dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
videonex
join:2001-07-22

videonex to antdude

to antdude

Re: Satellite or cable service for local TV broadcasts?

If you really can't do OTA in that location, stay with TWC all the way. They don't have all of the sub channels but neither Dish or Directv have any. KSCI seems to have the best relationship with TWC as most of their subs are carried. As for getting others added, a combination of kindly asking TWC to add plus a similar push at the broadcaster to make it worth TWC's while to carry will do the most good. I have had good results with TWC's DVR. Best part is that if you do have a problem, it's theirs and they simply replace it. Good luck!

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by videonex:

If you really can't do OTA in that location, stay with TWC all the way...

FYI. The previous house owner finally moved out. They also left their coax cables and tiny satellite dish on the roof. I also managed to borrow a portable 7" DTV with a rabbit ear's single/one antenna. I went to explore while my folks were doing other things.

With this portable DTV, I only got channel 31.x indoor and outdoor and everywhere I could face on the sloped/tilted ground level. I also sort of got more channels, but sort of stable with FOX 11.x and KABC 7.x if I am outside in front of the house's garage and facing Mount Wilson's direction(?) (forgot to bring a compass to get its exact direction). I had to face the big hills/mountains away from the neighbor's big house. I also noticed the trees were much taller than the houses. I wonder if it possible to stick an antenna up there on their main trunks (they're not higher than the huge hills though). Is that possible?

Also, can I use that satellite dish to act like an OTA antenna? For kicks, I tried hooking up it up to the portable DTV and it can pick up channel 31.x like the antenna! And no, it can't get it without coax port connected. Also, the sky was cloudy and started to clearn out if that matters.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

said by antdude:

Also, can I use that satellite dish to act like an OTA antenna?

You can use the coaxial cable itself as an "antenna", you can use a coat hanger, you can use that satellite dish.... Are any of those reliable or practical ? No.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

1 edit

antdude

Premium Member

said by Hall:

said by antdude:

Also, can I use that satellite dish to act like an OTA antenna?

You can use the coaxial cable itself as an "antenna", you can use a coat hanger, you can use that satellite dish.... Are any of those reliable or practical ? No.

Ah, that explains why I can still get channel 31 on it. That was so weird.