how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

surpluss

join:2002-09-16
Sweetwater, TN

BEFSR41 V3 need help with static IP setup

I just signed up with Charter business from an old ATT DSL account and they gave me a SMCD3GN2-BIZ modem and a block of 13 static IPs (which I will need in about a month when I get a new point of sale system)/. The modem has a 4 port switch in the back and charter tells me that I can come out of one port into a router, configure it for one of the Static IPs and leave DHCP on and run my network the same as it's always been. So I went into my Linksys and set it to Static IP, put in one of my statics, subnet mask, gateway, both DNS, left local DHCP server enabled and saved the config. The first computer I hooked up worked just fine, but then after I added more and none of the others surf the net, they just pop up warning messages saying There is an IP address conflict with another system on the network. What did I do wrong?

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
There is an IP address conflict with another system on the network
This message means that the ip address the computer has is being used by a working computer

surpluss

Sweetwater, TN
But if they're all set to obtain IP's automatically and they're all connected to the router which is providing IP's how could that be?

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
If the linksys dhcp server is set to allocate just 1 ip address it may give that 1 ip address to every dhcp client

Are you connecting all the computers to the linksys lan ports

surpluss

Sweetwater, TN
It looks like its set to allocate 50 addresses. I have a laptop connected directly to it and then a 24 port switch.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
The switch should not affect what the router does
I would try setting a private static ip address on a computer and connect it

surpluss

Sweetwater, TN
Well I've done that on the computer I'm using to post these updates, but Charter tells me I can configure my router so that multiple computers share the one static IP and that's what I really need... do you think it could just be this old router? My problem is that I have a block of 13 and about 20 devices I need to connect. So if I can get the office computers on one IP so they can check email and surf the net and save the other IP's for equipment that actually needs static IP's I'd be in business.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
said by surpluss:

but Charter tells me I can configure my router so that multiple computers share the one static IP and that's what I really need

That's true...the smc should be able to share the public ip it has with multiple computers using nat/napt and allow other devices to use the other public ip
The smc public ip address should be the second highest ip address in the block
said by surpluss:

... do you think it could just be this old router?

It may be bad but I'm not sure of that
said by surpluss:

Well I've done that on the computer I'm using to post these updates

If the linksys works using private static ip address the dhcp server may be broken
Can you post the ip info you used

surpluss

Sweetwater, TN

1 edit

I know this works because I can hook a computer directly to the router and set it to static and everything works just fine.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
That is your public ip info, I need to see the private ip info.....
You should try connecting a computer that is a dhcp client directly to the smc and see if it gets a private ip address like 192.168.0.2

surpluss

Sweetwater, TN
Ahh... Gotcha. I've got to hook back the AT&T line now to finish some work, but I'll do this first thing in the morning!

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
If you connect a computer that is a dhcp client directly to the smc and that computer gets a ip address like 192.168.0.2 and can access the internet the smc is a router

This will put the office computers on the smc public ip address so they can check email and surf the net and the entire public ip block can be used only for devices that actually needs public static ip's

Devices that need public static ip's will need that info entered directly into the device and a connection to a smc lan port

surpluss

Sweetwater, TN
I finally got tired of messing with the BEFSR41 and just went out and got a new router... it worked perfectly as soon as I configured it with the static. Thanks for all the help, sorry to be such a pain!