spc
Search similar:

uniqs
screenname
join:2004-08-12
Irvine, CA

screenname

Weird intenet connection problem

I am in Irvine, CA and have a weird problem since this past Thurs... I am keep losing internet connection after about half hour connection. I can get it back by either power cycle the router, or go into the router (Linksys WRT54g with tomato firmware) and release/renew the connection. When I check the signal level at 192.168.100.1, downstream is -5.5 dBmV and SNR of 37.8 dB. Upstream is 49.2 dBmV.
I have tried different routers (an ASUS 520 and a Netgear WNR3500L) and they behavior the same. When I called tech support, the first tech said the cable modem was configured for static IP and he went ahead to reset the modem. After couple of hours, I ran into the same problem and called tech support. The 2nd tech support said I should either replace the cable from the wall to the cable modem or take the router out of loop. Since I have replace the router couple of times and the cable between modem to router, I don't see take the router out of the loop will do anything. Is there something else I can check before calling again.
Thanks.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

Make sure connections are tight, lose any splitters you don't need.
if you run anything like BIT TORRENT that makes lots of connections, consumer level routers don't handle lots of connections very well.

--
2012 red envelopes: 04, deserved: 00, C'mon oh reallys: 02

bdnhsv
join:2012-01-20
Huntsville, AL

bdnhsv

when you are losing connectivity and you log into your router are you seeing a WAN IP address listed? If so, once you reboot the router or release/renew is the WAN IP still the same IP as it was before?
screenname
Irvine, CA

1 edit

screenname

Will have to remember to write down the IP address before I do release/renew.
I have bittorrent running but the # of connections are set to 50 and the configuration has not changed for months. As a test, I have shut down the torrent client but the problem still happen. Will check the cable today.
Thanks.

update: get rid of one splitter I don't need. Now my signal is improved to

downstream 0.0 dBmV/ 38.4 dB
upstream 42.9 dBmV
screenname

screenname to bdnhsv

to bdnhsv
It just acted up. When I did release/renew, I got a new IP address.

bdnhsv
Huntsville, AL

bdnhsv

About how long is it between times when your service is good and it starts to misbehave?
screenname
Irvine, CA

screenname

Very random. Last night, one last about 15 minutes. I reset it around 10 PM last night and I didn't have to do anything until about half hours ago. Not much happen during the night but I accessed the web in the morning on and off.

bdnhsv
Huntsville, AL

bdnhsv

This is just a guess, but it sounds like your ISP may be low on IP addresses in your market. A lot of times when an ISP gets low they will set lease times to very short intervals so that a maximum number of users can get on for a short period of time and surf/check email/etc... then another user can get on and do what they need to do. You could call and ask your local office, but the person in the office might not know what's going on or in some cases they won't admit to the problem. Again, I can't guarantee this is what's happening, but it's what it sounds like.
screenname
Irvine, CA

screenname

If there is the case, I would think other would have reported here as well but I don't see others are having the same issues.
screenname

screenname

It is going crazy now. Each connect last less than 10 minutes and each renew get me a new IP address. I even got couple starts with 184.179.xxx.xxx

coxcableuser
@cox.net

coxcableuser to screenname

Anon

to screenname
Hi, I'm also in Irvine CA. I was just looking through threads on this forum and I'm having this exact same issue. My signal values are pretty close to yours (all seem to be within specs). It's been happening for the last few days. My public IP address changes more often than usual after resetting all equipment. The issue happens less at night (around 11pm to sunrise) and mostly during the afternoon to late afternoon. Cox has sent someone to check the physical cables and those seem to check out. So I was just wondering if you've been able to solve the issue? Thanks!
screenname
Irvine, CA

screenname

No, the problem is still here. Internet access can be lost even no or very little activities are going on. The last connect lasted less than 30 minutes when only one laptop is powered on and its lid closed!
screenname

screenname to coxcableuser

to coxcableuser
==
sorry, double posted

coxcableuser
@cox.net

Anon

to screenname
I'm considering replacing my modem. Hoping that might do something to solve the issue?
screenname
Irvine, CA

screenname

how old is your modem? Mine is a Linksys that has been in used for about 5 yrs.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to screenname

Premium Member

to screenname
said by screenname:

Will have to remember to write down the IP address before I do release/renew.
I have bittorrent running but the # of connections are set to 50 and the configuration has not changed for months. As a test, I have shut down the torrent client but the problem still happen. Will check the cable today.
Thanks.

update: get rid of one splitter I don't need. Now my signal is improved to

downstream 0.0 dBmV/ 38.4 dB
upstream 42.9 dBmV

those levels are now VERY GOOD!
screenname
Irvine, CA

screenname

But now I experience more disconnections than when the signal level is not that good. Can this be an issue with the cable modem?

coxcableuser
@cox.net

Anon

to screenname
My modem is also about 5 years old.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to screenname

Premium Member

to screenname
said by screenname:

But now I experience more disconnections than when the signal level is not that good. Can this be an issue with the cable modem?

Does this issue persist with the router OUT OF THE LOOP?
if it does, your modem might be dying.

magila
@wdc.com

magila to screenname

Anon

to screenname
I'm also in Irvine, CA and am experiencing the same issue as well. Best as I can tell from my dealings with tech support Cox is aware of the problem and is working to resolve it. It's not a problem with your equipment. Not much to be done at this point other than wait for Cox to fix their stuff.
screenname
Irvine, CA

screenname

When I called Sat, tech support did not give any indication that there is a problem at their end. Will you get notification when the problem is resolved?

magila
@wdc.com

magila

Anon

I got a call from someone at Cox late in the afternoon on Sunday who acknowledged that they had found a problem on their end. They also claimed the problem had been fixed though... so I'm not counting on them calling back when the problem really is fixed.

CoxTech1
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1

There was an issue in one of the California markets yesterday which was indeed resolved so your issue may be unrelated at this point.
screenname
Irvine, CA

3 edits

screenname

Right before noon today, I replaced the Linksys WRT54g with my Netgear WNR3500L (the one I have been using for several months) thinking the problem has been resolved since no disconnection occurred this morning. The first connection lasted about 6 minutes, 2nd connection lasted abut 10 minutes. I switched back to the Linksys WRT54g just now to see if that makes any difference.

update 1: connection just lost. Lasted less than 30 minutes.
update 2: connection lost after 20 minutes.

bskuared
It's Hip To Be Square
Premium Member
join:2001-12-02
San Clemente, CA

1 recommendation

bskuared to screenname

Premium Member

to screenname
check out the story in the OC Register

»www.ocregister.com/artic ··· net.html

"Some Cox Communications Internet customers in Orange County report they have been without service most of the three-day Presidents Day weekend.

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

No_Strings

There's some major construction along Jeffery on the north end of Irvine. I bet somebody didn't call before they dug.

coxcableuser
@cox.net

Anon

to screenname
Everything seems to be running ok so far today. Hopefully everything stays running. Thanks everyone for the help and updates!
screenname
Irvine, CA

1 edit

screenname

Things are looking good. I switched back to my Netgear router about 4.5 hrs ago and have no disconnection so far.

magila
@cox.net

magila to screenname

Anon

to screenname
Just got back from work and my connection is working fine now. Looks like they got things straitened out.

bskuared
It's Hip To Be Square
Premium Member
join:2001-12-02
San Clemente, CA

bskuared to No_Strings

Premium Member

to No_Strings
Hi Stringy!!!