spc
Search similar:

uniqs
rmw857
join:2009-02-16
Hiawatha, IA

rmw857

[IA] Docsis 3.0 Recommended modems

I have searched the forums to try and find any list of mediacom supported Docsis 3 Modems so if this has been posted or there is a list somewhere sorry for the double post.

Currently i am renting a modem through mediacom which is an DCM425 and looking to purchase a docsis 3.0 I've checked out a few that the price seems very reasonable. It seems that the Motorola SB6120 and SB6121 can be really good for some and problematic for others. I also found a Netgear CMD31T but there isnt a whole lot of reviews or post out about it.

If anyone could suggest some modems that Mediacom has approved or is know to work it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Randy
Nexis
join:2002-04-29
USA

Nexis

Any DOCSIS 2 cable modem will work with our network. We currently support these DOCSIS 3 modems:

Cisco DPC3000
Cisco DPC3825
Cisco DPC3925
Motorola SB6120
Motorola SB6121 (Officially supported, but avoid due to firmware issues)

TJFriday
join:2009-06-29
Des Moines, IA

TJFriday to rmw857

to rmw857
I have had great luck and excellent support with Mediacom on the Motorola SB6120. It has been rock-solid for me and several of my associates. It's ~$75 on Amazon.com. If you PM Mediacomchad with your MAC address, he can have the latest firmware supported by Mediacom loaded to it once you purchase and provision the modem.

I like the Motorola modems a bit better than the Cisco (formerly Scientific Atlanta) modems because it provides more information in the diagnostic web pages. This may change as the firmware for the Cisco modems gets better. Like Nexis mentioned, I'd stay away from the SB6121 for now because of ongoing firmware issues (Motorola's issue, not Mediacom's).

Boss302_1970
join:2009-12-11

Boss302_1970 to rmw857

to rmw857
the cisco dpc 3000 is working great here
Sajan Parikh
join:2011-03-05
Walcott, IA

Sajan Parikh to rmw857

to rmw857
This isn't officially supported [yet?] due to MC not being able to push firmware updates, but I've been using this on the Ultra50 place for about 8 months.

Motorola SB6121

»www.motorola.com/Video-S ··· 21_US-EN

ZC_217
join:2010-02-07
Des Moines, IA

ZC_217 to rmw857

to rmw857
Cisco DPC3000 has been solid as a rock for me.
GrandMstrBud
join:2005-05-25
Davenport, IA

GrandMstrBud to rmw857

to rmw857
Odd, somehow my post got deleted.
Clever Name
Premium Member
join:2005-05-06
Davenport, IA

4 edits

Clever Name to rmw857

Premium Member

to rmw857
Motorola sb6120 works great in Davenport. Browsing through the 1400+ reviews, most say the only "advantage" of the sb121 is extra heat due to the slightly smaller case.

»www.amazon.com/gp/produc ··· 01UI2FPE

Are you cisco 3000 people using the modem mediacom supplied for $5 a month? It worked fine but I dumped it once they started charging rental fees again. THEN I had to call several months later when I noticed they were still charging me rental fees for the modem I returned (I got a receipt for a reason). Love it.

JohnWhorfin
@comcast.net

JohnWhorfin to rmw857

Anon

to rmw857
Don't buy a Netgear CMD31T! I have one that just failed after six weeks! Dealing with Netgear (lack of) customer service is a nightmare. The technician from my ISP recommended Motorola or Arris products.

FerretFace
@mchsi.com

FerretFace to rmw857

Anon

to rmw857
Was looking to replace my Linksys BECFMU10 Modem (10 yrs, old) and my Linksys router WRT54GS (7 yrs. old) with a modem with built-in wireless router. Convenience and all.
Researched Motorola SBG6580 on Best Buy/Amazon. Poor results. Also, researched Zoom 5350. Better results, but still problems.
Some went with Motorola SB6121 modem (only) and used whatever router Mediacom provided.
Looks like its back to the drawing boards for me. My aged Linksys setup works fine, for the most part. But only get max speed of 7 Mbps and normally 4-5. Also drops once and awhile. Hence the need to replace.
Doubt if I'll go with a modem with built-in wireless router. Seems like to many problems...
Pringlescan
join:2007-01-05
Des Moines, IA

Pringlescan

said by FerretFace :

Was looking to replace my Linksys BECFMU10 Modem (10 yrs, old) and my Linksys router WRT54GS (7 yrs. old) with a modem with built-in wireless router. Convenience and all.
Researched Motorola SBG6580 on Best Buy/Amazon. Poor results. Also, researched Zoom 5350. Better results, but still problems.
Some went with Motorola SB6121 modem (only) and used whatever router Mediacom provided.
Looks like its back to the drawing boards for me. My aged Linksys setup works fine, for the most part. But only get max speed of 7 Mbps and normally 4-5. Also drops once and awhile. Hence the need to replace.
Doubt if I'll go with a modem with built-in wireless router. Seems like to many problems...

