uniqs

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Gautier, MS

Pashune

Premium Member

Anything on new Residential or Business plans?

So currently, you can get 50/1 residential with a 50 GB cap or 100 GB cap if you bundle. According to my usage there's no way I can stay under 100 GB, much less 50 GB. I don't watch TV and I'd drown in overages.

A while back I heard there was rumor of an 'enhanced' Residential plan. Something for us heavier network users. Something along a 300 GB cap would've been perfect for me. I'm not a business user and I cannot afford $140 per month for internet.

The 5 meg package is now also too slow for what I do these days.

I'm still on a grandfathered 10 meg plan, but that may change someday in the future.

Has anyone heard anything new on this rumor or the potential of new tiers in the future?
bastage
join:2011-02-14
Kuna, ID

bastage

God I hope so soon.. I know I am a heavy user & am willing to pay a reasonable price for it.. But the 230 a month I would have to pay currently to cover my used bandwidth from the 10mb plan is ridiculous..

cableonehs
@cableone.net

cableonehs to Pashune

Anon

to Pashune
I've never been able to figure out exactly how Cableone calculates bandwidth usage. I'm on their "triple play" deal and have 50/2 and 100gb cap. My total usage per month is always around 100gb... but "billable" usage per month always averages around 40gb. I'm rarely on the net between 12a-8a when it's uncapped... so I don't know why "billable" would be significantly lower than total.

idahodude
@96.18.175.x

idahodude to Pashune

Anon

to Pashune
I just signed up and had the Business SoHo package (50x2) installed. There is currently no bandwidth throttling or monthly data caps in the Business packages. The salesman I was in contact with said that data caps arent being implemented for Business packages. The "My Bandwidth" page on the mycableone website is completely blank

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium Member
Gautier, MS

Pashune

Premium Member

said by idahodude :

I just signed up and had the Business SoHo package (50x2) installed. There is currently no bandwidth throttling or monthly data caps in the Business packages. The salesman I was in contact with said that data caps arent being implemented for Business packages. The "My Bandwidth" page on the mycableone website is completely blank

That's bizarre. Here's what I pulled up on the business page:
quote:
Download speeds up to 50 Mbps
Upload speeds up to 2 Mbps
100 GB Data Usage Monthly
Optional Static IP (additional cost)
20 Cable One Email Accounts
7+ GB of storage/email acct
No Throttling
They still advertise a 100 GB cap. If this package is actually unlimited and this is somehow a marketing error, I'll sign up sooner than I thought for it.
bastage
join:2011-02-14
Kuna, ID

bastage to idahodude

to idahodude
I Think your salesman lied about no caps..

They may not be actively enforceing them, but there pretty damn clearly listed.

If I am in fact wrong & there really are no caps then I probably still not sign up unless its going to actually work in the evenings unlike my current 10mb grandfathered plan.

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium Member
Gautier, MS

Pashune

Premium Member

said by bastage:

I Think your salesman lied about no caps..

They may not be actively enforceing them, but there pretty damn clearly listed.

If I am in fact wrong & there really are no caps then I probably still not sign up unless its going to actually work in the evenings unlike my current 10mb grandfathered plan.

I think it's a possibility. Remember when the 10 meg was still available to new customers, yet it was still subject to throttling conditions if you downloaded more than 5 GB during the day? I've exceeded that limit more times than I could ever count, yet I haven't been throttled for at least 2 years now.

idahodude
@cableone.net

idahodude to Pashune

Anon

to Pashune
@Pashune:

I have an email from my sales manager that states that they have to put the "possible" caps on the website, however, when I log into the "MyAccount" page and check my bandwidth, the gauge that would normally be there for showing your data cap is missing. I highly doubt he would have lied, since Ive dealt with him in the past and have always got that "good guy" vibe from him.

The contract would also have the caps in the fine print, and theres nothing about daily/monthly data caps. I use about 5-7Gb a day and no complaints, no slowdowns (50+mbit down all day at all times).

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium Member
Gautier, MS

Pashune

Premium Member

said by idahodude :

@Pashune:

I have an email from my sales manager that states that they have to put the "possible" caps on the website, however, when I log into the "MyAccount" page and check my bandwidth, the gauge that would normally be there for showing your data cap is missing. I highly doubt he would have lied, since Ive dealt with him in the past and have always got that "good guy" vibe from him.

