Madness
Like a flea circus at a dog show
join:2000-01-05
Lynn, MA

2 edits

Madness

[Rave] This...

...drives me nuts!

503 Request temporarily denied: too many requests arriving from your IP address. See this page for more information

Really, ONE click on a link?

Edit: Should've been a rant; my bad!

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

dandelion

MVM

I have had trouble with my mouse lately trying for just one click and it making multiples instead. However, don't know what that should cause the 503 request for here. Maybe someone else will chime in.
Zach
Premium Member
join:2006-11-26
Llano, CA

1 recommendation

Zach to Madness

Premium Member

to Madness
While I can only speculate, I'm guessing your ISP is assigning clients a private IP and NATing many hundreds (or thousands) of subscribers through a single or small range of public IPs. As a mod on another site, we are seeing this much more regularly when problems arise due to IP blocking. To check, have a look at the WAN IP assigned to your router, NIC interface or whatever device is directly connected to your cable, DSL, or wireless box. If you are seeing an IP in the ranges listed below you are NATed....

10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255

Jon5
Premium Member
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

Jon5 to Madness

Premium Member

to Madness
I get that every once in a great while.

JALevinworth
@embarqhsd.net

JALevinworth to Madness

Anon

to Madness
One thing worth taking a look at... If you are using FF, you might tweak your Network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-server setting and also Network.http.max-connections-per-server to something lower. Mine was absurdly high that was an older versions default, that was later lowered.. but the new default didn't take. It was causing these kinds of problems.

»kb.mozillazine.org/Netwo ··· r-server

»kb.mozillazine.org/Netwo ··· r-server

I'd recommend numbers, but it really depends on your usage and connection type and stability. Some people like to raise these as speed tweaks, but too much of a good thing can also choke and block you too.

about:config
filter by: network.http.max for all related settings.

-Jim
JALevinworth

JALevinworth

Anon

I'll add that if you are using a proxy too, the above and Network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-proxy apply also.

See this:

»kb.mozillazine.org/Netwo ··· er-proxy

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas to Madness

Premium Member

to Madness
said by Madness:

...drives me nuts!

503 Request temporarily denied: too many requests arriving from your IP address. See this page for more information

Really, ONE click on a link?

Edit: Should've been a rant; my bad!

tell me about it, im not going to change my max connections as multithreading speeds things up a bit and they seem pretty darn reasonable to me. the only time i get that is if i go down a forum list and middle click the topics, which is a habbit ive been in for years. this is the only place i get that error when doing it. (and no, im not on a proxy) its a setting here they "could" change and im betting its a form of "dos protection"

JALevinworth
@embarqhsd.net

JALevinworth

Anon

said by thedragonmas:

im not going to change my max connections as multithreading speeds things up a bit and they seem pretty darn reasonable to me.

Yours are set for the correct defaults for the latest version, which is pretty reasonable for average usage (connection type, etc.).. so I agree. Mine were set for way above and still said "default", which as I said were old defaults. I also was getting sync issues when I started looking into this, which was compounding the problem.

Good tweaking is knowing when to go up and when to come down to match your environment and usage to get the max out of it. There is a faq around here that recommends pushing max persistent per server to 15 (from 6), but notes some sites will give you issues and may block you. Being blocked isn't getting the max Best to double check the settings and read the articles to get the whats and whys and how to apply them to you.

That's all If this is even OPs problem, which may not be.

-Jim