Mediacom doesn't provide just routers. It's a modem/router combo only. Go with the Motorola SB6120 as it's the best modem out there. Ignore reviews on it because most reviews are not because the products sucks, but the user has limited knowledge. Then get your self a nice router. Like a Belkin Sharemax N300 or a Belkin Play N600/HD or a Linksys router.

I currently got the Sharmax N300(F7D7301) and it works great. Though if you have the knowledge flash the firmware on it.
GrandMstrBud
Davenport, IA

GrandMstrBud to rmw857

to rmw857
I have a SB6121 and they can't seem to get my download speeds right. I upgraded to the Ultra 50 and they tried several times to provision it and I get at most 14-15 down. The upstream is fine at about 4.8 or so. I have a tech coming out tomorrow to check the line.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

1 edit

MediacomChad

Premium Member

GrandMstrBud, if you still have issue with the service after the tech leaves, please PM your account information to me. I will be happy to make sure this gets resolved.

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88 to GrandMstrBud

Premium Member

to GrandMstrBud
Do you have cable tv service?

vb
@mchsi.com

vb to rmw857

Anon

to rmw857
How about the Motorola SBV6220 which supports VOIP. Anyone using this with Mediacom?
GrandMstrBud
Davenport, IA

GrandMstrBud to rmw857

to rmw857
Well they came out and we hooked the modem directly to a computer and it was at 50/5 right on. But when going through my Linksys WRT54GS the download drops to under 30. I have no idea why and I reset it to defaults and same thing. When I had ultra 50 before I was using the Cisco modem so I never had that problem with that modem so maybe I need to look into buying that?

caseywor
join:2004-04-19
Mobile, AL

caseywor to vb

to vb
Chad told me that they "do not support purchased phone modems at the moment." I was inquiring about those. You can use their modem for phone, and yours for internet and save the $5 per month.
GrandMstrBud
Davenport, IA

GrandMstrBud

What do you mean by use their modem for phone and mine for internet?

caseywor
Mobile, AL
·Verizon Broadban..
·AT&T FTTP

caseywor

As weird as it sounds, if you have internet and phone service from Mediacom, you can use your own modem for the internet service, and theirs for the phone, and they don't charge the $5 a month fee. I just did this myself per recommendations from users in this forum. Basically, they changed my service to where my modem is provisioned on their network for HSI, and their modem is only provisioned for phone. Their policy is that if their modem is only being used for Mediacom phone service, they don't charge the fee.
caseywor

1 edit

caseywor

Truth be known, I like this setup. First of all, there is no single point of failure for both HSI and phone service, and also I can have the phone modem and HSI modem in different locations. For instance, my phone modem has to be in a very specific place due to proximity to my telephone NID on the side of my house. There is a jack that back feeds the dial tone to the NID, and then sends it to the other rooms. However, I can then put the HSI modem, along with my router, in another central location that has a cable outlet so the wifi signal coverage is better.

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88 to GrandMstrBud

Premium Member

to GrandMstrBud
Thats an old router, you should upgrade

caseywor
Mobile, AL
·Verizon Broadban..
·AT&T FTTP

caseywor

Yes it is old....it's the same one I have, circa 2004. I guess we are as bad as the cable companies about holding on to the old for as long as we can for the sake of economics. Of course, I speak only for myself....I can be a cheapskate.
caseywor

caseywor

Correction, my is a G, not a GS, his isn't as old as mine.
tdawg
join:2012-01-09
Des Moines, IA

tdawg to caseywor

to caseywor
I have the sb6121 and it's working fine getting 30mb down and only paying for 12 mb
Pringlescan
join:2007-01-05
Des Moines, IA

Pringlescan

said by tdawg:

I have the sb6121 and it's working fine getting 30mb down and only paying for 12 mb

Your not really getting 30mb. It's more like a boost. Speed tests may show you getting 30mb, but when you go to download from lets say MS or another site it will max at or close to 1.8MB/s. I've gotten it to max at 2.2MB/s downloading a legit linux.iso torrent.

Juneau
@mchsi.com

Juneau

Anon

I've seen similar results here as well. Microsoft was able to do 1.9MB/s for a while but settled at 1.8MB/s for the long run. Still better than the 1.40MB/s or so I was seeing. Pure FTP runs a little higher but that is common, at least for me, compared to an http download. I haven't tried a torrent yet.