All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
peggypwr1
join:2003-10-06
Fremont, CA

peggypwr1

Can I use this video card for Gateway DX4300-15e?

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 14102934

THe video card will be used for Blu RAy stuff, HD video, OTA HD

I also want to buy a USB 3.0 add in card. My intention is to buy a 3.0 TB external later on.

Can the systembaord accomadate the add in and new video card? Do I have enough slots?

In addtion , closer to May I will buy a PSU. ANy recommendatrions would be great. The OEM PSU is under powered.

psafux
Premium Member
join:2005-11-10

psafux

Premium Member

»reviews.cnet.com/desktop ··· l;subnav

According to the above link, the video card that came with the system (ATI Mobility RADEON HD 3200) is a PCI-E and there is only one PCI-E video card slot thus if you replaced the old card with the new one you should be fine. If the new video card requires a 6pin power connection make sure the power supply has one.

Regarding whether you have enough PCI slots, you would have to be the judge of that. If there are no add-on cards, you are fine. If there are add-on cards already, you will need to see if there are any free slots.

FizzyMyNizzy
join:2004-05-29
New York, NY

4 edits

FizzyMyNizzy to peggypwr1

to peggypwr1

»blog.itechtalk.com/2010/ ··· -review/
Looks like:
PCI-Express x16 (not sure which version.)
PCI-Express x1
PCI
PCI

best thing to do is to open it up.

Raible
join:2008-01-23
Plainfield, IN

Raible to peggypwr1

to peggypwr1
Your existing video is integrated, meaning you don't even have a video card in your existing computer. You have one available PCI-E X16 for a new video card, and an extra PCI-E X1 & PCI slot. You will need the PCI-E X1 slot for your USB 3.0 expansion card.

The 300W power supply on the machine concerns me. Mass production builders like Gateway are notorious for putting really crappy PSUs into their machines. There's no way to know if you have the required power connectors for the new video card, like psa mentioned, unless you check. My recommendation would be to get the new power supply before you even try to put a new card into that machine. A good PSU is not cheap, but it's the absolute one thing you should not compromise on in a system. The nice thing about a good PSU is that it will last a good long time and you can always pull it out and use it in a new machine if you upgrade. Here's a link to one that you can't go wrong on.

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 17371020

And here are the specs on your machine (as best as available and assuming you haven't modded it too much)

Specifications:

Part number: PT.G8302.004
Processor: AMD Phenom™ II X4 Quad-Core Processor 810 (2.6GHz, 6MB L2 Cache)
Operating System: Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Memory: 8GB DDR2 Dual Channel Memory
Memory Capacity: Maximum 8GB
Hard Drive: 1TB 1000GB SATA hard drive (Green Product - variable RPM)
Video: Integrated ATI® Radeon™ HD 3200 Graphics
Audio: High Definition Audio with 7.1-channel Surround Support
Available Expansion Slots: 1 - PCI-E x16, 0 - PCI-E x1, 1 - PCI
External Ports: (8) USB 2.0 ports (4 Front, 4 Rear), IEEE 1394a, VGA, (2) PS/2 Ports, HDMI™, (6) Audio Ports
Media Card Reader: Multi-in-One Digital Media Card Reader with Photo Frame Button
Motherboard: System board with AMD 780G Chipset
Network: 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port)
Optical Drive: 16X DVD+/-R/RW Super Multi Drive
TV Tuner: Hybrid TV Tuner (COAX, S-Video, Stereo Mini-Jack Audio, Audio-L and Audio-R)
Wireless Network: 802.11b/g/n Wireless
Power Supply: 300W Power Supply
Dimensions: 16.2" (H) x 7.1" (W) x 16.3" (D) or 412.4mm (H) x 180mm (W) x 413.2mm (D)
Product Type: Recertified
Raible

Raible to peggypwr1

to peggypwr1
Uh....I just noticed it actually says "0" next to available PCI-E X1 slots. That's not good. You'll have to open er up and check.
peggypwr1
Fremont, CA

peggypwr1

If I take a close up pic later on, can you guys tell if I have the right slots? Thanks.

psafux
Premium Member
join:2005-11-10

psafux

Premium Member

Yes

Raible
Plainfield, IN

Raible to peggypwr1

to peggypwr1
The DX4300 offers room to add more components inside. It has excellent upgrading features. It has a single PCI Express graphics card slot, a free standard PCI slot and hard-drive bay. All the RAM slots have been occupied, which is common in 8GB or 6GB memory configuration. Power Supply (300V) avoids you from adding too much in the way of high end 3D graphics hardware.

