Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gene32

join:2004-05-03
Reynoldsburg, OH

Lost QAM ABC and CBS HD channels

For the past few months, my wife has watched a show on the local HD feed of ABC (clear QAM) on a TV that has the coax plugged into it (no box) and all of a sudden, that channel is dead now. I rescanned and I noticed that it won't pick up the clear QAM ABC HD feed OR the CBS HD feed. Not sure if it was ever there but I also noticed no local HD Fox feed. NBC HD and CW HD (both clear QAM) work perfectly. WOW having problems with ABC, Fox and CBS?

What's even more puzzling is that I have made NO changes to anything in my house concerning coax cables or outlets. WOW_Dan, since I made no changes to anything in my house, can the signal be boosted from WOW's side? If a tech needs to come out, I'm sure I'll get charged $50 but since nothing has changed in my house, this makes me think the problem is the signal coming in. Or do the splitters that WOW techs install during initial setup degrade over time?

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:40
It's possible something may have changed outside that caused this problem, but it definitely sounds like a signal related issue. If the issue is outside of the home, you would not be charged for a truck roll. The only time there is a charge is when something was done by someone in the house to cause the problem, or if the house wiring is the cause. If by chance you were going to get charged, you could sign up for the Protection Plan at that time, and the fee would be waived.
--
Dan Della Terza
WOW! Internet, Cable & Phone
Network Operations Center

tzbf2007

join:2008-01-07
Canal Winchester, OH
reply to gene32
)
I have a similar problem. I've re-scanned all channels on my TV and now I cannot get ABC HD, Fox HD or CBS HD. Kinda annoying since the HD version is so much better than the SD. I too live in the Columbus area so maybe something was changed on WOW's end.

mix

join:2002-03-19
Utica, MI
reply to gene32
)
Well if you guys want to save a truck roll to prove whether it is on your end or WOWs, why not consider temporarily unhooking your cable modem and hooking up your tv in place of it? Usually the signal your modem gets is the best in your entire home, so this might be worth the time and hassle. You can verify ahead of time if you have a good signal at your modem by checking »192.168.100.1

gene32

Reynoldsburg, OH
reply to tzbf2007
)
said by tzbf2007:

I have a similar problem. I've re-scanned all channels on my TV and now I cannot get ABC HD, Fox HD or CBS HD. Kinda annoying since the HD version is so much better than the SD. I too live in the Columbus area so maybe something was changed on WOW's end.

Ha, I was going to ask somebody tonight to verify if their TV was doing the same. Glad it's not just me with this problem. Did you change ANYTHING in your house lately? (As far as cable outlets/splicing/adding a splitter?) Can anyone else check their QAM Fox, CBS and ABC HD feeds? (Especially if you live in or around the Columbus market?)

and..

1 edit
reply to mix
)
Click for full size
Is this good or bad? (It's Greek to me.)

and..
reply to mix
)
said by mix:

Well if you guys want to save a truck roll to prove whether it is on your end or WOWs, why not consider temporarily unhooking your cable modem and hooking up your tv in place of it? Usually the signal your modem gets is the best in your entire home, so this might be worth the time and hassle. You can verify ahead of time if you have a good signal at your modem by checking »192.168.100.1

When my wife is done watching her daily dose of garbage reality TV, I'll give that a shot and report back.

tzbf2007

Canal Winchester, OH
reply to gene32
)
No changes made. About 3 weeks ago my wife noticed she couldn't watch some HD channels on our LCD tv (no cable box). So knowing sometimes rescanning the channel works I did that. Still do not get any signal from those channels. I have a TiVo box and Internet and both are working just fine.

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:40
reply to gene32
)
said by gene32:

Is this good or bad? (It's Greek to me.)

Those are very good levels. Your modem would have no issues, and any TV should work fine. Keep in mind though, those frequencies are DOCSIS Downstream channels, and are only used for High Speed Data. Video is on different frequencies, and it's possible to knock out some frequencies and not others with things like damaged cables or water in a connector, etc.
--
Dan Della Terza
WOW! Internet, Cable & Phone
Network Operations Center

mix

Utica, MI
reply to gene32
)
gene, looks good enough to me. If WOW is transmitting clear qam local channels, you should be able to tune them if you connect your tv to where you modem is hooked up now and run whatever auto tuning feature your tv uses to find the channels. If you still can't find/tune them... well come back here and complain. A few other people reporting similar issues is suspicious though.

halovanic

join:2011-07-15
Columbus, OH
reply to tzbf2007
)
I'm in Columbus and all three of those are working perfectly for me over two different clear QAM devices.

