All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

lalala
@rr.com

lalala to antdude

Anon

to antdude

Re: Satellite or cable service for local TV broadcasts?

Getting the double play bundle is probably a better deal since for the same price, you get digital cable with the variety tier. That means you get much more than just the locals.

Note that even with digital cable and the variety tier, TW does not offer all those Chinese subchannels that are available OTA. The only ones you get are KSCI 18, KSCI 18.8, and Skylink TV 31.5. Missing are OTA channels: 20.3, 31.7, 31.8, 31.9, 44.6, 44.7, 44.8, 57.9, 62.2, and 62.6 that have Chinese content. TW does offer a few premium channels such as Jade and Phoenix, but they are relatively expensive.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

2 edits

antdude

Premium Member

said by lalala :

Getting the double play bundle is probably a better deal since for the same price, you get digital cable with the variety tier. That means you get much more than just the locals.

Note that even with digital cable and the variety tier, TW does not offer all those Chinese subchannels that are available OTA. The only ones you get are KSCI 18, KSCI 18.8, and Skylink TV 31.5. Missing are OTA channels: 20.3, 31.7, 31.8, 31.9, 44.6, 44.7, 44.8, 57.9, 62.2, and 62.6 that have Chinese content. TW does offer a few premium channels such as Jade and Phoenix, but they are relatively expensive.

Yeah, I was wondering why there are missing foreign channels (not just Chinese) from TWC, DirectTV, etc. Hence, I still like OTA. I thought they would carry all of them if they are broadcasted OTA. I assume one can't ask for them either?
antdude

antdude to lalala

Premium Member

to lalala
said by lalala :

Variety? I only need the local broadcast channels though unless that package is free which is not. Paying $84.79 (local broadcast TV + standard Internet's 10/1 speeds + $10 DVR rental) is already expensive enough. I used to only pay for Internet with only OTA TV and DTVPal DVR (no subscription and leasing; only can do OTA though). Basically, I am trying to be cheap as possible for TV service.

lalala
@rr.com

lalala

Anon

TW's gives you a slight discount if you are a new user & purchase a bundle. That is why the price is close to the individually-priced services added together.

Honestly, do not expect TW to add any OTA subchannels. Subchannels are not considered must-carry. Plus, there are the obvious reasons like cost, bandwidth, and popularity. Are you going to watch all the OTA foreign language channels anyway? Is your family fluent in English, Spanish, Korean, Mandarin, Vietnamese, and more? What channels & languages are you looking for? No idea about the other languages, but I do know some options for streaming Chinese content.

I have seen you posting in the AVS forum before. There is somebody who just posted a picture in the LA OTA thread about his antenna setup. His TVFool is bad as well. Not saying that his setup would work for you, but it might be something worth investigating.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by lalala :

TW's gives you a slight discount if you are a new user & purchase a bundle. That is why the price is close to the individually-priced services added together.

Honestly, do not expect TW to add any OTA subchannels. Subchannels are not considered must-carry. Plus, there are the obvious reasons like cost, bandwidth, and popularity. Are you going to watch all the OTA foreign language channels anyway? Is your family fluent in English, Spanish, Korean, Mandarin, Vietnamese, and more? What channels & languages are you looking for? No idea about the other languages, but I do know some options for streaming Chinese content.

I have seen you posting in the AVS forum before. There is somebody who just posted a picture in the LA OTA thread about his antenna setup. His TVFool is bad as well. Not saying that his setup would work for you, but it might be something worth investigating.

I already have TWC RR in the old home. I was planning to transfer it to the new home. Do I still get the new subscriber's prices? Hmm, maybe I can use one of my folks' names. Just Chinese and Korean.

lalala
@rr.com

lalala

Anon

As you do not have cable tv from TW, you should be able to get the new user pricing. As far as Korean programming goes, TW only has KSCI 18.1 and KXLA 44.1. As with Chinese, there are premium Korean channels. They are different from what you get OTA.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by lalala :

As you do not have cable tv from TW, you should be able to get the new user pricing. As far as Korean programming goes, TW only has KSCI 18.1 and KXLA 44.1. As with Chinese, there are premium Korean channels. They are different from what you get OTA.

Interesting and thanks.