So, you are probably going to need that new power supply and it also looks like you are going to have to kill your TV tuner card to reclaim your PCI-E slot.

We'll wait to see your pics. Take a pic of the back of the computer too so we can verify what cards are in there.

asdfdfdfdfdf
@myvzw.com

asdfdfdfdfdf to peggypwr1

Anon

to peggypwr1
I think we should also discuss the specific problem you have run into because a 780g chipset with a quad core phenom II shouldn't have a problem with HD playback. Also, I wonder if you are regularly moving so much data to and from your external hard drive that the difference in performance between usb 2 and 3 is going to be much of an issue.
peggypwr1
Fremont, CA

peggypwr1

I have to keep the TV tuner card. I want to beef up my video card so my system has its own dedicated gpu and to "future" proof. asasf is right, the CPU as of right nows seems to handle HD decently. 1080p sometimes it does stutter, but not all the time.

My intention is to transfer my OTA HD recordings to the external.

I really wish WMC would allow us to choose a backup HDD to record our TV recordings but alas we can't have everything.

The HDD I want to wait till May b/c of the Thailand flooding. Maybe the prices will drop further by then. I plan to do lots of recording for the Euro Cup 2012 and Olympics.

the PSU I can order now, I just want to get a decent one, midrange, something that has lots of connections but won't break the bank. I am not a gamer.
peggypwr1

peggypwr1

»s14.postimage.org/bejfgc ··· 3539.jpg

The above pic is so small. Hopefully, the new link is better.

[img=http://s14.postimage.org/bejfgcn69/IMG_3539.jpg]
free image hosting

FizzyMyNizzy
New York, NY

FizzyMyNizzy

Same picture i posted woot!!

You could put a new video card in it. Since it was using onboard. You still get to keep the tv turner.

Not sure how many watts your psu is. I will let some else help you. I have a bad headache =\
peggypwr1
Fremont, CA

peggypwr1

Can I add a USB 3.0 card?

FizzyMyNizzy
New York, NY

4 edits

FizzyMyNizzy

said by peggypwr1:

Can I add a USB 3.0 card?

PCI card to USB 3.0 but need 4pin molex power.
»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 15201041
Company info on that card:
»www.koutech.com/proddeta ··· mber=525

You will need to put this card on the buttom, the empty white slot is the PCI.

Also make sure you have that 4 pin power from the psu.

Any clue how many watts does your psu have? If it is 300watts.... then you need a new one.. 450-550watts. Since, you also want a new video card. Oh, whats your price range for a video card.? Under $200?
FizzyMyNizzy

2 edits

FizzyMyNizzy

By the way you need to clean that cpu heatsink. Get a air duster can. I normally use a small brush. Up to you.

I seen people use a leaf blower, it does wonders.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· m6KkA4WQ

Razor155
Premium Member
join:2001-12-31
EHT, NJ

Razor155 to peggypwr1

Premium Member

to peggypwr1
I would probably go with something like this for a replacement PSU. 500 watts will be more than you need and it's at a very good price right now.
»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 17148027

Next buy a can of air, take your system outside. Take the fan off the heatsink and blow all the dust off the heatsink and fan blades.
»www.staples.com/Dust-Des ··· t_326196
peggypwr1
Fremont, CA

peggypwr1

Razor the PSU you linked will work with this video card:

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···14102934

I dont need any special adapter right?

FizzyMyNizzy
New York, NY

4 edits

FizzyMyNizzy

Is this the card you link? Not sure why i cant click on your link.
»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 14102934

If yes. Than yes that 500watt is more than enough.

Oops forgot you only could fit a one slot pci express card.
Hd7750 will block the tv turner.