I used to have this problem too with the local HD stations; ABC was probably the worst of them. Sometimes it would come in perfectly and sometimes it wouldn't show up in a scan. I was also convinced it was the signal coming in because I hadn't touched anything in my setup and all measures of strength/noise seemed fine. What finally solved it for me was relocating my cable equipment to the utility room where the outside cable drop ended instead of using one of my interior outlets. I'd guess there's some way that the coaxial cable was perfectly fine for all SD analog or digital signals and is just right on the edge to carry HD reliably.

My suggestion is if you have a TV you can easily move, try hooking it into where the cable first comes into the house. That would give you the best signal and narrow down if the problem's inside or outside the house.

gene32

Reynoldsburg, OH
said by halovanic:

I'm in Columbus and all three of those are working perfectly for me over two different clear QAM devices.

I used to have this problem too with the local HD stations; ABC was probably the worst of them. Sometimes it would come in perfectly and sometimes it wouldn't show up in a scan. I was also convinced it was the signal coming in because I hadn't touched anything in my setup and all measures of strength/noise seemed fine. What finally solved it for me was relocating my cable equipment to the utility room where the outside cable drop ended instead of using one of my interior outlets. I'd guess there's some way that the coaxial cable was perfectly fine for all SD analog or digital signals and is just right on the edge to carry HD reliably.

My suggestion is if you have a TV you can easily move, try hooking it into where the cable first comes into the house. That would give you the best signal and narrow down if the problem's inside or outside the house.

But why would it work perfectly for months then all of a sudden stop working? I have made no changes to anything in my house concerning the TVs, cables, coax, splitters, etc. The box is on the side of my house and maybe 1 foot inside my basement, there is a WOW splitter. Attached to that is a 2nd splitter. Last night, I hooked the 2 TVs with the problem to the splitter where the cable first comes into the house (they were both on the 2nd splitter) and this made no difference. Here in a bit, I'll bring down one of those TVs and hook it directly to the cable coming from the box and rule out the splitters. As mix pointed out, it's fishy that somebody else started having the same problem as me around the same time.

Moving your equipment (to me) means that the signal feeding your house went down a hair and by getting your TV's closer to the main junction point, you overcame the weakened signal possibly.

halovanic

join:2011-07-15
Columbus, OH
In my case, the number of splitters made no difference to my problem which (eventually) proved to me it could not be signal strength related. I now have more splits than I had before and I had tried all combinations down to a single connection.

But that said, it sounds like you're already testing down to the level of the WOW wiring so you're probably correct that there's something wrong with what they installed or their signal, most likely the latter.

gene32

Reynoldsburg, OH
said by halovanic:

In my case, the number of splitters made no difference to my problem which (eventually) proved to me it could not be signal strength related. I now have more splits than I had before and I had tried all combinations down to a single connection.

But that said, it sounds like you're already testing down to the level of the WOW wiring so you're probably correct that there's something wrong with what they installed or their signal, most likely the latter.

Well, I plugged both TVs (one at a time) directly into the cable coming from outside (no spliiters/joiners).... straight into the TV and......... no go. No CBS, Fox or ABC on the QAM channels. Both TVs took forever to scan but no change . It definitely looks like a WOW problem with the signal in my neighborhood.

Jskshb

@wideopenwest.com
Bring up the qam channel guide from the wow website. If you tune to the xxx.xx number does it work? It may just not be mapping properly. Happened to me before.

gene32

Reynoldsburg, OH
said by Jskshb :

Bring up the qam channel guide from the wow website. If you tune to the xxx.xx number does it work? It may just not be mapping properly. Happened to me before.

I couldn't find any QAM specific channel guides on WOW's site. I spotted their normal channel guide and under 'high def', it shows 206 as being the ABC HD feed and this is where it was up until I lost it. Going there now, my TV sits and thinks for a second then defaults to 205 (which I think is the PBS HD feed).

tzbf2007

Canal Winchester, OH
Here is the link the the QAM channel guide »www.wowway.com/wow-built ··· lineups/. I will be checking this out tonight. Never thought that the Channel would have changed if it has been working before.

hudiat

join:2011-10-13
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·WOW Internet and..
The channel didnt change. The channel is broadcast on the decimal number and logically gets mapped to just a regular number to make it easier. If the issue is with it not mapping 200 or whatever properly you should still be able to manually tune it at 84.563, made up number for example. If you can tune the decimal number fine then the issue is with wows mapping it. Pisp i think its called. As it only effects Clear qam users it may have just gone unnoticed to wows people that deal with that. If you can not tune the decimal number than it may be a signal issue.

gene32

Reynoldsburg, OH
I found it! ABC HD feed is at 72.1 for me. I'll search for CBS and Fox later tonight and report back. Weird that it jumped there and NBC and CW stayed in the 200's. Oh well.