The contract would also have the caps in the fine print, and theres nothing about daily/monthly data caps. I use about 5-7Gb a day and no complaints, no slowdowns (50+mbit down all day at all times).

That's just awesome. I currently have no issues with my 10 meg tier though I'd like to someday upgrade.

So I'm assuming the price increases just account for higher upload speeds, email accounts, and web page space/bandwidth?

50x2 business tier is $70 per month I assume? What about installation fees? I'm curious.

idahodude
@cableone.net

idahodude

Anon

Theres 4 prices, 3 year, 2 year, 1 year and M2M.

Business (SOHO) High Speed Data (50x2 Mbps)

Upload speeds up to 2 Mbps
Optional 1, 5 or 13 IP blocks are available for an additional cost)
20 Cable One Email Accounts
Unlimited Amount of monthly Web Hosting Traffic
100 Gigabyte Data Package
Up to 150 GB of hosting space
Host your site on a Linux server
1000 domain email accounts
Create a blog with SiteBlog
Support of FrontPage extensions
Sitebuilder tool allows easy website creation up to 10 pages
View statistics on your web site

Pricing Options:

36 Month Agreement $59.50 (Free cable modem lease)
24 Month Agreement $71.00 (Modem Included In Price)
12 Month Agreement $74.50 (Modem Included In Price)
Month to Month $78.00 (Modem Included In Price)

Business (OFFICE) High Speed Data 50x3 Mbps (1 Static IP Included)

Upload speeds up to 3 Mbps
1 Static IP included, 5 or 13 IP blocks are available for an additional cost)
30 Cable One Email Accounts
300 Gigabyte Data Package
Up to 250 GB of hosting space
Host your site on a Linux server
2000 domain email accounts
Create a blog with SiteBlog
Sitebuilder tool allows easy website creation up to 8 pages

Pricing Options:

36 Month Agreement $110.50 (Free cable modem/router lease)
24 Month Agreement $117.00 (Free cable modem/router lease)
12 Month Agreement $123.50 (Free cable modem/router lease)
Month to Month $130.00 (Free cable modem/router lease)

Business (ENTERPRISE) High Speed Data 50x4 Mbps (1 static IP included)

Upload speeds up to 4 Mbps
Unlimited Data Package/Usage
1 Static IP included, 5 or 13 IP blocks are available for an additional cost)
50 Cable One Email Accounts
Up to 300 GB of hosting space
Host your site on Linux or Windows at no additional cost
2500 domain email accounts
Create a blog with BizBlog
Sitebuilder tool allows easy website creation up to 10 pages

Pricing Options:

36 Month Agreement $195.50 (Free cable modem/router lease)
24 Month Agreement $207.00 (Free cable modem/router lease)
12 Month Agreement $215.50 (Free cable modem/router lease)
Month to Month $230.00 (Free cable modem/router lease)

Additional Static IP addresses if needed for a small additional monthly charge:

1 Single Static IP
5 Block of Static IP’s
13 Block Static IP’s

For all NEW installations, there will be a onetime professional setup fee based off of which term you choose below:

36 Month Agreement $50.00
24 Month Agreement $100.00
12 Month Agreement $150.00
Month to Month $200.00

They sometimes are able to cut the install fee down, I paid 1/2 because I already had residential service at one point at this address.

areoh
join:2001-11-10
Kansas City, MO

areoh to Pashune

to Pashune
I can confirm. I'm on the 50x3 and there are no overages for going over the cap... AT THIS TIME.

Here's a few quotes I received from business support (not going to paste in full communication.) This was back in September when I had questions regarding the MyBandwith graphs.
"Currently Business data customers as not being capped or charged so you would not see all of the graphs."

"Per our development team: While the My Bandwidth portal is accessible to business customer is does not support business data plans effectively. We still have a lot of work to do to make the portal usable for business customers.

Once the portal is adjusted for business customer plans it will be updated minute to minute. As far as how data will be tracked, we do not know if it will included all data or just data measured towards the 300GB limit. I will assume it will either show both or just measured data.

I will try and update you once we have further information. There is no timeframe on when this will be complete. Of course we will not charge our customers for exceeding their limits prior to offering a tracker to them."

