Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

[Tomato] WRT54g or (gl) keeps rebooting.

I am currently using a Linksys WRT54G v2.2 with Tomato v1.28
Frankly, it serves my needs. I like being able to view my usage.
However, it keeps rebooting itself. It could be a day, or up to 10 days before it does, but it never last more then 2 weeks before it reboots.
I have also tried another Linksys, WRT54GL v1.1, with the same results.
Any idea why it does this?
Since there is no way of knowing (for me) does it do this with the OEM firmware?

I like the Tomato firmware for is information as to how much bandwidth I am using. And most of all, for its easy to install and set up vs other firmware that will work if I do this, open a terminal, then do this and that, then purge NVRAM or whatever.

Don't dis me.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
Premium,MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
One of Tomato's great contributions to the open source WRT community is their bandwidth system, for sure. But I would ask around Tomato forums because this sounds specific to firmware. Two routers shouldn't behave that alike in a heat situation (unless you have obvious sun beams on it at the time, high demand triggering it or something similar).

My WRT54G v4 (same as a GL) has never had an unexplained downtime on OpenWrt firmware in 6 years. I can't say that for 4-5 ISP modems in the same timeframe.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME

1 edit
reply to Dominokat
Thank you.
I vary rarely will use the router in a high demand situation.
Edit: Modem, and router are both in a very well vented and open closet.
No HOT sun.

upb
Premium
join:2004-03-15
Carriere, MS
kudos:1
Are you using the Tomato ND firmware? The reason I ask is that the standard firmware has a known problem with certain Intel wireless clients, causing the router to reboot when the clients first associate with the WAP. Tomato ND was intended to deal with that problem.

In the event of a neighbor (or yourself) using a computer which contains the problem wireless chipsets, there is a possibility that the fault could lie there.

In my own case, I have a relative whose laptop can make my own Tomato router reboot. It doesn't happen every time he powers his laptop up, but it happens often enough that we were able to establish his laptop as the cause. The "fix" was to wait for my relative to leave.

Good luck.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Thanks.
I will try Tomato ND.