Premium Member
join:2004-03-06
EU

2 recommendations

Buddel

Premium Member

Trend Micro moves HijackThis to Open Source location

quote:
Trend Micro HijackThis has been a free utility that generates an in-depth report of registry and file settings from your computer. HijackThis makes no separation between safe and unsafe settings in its scan results – this offers you the ability to selectively remove items from your machine. In addition to this scan-and-remove capability, HijackThis comes with several tools that are useful for manually removing malware from a computer.

At this time, Trend Micro has decided to move the source code for HijackThis to an open source location. Open source developers can now take the source code and make their own modifications and additions they feel are needed. Trend Micro will still maintain a copy of the original source code and update the code at times to ensure developers can always get access to the Trend Micro version.

Advanced users can use HijackThis to remove unwanted settings or files.

Access to HijackThis code

To access and download the HijackThis source code, please visit: »sourceforge.net/projects/hjt/
»free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

good for them (I think)

neochu
join:2008-12-12
Windsor, ON

1 edit

neochu

said by AVD:

good for them (I think)

HJT is probably one of the best Advanced diagnostic tools available right now.

As long as proper code vetting and security procedures are followed I can only see this as a good thing. It's a tool that can be incorporated into many things and other diagnostic suites thanks to the code release.

One also has to worry about compliance with GPL V2 though.

Its in Visual basic (not C) which means its not really that open in the first place. It would have to be ported for other platforms.

But that isn't my specialty so Ill let any open source experts comment.

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA

1 recommendation

jadinolf to Buddel

Premium Member

to Buddel
Many thanks Buddel

Khaine
join:2003-03-03
Australia

Khaine to neochu

to neochu
said by neochu:

One also has to worry about compliance with GPL V2 though.

Its in Visual basic (not C) which means its not really that open in the first place. It would have to be ported for other platforms.

But that isn't my specialty so Ill let any open source experts comment.

What are you talking about? The GPLV2 only requires that SOURCE CODE be available on request, and that any modifications to said code must also be licensed as GPLV2. It doesn't matter what language it is written in.

In summary, the GPL v2, like nearly any licence, grants rights under certain provisos. These are briefly listed here. A licensee of GPL v2-licensed software can:

* copy and distribute the program's unmodified source code (Section 1)
* modify the program's source code and distribute the modified source (Section 2)
* distribute compiled versions of the program, both modified and unmodified (Section 3)

provided that:

* all distributed copies (modified or not) carry a copyright notice and exclusion of warranty (Section 1 and 2)
* all modified copies are distributed under the GPL v2 (Section 2)
* all compiled versions of the program are accompanied by the relevant source code, or a viable offer to make the relevant source code available (Section 3)

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

2 recommendations

siljaline to Buddel

Premium Member

to Buddel
Also from Security Week
quote:
Trend Micro today announced that is has open sourced the code to its popular free security tool, HijackThis. The tool scans systems to find settings that may have been modified by spyware, malware or other programs that have wiggled their way onto a system and caused problems.

HijackThis generates reports to help users analyze and fix an infected or problemed computer. But the tool is not designed for novices – and doesn’t actually determine what’s good or bad. That’s up to you, but it is a good way to keep an eye on things and possibly locate anomalies that may have been missed by other security products. Trend Micro warns that if you don’t know what you’re doing, it’s probably not a good idea to make any changes to your computer settings and system files.

More
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Click for full size
I thought HijackThis was good only on 2000/XP. Has it been fixed to work properly on Vista/Win 7?

I went to the link you provided and I had the letters "ABC" follow me on the site. ??

ashrc4
Premium Member
join:2009-02-06
australia

ashrc4

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

Has it been fixed to work properly on Vista/Win 7?

In order for a full scan on win 7 64 the exe. needs to be be run as an administrator for later versions.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

? Avira and others seldom use it these days as you cannot get a decent scan on Win 7. Why would running as Admin change that? Many folks run as Admin anyway and from what I have seen it is really a tool only for XP. Needing to run as Admin is no big deal and would not cause the abandonment of it. I've never seen an Avira mod tell the user to do the scan as an Admin and the scans are pathetic except on XP. So, there must be more to it than just running as Admin.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
Problems there Mele20 See Profile are:

• The limitations of what HJT was able to do.
• Most boards - save a few, no longer accept HJT logs based on the above.

Folks need to move on to better than ... Merijn would agree.