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium Member
Gautier, MS

Pashune

Premium Member

If that was in September, that would be about 6 months ago or so.

Is it wrong that I hope they sweep the caps under the rug? The business caps don't seem to be a high priority for them at this time.

Heck, my connection, though I'm supposed to be throttled after 5 GB or so, never seems to happen. I've also never been contacted despite downloading 150 GB per month, constantly exceeding the 'daily cap'.. and that's been going on for over a year.

areoh
Kansas City, MO

areoh

...we went over the cap a couple of times not long ago and nothing happened in any way. I've heard of one local residential customer going over his 50G cap and was never charged; this is hearsay, though. But, you never know...

slimmy
@cableone.net

slimmy to Pashune

Anon

to Pashune
if this is true I will switch from my 10mb right now.

wired4life
@cableone.net

wired4life to Pashune

Anon

to Pashune
I got an account notification from Cableone stating that my rate was going to go from $43 a month (5Mb plan) to $50. I've been with them for 7 years. So hold on to your butts...no more grandfathered in for a lower rate.

I'm switching to Century Link because for a full year (7Mb plan) is about $35 a month and at the 13 month mark it goes up to $45. Still cheaper then Cablenone!

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium Member
Gautier, MS

Pashune

Premium Member

said by wired4life :

I got an account notification from Cableone stating that my rate was going to go from $43 a month (5Mb plan) to $50. I've been with them for 7 years. So hold on to your butts...no more grandfathered in for a lower rate.

I'm switching to Century Link because for a full year (7Mb plan) is about $35 a month and at the 13 month mark it goes up to $45. Still cheaper then Cablenone!

U-verse is in my area (up to 18 meg; funny that I used to only be able to get 1.5 meg DSL here..), but I have a grudge with AT&T so I'm standing my ground with CableOne for as long as I can.

My rate is still $53 per month for 10 meg. I haven't received any notices regarding a price increase at this time.
CenturyLink
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

CenturyLink to wired4life

to wired4life
Wired4life

Hello, We are happy to hear you are interested in new services we can help answer questions or set up new services for you. You can reach us via email at talktous@centurylink.com

Thanks
Patti
Centurylink Help

mgr
@96.19.199.x

mgr to Pashune

Anon

to Pashune
I too got one of those notices. I missed out on the 10mb bandwagon. I don't like the low data caps, but Uverse is like 250GB cap I can get 18mb plan for about what im paying now. This is cableones slick way of forcing you to upgrade or pay more to stay put. I have about had it with Cableone. I would rather stay with a cable internet service i wish we had Charter in our area.

FrostByghte
Premium Member
join:2008-03-06
Altus, OK

FrostByghte to idahodude

Premium Member

to idahodude
I'm just wondering, are they still ignoring caps on business accounts? I had no data on my account then about 2 months ago it started to fill in. I have the 300g capped business plan. If they are still not billing, I'm wondering how much is safe and what would be considered too much to ignore?

areoh
Kansas City, MO

areoh

Can't really comment as we've not gone past the magic cap number in the last couple of months. It would be best to confirm w/ CableOne. Reach out to your local Internet Engineer/Manager. Just request him/her/them when you call. If you're interested in a Biz. plan, they'll be happy to speak w/ you.

I will say that at the moment, we're not getting advertised (business) speeds during peek hours. I've just haven't gotten around to calling in quite yet.

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium Member
Gautier, MS

Pashune

Premium Member

said by areoh:

I will say that at the moment, we're not getting advertised (business) speeds during peek hours. I've just haven't gotten around to calling in quite yet.

Doesn't sound good. They've got low caps and they're already having capacity problems.

I still refuse to budge off of my 10 meg tier for now.

areoh
Kansas City, MO

areoh

Non-Peek (...speed across the Internet to Speedtest.net via »myspeedtest.cableone.net ):

Last Result:
Download Speed: 52153 kbps (6519.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 3296 kbps (412 KB/sec transfer rate)
Sunday, May 27, 2012 9:47:47 AM
areoh

areoh

... I'll give them a call sometime this week durin' peek hours.
XIII
Premium Member
join:2010-06-16
Scottsdale, AZ

XIII to Pashune

Premium Member

to Pashune
I have their standard plan, its 5/.5 and $50/month. No caps, though the agreement says a 3GB/day (soft) cap, though I go over it every day...