Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

[WIN7] mouse frozen coming out of standby

I already checked the port that the mouse is on to not put the device to sleep or whatever that option is called but it still happens.. the mouse is a optical Microsoft mouse maybe a year and a half old.. it works fine if you unplug and plug it back in.

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire

Cudni

MVM

have you got the latest drivers for it? check eventviewer logs for errors or warnings in case it offers more clues

Cudni

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

no errors and have the latest drivers.. I noticed other people had the same issues on-line.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN

Dustyn to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
PS/2 or USB? Nevermind... would have to be USB.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

It's USB

Darek
Premium Member
join:2000-12-04
Chicago, IL

Darek

Premium Member

It could be the problem with USB port.
Try connect it through different one.
(the same happened to my mouse and switching it fixed the issue)
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
said by Subaru:

I already checked the port that the mouse is on to not put the device to sleep or whatever that option is called but it still happens..

If the entire computer sleeps, I think that option will have no effect. It only controls whether the OS can independently sleep an unused device.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to Darek

Premium Member

to Darek
sadly I tried that did not work

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31

jabarnut to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
May be a long shot, but did you try a different mouse?
Stranger things have happened. (By the way, if for some strange reason it did turn out to be a defective mouse, Microsoft is really good about replacing them.
No questions asked, and free shipping. (Only drawback is they won't send you a free one if "OEM" is anywhere on the P/N).

JB9
Stay Gold
Premium Member
join:2009-05-14

JB9

Premium Member

Anything under mouse > power settings?

Did you try to grab the latest drivers for it?

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
Galaxy M31

jabarnut

Premium Member

Yeah, he's already done that, and then some.
As illogical as it sounds, I'm thinking the Mouse is defective. I suppose it could also have to do with how may other USB devices are connected, and the related power draw, but I'm just guessing here.
And my best guess (and that's all it is...purely a guess), is that a new mouse wouldn't have this problem.
I feel Subaru really mouse try this, just to eliminate that possibility.
Oh, and for what it's worth, I've often found mouse drivers problematic. I rarely install them. The OS will recognize it, and offer basic functions. Unless I care about the extra 'fancy stuff", I rarely install specific drivers for a basic USB mouse.
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

Agree with the no-software rule.

(No-one needs more than 2 buttons and a wheel, anyway )

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to jabarnut

Premium Member

to jabarnut
I have only 2 things plugged into the USB ports on the computer

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

1 edit

Dustyn to dave

Premium Member

to dave
Click for full size
said by dave:

(No-one needs more than 2 buttons and a wheel, anyway )

I gotta have my forward and back navigation buttons!

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
Galaxy M31

jabarnut to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
Actually, I have 5 button Intellimouse Opticals (one of my favorite oldie but goodies), on 2 machines. An XP machine and a Win 7 machine. And all 5 buttons, including forward and back, work with the native Windows drivers.
I just can't assign "special" functions to different buttons etc, but don't care because they do exactly what I need them to.

takeahike
You sure ask a lot of dumb questions
Premium Member
join:2005-01-07
Catacombs

takeahike

Premium Member

That's why despite that I am as environmentally conscience as the next person I don't use any power saving modes on any of my systems and set up all customers systems the same way--that is, only with a screen-saver. Real quick bounce back and none of these Microsoft curve-balls.
SlowFreddy
join:2009-07-10
united state

SlowFreddy to Subaru

to Subaru
Check wire going into Mouse, wiggle it and see if the light goes on n off. had one did simular.
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave to takeahike

Premium Member

to takeahike
said by takeahike:

That's why despite that I am as environmentally conscience as the next person I don't use any power saving modes on any of my systems and set up all customers systems the same way--that is, only with a screen-saver. Real quick bounce back and none of these Microsoft curve-balls.

And yet all of my 6 home systems recover from sleep state without problems. Perhaps the software isn't as broken as you think?

As you can tell, I'm not much fond of the cookie-cutter approach you're advising here.

Maybe 5 or 10 years ago when device manufacturers were still trying to get to grips with reliable power management, you'd have had a valid point, but not now.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

One thing I noticed is the buttons like right clicking seems to work and left click but just that you can't move the mouse pointer..

I did replace the mouse with a logitech since it was on sale but I still have the older one I'm going to try on my system to see what happens.

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
Galaxy M31

2 edits

jabarnut

Premium Member

Yes, for sure let us know if trying the original mouse cures the problem.
And remember I was complaining about some of the drivers that come with specific mice? (Here goes...I'll probably really get it for this one).
But of all the drivers out there over the years, I'll bet I've found some of the Logitech drivers among some of the worst ever written.
Even with a couple of Logitech Webcams and Keyboards I have, I use the native Windows drivers, which, while there is certainly quite a loss in function with 'special' features' (especially the webcams), at least I don't have to deal with some of the problems the manufacturers specific drivers ended up causing me.
Ok..end of rant. I'll start another thread sometime about Ati and other video card drivers.

(Edit) Oh, and I'm a little confused now about this:
said by Subaru:

I did replace the mouse with a logitech since it was on sale but I still have the older one I'm going to try on my system to see what happens.

The original post mentiones the problem is with a Microsoft Mouse. Then you mention replacing it with a Logitech, but now you're going to try the "older one" to see what happens.
Which mouse is the one that's freezing up? And was it something that started all of the sudden? (After changing the mouse to a different one? Or, after installing other software, adding other hardware, etc?)

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

So far no issues with the replacement on her computer and nothing on my end as well.. still going to do some checking

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium Member
join:2005-01-16

1 edit

caffeinator to jabarnut

Premium Member

to jabarnut
I don't have any real suggestions, but just to comment that my wired USB CM Storm Spawn does not need drivers after initial seup as it has internal memory. But, there is still a known bug in one of the firmware versions where about 1 out of 10 times sleeping, it won't wake up the PC until you unplug/replug it. Perhaps it's a bug?

*edit*
Realized something today; since I've switched over to 64-bit Win7, there hasn't been any issues with my mouse waking the PC up. IDK, perhaps a better implementation of something?
47717768 (banned)
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned) to Subaru

to Subaru
similar problem here. I am waiting for the replacement right now.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

How simple was it for you?
47717768 (banned)
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned)

Spelling is fixed . Well the mouse will freeze up very often. I have tried different USB ports, and still no luck.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Can you right click and a menu shows up or nothing happens?

I dunno the logitech one I got for her is still working.. weird..
47717768 (banned)
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned)

It would not respond at all. It takes me about four clicks to get it going again.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Is it a MS mouse? Did the red optical light go out?
47717768 (banned)
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned)

Don't even ask LOL. It is none brand name cheap $5 mouse with 3 year warranty . As for optical mouse lights they are still would be on.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Oh LOL