So, yea you got all the stuff you need. Pci to usb3.0, video card, and psu. And get some air duster.

asdfdfdfdfdf
@myvzw.com

asdfdfdfdfdf to peggypwr1

Anon

to peggypwr1
If the occasional stutter is a problem we can perhaps try to help with that.
I don't see a benefit to your adding a graphics card under the circumstances.
I don't care for that apevia that was mentioned at all. I think you are taking an unnecessary risk by replacing your present psu, especially by a low quality supply, so that you can add a low end graphics card that I can't see providing much benefit to you.

The pci-e x1 slot seems to be used so, as was stated, you will have to get a pci card and not pci-e card usb card. You should be able to add a usb card without having to deal with a power supply upgrade.
peggypwr1
Fremont, CA

1 edit

peggypwr1

asdasf what PSU can you recommend?

Basically you feel the onboard video can handle HD for the near future. Not to go over your head, Ill probably end up odering the card for peace of mind, hell i get free Sonic game too!

FizzyMyNizzy
New York, NY

FizzyMyNizzy

Are you able to check how many watts does your psu have?

Raible
Plainfield, IN

Raible to peggypwr1

to peggypwr1
Peggy, the card you have linked will work just fine and you should see a pretty significant performance increase. Read through the reviews and there are people who upgraded from 4200 and 4500 integrated video to that card and they are seeing good gains. Hell, there are people saying they are running SWTOR on medium with that card. It doesn't require additional power plugs either so it will work with your existing PSU if you really want to try it.

Here's another power supply that's about half the cost of the other one I suggested, but at least it's a good one. Allow me to stress just one more time how much I would recommend you upgrading your PSU.

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 17371033

And, yes, you can add a USB 3.0 card but it has to be PCI like Fizz said. Just make sure you get one that is PCI and not PCI-E. I never even thought to look and see if they made PCI-->USB3.0 cards, I just assumed they did not. Silly me.

asdfdfdfdfdf
@myvzw.com

asdfdfdfdfdf

Anon

The earthwatts mentioned just above is fine. So is the corsair 430cx. I would choose between them based on price, rebates etc. at the time you decide to buy.
peggypwr1
Fremont, CA

peggypwr1

Fizzy my pSU is 300 watts it is made by Liteon.

FizzyMyNizzy
New York, NY

4 edits

FizzyMyNizzy

Up to you if you want to change the psu. But i think you should. New video, pci that needs power, you still have 2 sata port not used.
peggypwr1
Fremont, CA

peggypwr1

Thank you all. I ordered the PSU COrsair and the Saphirre video card. Both should arrive next week..

THe USB 3.0 card is out of stock at Newegg. SO Ill wait on that.

Now, when I get the new video card, before I install it, I have to disable the onbard video and uninstall the video drivers right? or can I just install the new video card, and the software will do the rest for me? Thanks/

asdfdfdfdfdf
@myvzw.com

asdfdfdfdfdf

Anon

"Now, when I get the new video card, before I install it, I have to disable the onbard video and uninstall the video drivers right? or can I just install the new video card, and the software will do the rest for me? Thanks/"

You may not have to disable the onboard video as the system may automatically recognize the card. It certainly doesn't hurt to do so though if you know where to go in your bios.

I generally suggest that people change the driver to a standard vanilla vga type driver and then uninstall the old video drivers before shutting down to install the card. There will be people who say this isn't necessary and that could very well be true in most cases. I just like to be thorough and keep things as clean as possible. I think it reduces the chances for problems.
peggypwr1
Fremont, CA

peggypwr1

Besides Koutech, any other pci 3.0 cards that can work w/my motherboard. Most ones I have searched seem to be PCI-E, I cannot find regular pci? Thanks.

FizzyMyNizzy
New York, NY

FizzyMyNizzy

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 15158275

»www.nextwarehouse.com/it ··· 622_g10e
peggypwr1
Fremont, CA

peggypwr1

Thank you I placed an order for the addin usb 3.0.

Hell, Ill order the eternal drive now:

Seagate STAY3000102

WHat are your thoughts on this drive. My question is can WIndows 7 recognize the 3TB size?