hudiat

If it is working properly you should be able to tune it on both. I had the same issue, dan said he forwarded to the right people and it was normal the next day. Maybe pm him or he will see this and look at it.

yoda1404

@scansafe.net
reply to gene32
)
I can tell you how I fixed a related problem and with that may be some more clues for WOW techs to figure this out: I have a Vizio tv that is getting the "basic cable" from WOW (we don't have a box..) but of course a while back everything on WOW went all digital anyway..So we rescanned when WOW said to rescan, and had no issues. We saw all the local HD channels (CBS, WGN, WLS, FOX) ..
But two days ago, I noticed that a cable channel called ID (investigationDiscovery) was not in my Vizio tv, but was present on two other TV's. So..I thought I should re-scan the Vizio..When I did the re-scan, I got the ID channel. But when I turned the TV off, and then turned it back on, Vizio said "no signal"..So I had to rescan again..Everytime I did this, and power down the Vizio, the scanned channels were "gone"...My scan would tell me 88 channels found, but they would disappear every time I turned the TV off and back on again. I tried many different fixes. Hard reset of tuner on Vizio, etc. No luck..Finally, (and don't ask why..) but I happened to find a signal attenuator that was left behind from the days when we had satellite..When I passed the cable signal through that attenuator and into the Vizio, and did a Re-scan, I only saw 62 or so channels..HOWEVER..when I powered the Vizio down and turned it back on, the scanned channels remained in memory..BUT, NONE of the "digital Local channels", like WGN, or WLS, NBC, FOX, etc) were present...So I think that there is some sort of "noise", or "information" that is being sent along with the digital Local Channels, that causes problems with the NTSC tuners in some of the TV's.. (in my case, it prevented the scanned channels from "saving"..The strange part in this for me is that I used to get the digital local channels..and if I had NOT rescanned two days ago, I think I would have continued to get them because they were still in the TV's memory..
So by using the attenuator, my Vizio now has no problems scanning and remembering the channels when I turn it off and back on again..But I no longer get the "digital local channels like WGN, WLS, NBC, CBS, Fox, etc)..So I believe that something WOW sends along with that cable signal has indeed changed recently, and whatever it is is associated to the digital local channels only, as now my rescans show something like 66 channels found instead of 88,..and my "hd" local tv channels are a victim of that change..So I do not think it is your TV per se, but I do believe that some kind of data is not being interpreted by the tuners in the same way, as not all of my TV's have the problem. (the other two tvs in my house have no problem and still get all the local HD digital channels..)

mix

Utica, MI
No, yoda, this is a problem with your Vizio tv.

tzbf2007

Canal Winchester, OH
reply to gene32
)
During my Ultra TV Install Friday, one of the technicians told me that WOW Columbus will be doing a "refresh" on the channeling and it will happen sometime during the month of March. He said that after this is done, a re-scan of the channels should fix the problem.

yoda1404

@scansafe.net
reply to mix
)
Hi Mix. I agree 99% that it is a problem with the Vizio. But as other users in these threads indicate, I too had no problems at all for a long time and was able to get all the local channels. and I did it on the Vizio and did all the rescans, etc when WOW told us to. We never saw or had any issues with the TV (until a few days ago when I decided to rescan).

I suppose it is possible that circumstances occured where the Vizio decided to stop working properly..But it is funny that other people have noticed that these local channels seemingly "went away" with no other changes taking place in their house or to their TV's..(no cable changes, splitters added, etc, etc..)

So even if the TV is to fault here, I would bet that many many WOW subscribers would experience this same problem on their TV's , but they just haven't noticed it because the most of them are probably using a WOW box (for digital or HD) and so they are not really using the tuner that is inside their TV.

and..
Of course, to all who read these posts , I'm just a WOW subscriber in Naperville, Illinois area. And it seems like the problem I had here recently is related to the problem you are seeing in Ohio.

hudiat

Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·WOW Internet and..
I have not used QAM in about a month now since I got Tivo, but after seeing posts here I did test it out today. Unhooked cable from Tivo where every channel comes in fine, plugged it into TV, scanned, it found every channel that it should, but I did notice, and only on HD channels, that there was slight stuttering and audio cutouts. Tivo is fine and every channel is fine through Tivo.
Previous to me getting Tivo, and after techs did some work the clear QAM HD worked fine. Just for reference it is Sony TV, signal levels are fine, Tivo works great, SD channels all work great over clear QAM, so the issue is isolated to HD clear QAM. That being said, it isn't an issue for me as now that I tested just to test it, tivo is hooked back up now.

I don't really care about the issue, I am not complaining, I won't call support over it, just wanted to confirm that I could recreate it.
In the Cleveland, OH area for reference.