deke40
deke40
Premium Member
join:2003-01-23
Texas

deke40

Premium Member

I Am One Of The Unlucky 11,000

As you probably read in the news the last week about State Farm dropping 11,000 customers in five coastal counties.

I live in Freeport and got water in my house when we had 20 inches of rain in 24 hours back in 79. My flood insurance had to pay only $1400 for replacement carpet.

I haven't been flooded since.

Today I checked with my agent and found out I am one of the dropped customers. I have until October to find other insurance.

I have been with them 50 years on my cars and 34 years with my house but I guess customer loyalty means nothing.

Going out tomorrow and start shopping as they sure as hell aren't getting another dime out of me. They said I could leave my car insured with them. Hell no.

MysticGogeta
The Robot Devil
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Katy, TX

MysticGogeta

Premium Member

That is pretty shitty to put is bluntly as possible. I hope the DOJ gets involved in this because that is really shady.

SandShark5
Long may you run
Premium Member
join:2000-05-23
Santa Fe, TX

SandShark5 to deke40

Premium Member

to deke40
So much for their slogan "Like a Good Neighbor..."

Bastards!

deke40
deke40
Premium Member
Texas

deke40

Premium Member

My agent, who is the son of the man I originally signed on with 50 years ago, called me and advised me not to rush out and buy other insurance as it will not be as good as State Farm.

How can there be so many other people that have other insurance other than State Farm and they seem to be satisfied with their coverage.

I know state farm is the only one that writes wind storm coverage so I will have to get that through the state regardless of who I go with and I have flood insurance through FEMA.

They are basing all their cancellations on a computer model that tells them if a major storm came through here they would not have enough money to meet claims. We haven't had one in about 50 years and from what I have studied up on that really doesn't increase the chances of one striking here.

He says it is strictly a business decision but I still think it sucks. I
hope they get a class action suit as I sure as hell will join it.

What if they come up and say there are to many wrecks in this area so they are going to cancel my auto insurance before I get in one.

MysticGogeta
The Robot Devil
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Katy, TX

MysticGogeta

Premium Member

What a load of crap don't rush out and buy other insurance? Why not you have to have insurance and its often cheaper to bundle your coverage with another company (Like progressive allstate geico etc)
zencyl
join:2009-07-24
Huntsville, TX

zencyl to deke40

to deke40
That pisses me off to hear about man. You paid all of that because they said they would be there when you needed them and now they are just pulling out. They should have to pay you back at least some of what you gave them. I still think insurance is the biggest scam in the world.

deke40
deke40
Premium Member
Texas

deke40

Premium Member

I was just thinking about something that happened about 2 months ago with my agent.

I had not had any direct dealings with the man who owns the agency for years and never saw him except a church.

About two months ago we were called in and had a meeting with him to look at our auto/home policies to see if we had all we needed in the way of insurance.

The more I think about it I believe they knew then that I was being dropped and were going through the motions.

He called me yesterday and let me know how sorry he was and siad his recommendation would be not to do anything until closer to the expiration date in October. I have my flood with FEMA and will have to get wind storm with the state so he can get me fire/theft and the rest of what I need and still be my agent.

He also told me whatever I get with somebody else will not be as good as what I have. This from somebody(State Farm) who is dropping me as a business decision after 50 years. In the 34 years I have had State Farm I have not had one claim from them for storm damage.

I still remain one pisssed off soon to be "former" state farm policy holder.

Thanks for listening.

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme to deke40

Premium Member

to deke40
We have USAA and have not had any problems with them. They have excellent customer service.

deke40
deke40
Premium Member
Texas

deke40

Premium Member

My brother has been with them since he got out of the army in 59.

He has a 4000sq ft home and his insurance is cheaper than mine and he gets about a third of his premium back every year.
deke40

deke40

Premium Member

Got a call from my agent today and if I go through the state program my premiums would go up $350 per year. Not as bad as I was expecting.

There are a few thing that are not covered under this policy, like frozen/busted pipes, falling objects(I have no trees around me), and they would only cover up to $5000 on busted water pipes. Most of these things aren't high on a likely to happen list.

I have 8 months to worry about it and with my age I might not have to worry about it.

brhalltx
Premium Member
join:2002-12-09
Cypress, TX

brhalltx

Premium Member

Try Amica; I've heard good things about them.

deke40
deke40
Premium Member
Texas

deke40

Premium Member

I had seen them high up in the ratings I checked.