ymhee_bcex
Premium Member
join:2006-04-21
Tarzana, CA
·AT&T Wireless Br..

ymhee_bcex

Premium Member

[modem/router] Putting Westell G90-6100 into bridge mode

My dad had a Westell C90-6100 that I put into bridge mode according to excellent instructions here: »Verizon DSL FAQ »How do I use a router with the Westell 6100?
Recently, however, Verizon replaced his modem with a newer sleeker version, G90-6100. It has private and public LANs (reminds me of FON). So, when I followed the same instructions, I couldn't turn off both LANs (got a popup explicitly saying that I can't turn of both), and when I turned off one, the router couldn't get IP address from WAN (I could point to public LAN and get IP from 192.168.2.1 - but obviously, that's not what I want).

I also looked at the instructions here - »Re: [CenturyTel] Westell 6100 G90, how to bridge for use with ro ( for another ISP), but this doesn't work either.

Does anybody have G90-6100 with a router? For now I just plugged in a switch, so he can use several devices (computer, VoIP adapter, streaming device) - but no wireless. I wonder, if anybody was successful getting wireless to work with this modem? I don't have to put it in the bridge mode; I just don't see any other way to have wireless...

(I have a spare DD-WRT router that I can put in "access point" mode - but I was hoping that it wouldn't be necessary)...

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

1 recommendation

wayjac

MVM

Does your internet connection use pppoe or (routed bridge)

You don't need to manually disable the westell dhcp server it will be disabled when the protocol and bridge mode drop boxes are changed to bridge

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA

aefstoggaflm to ymhee_bcex

Premium Member

to ymhee_bcex
Perhaps it deals with the Walled Garden feature?

»Verizon DSL FAQ »How to Turn off the Walled Garden

ymhee_bcex
Premium Member
Tarzana, CA

ymhee_bcex

Premium Member

nope. I have no problem getting out. and the walled garden page has been disabled...

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

1 edit

Premium Member

to ymhee_bcex
Click for full size
Ok, I think I know of another way to get rid of double NAT and have the RJ-45 WAN port router handle the public IP.

#1 I saw the FAQ at »AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »How do I enable IP Passthrough on a Motorola 2210?

#2 I looked around the screens of my Westell 6100F to see if I could see that same feature in my modem combo.

#3 My modem combo has that same feature. It is located at Firewall Settings -> DMZ Host.

Please see my screen shot

#4 I have to wonder if your modem combo also has that same feaure..

The reason my modem combo says WAN IP Not Connected, is because my modem combo is in bridge mode.

ymhee_bcex
Premium Member
Tarzana, CA
·AT&T Wireless Br..

ymhee_bcex

Premium Member

I would hope that somebody that actually solved this problem chime in... or better yet, Verizon gives official guidance. But absent that, let's speculate together. As I said, I tired a lot of different things, including, of course, DMZ host.

The problem with DMZ host that the router still gets an IP from the modem (whether through DHCP or static - doesn't matter). So, the modem NATs public Internet IP address to, say, 192.168.1.x, and then router further NATs from 192.168.1.x to 192.168.2.x or similar. DMZ is a solution to port forwarding (firewall / iptables rules); not to double NAT.

For now I set up the switch, but when I need wireless access, I'll probably have to turn the router into Wireless Access Point mode.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

said by ymhee_bcex:

I would hope that somebody that actually solved this problem chime in... or better yet, Verizon gives official guidance. But absent that, let's speculate together. As I said, I tired a lot of different things, including, of course, DMZ host.

The problem with DMZ host that the router still gets an IP from the modem (whether through DHCP or static - doesn't matter). So, the modem NATs public Internet IP address to, say, 192.168.1.x, and then router further NATs from 192.168.1.x to 192.168.2.x or similar. DMZ is a solution to port forwarding (firewall / iptables rules); not to double NAT.

Did you see the FAQ that I pointed to and did you see my screen shot?

Something that I could do is use that feature (that is mislabeled as the DMZ) and see if my RJ-45 WAN port router gets the public IP...

ymhee_bcex
Premium Member
Tarzana, CA
·AT&T Wireless Br..

ymhee_bcex

Premium Member

I did try it! Router "shares your Public IP address" in the sense that all requests are forwarded straight to this device. Not in the sense that routing on the modem doesn't happen!

After all, modem still needs to route - it can't assume that the DMZ device is a router, rather than one of many computers. So, I set up the router to have 192.168.1.2 as its WAN address, and I could browse or SSH it without any port forwarding on the modem. However, Incoming VoIP calls either didn't ring or (if I tweaked firewall on the router) didn't have voice on the adapter.

FAQ that you are linking to solves completely different problem (the one that I, frankly, never experienced - but I am not familiar with computer gaming): applications requires a specific IP Address be assigned to the computer. Moreover, the first paragraph clearly states:
IP Passthrough can assign the WAN IP to a single PC whether it is connected directly to the Westell or used in conjunction with a hub or switch.
Note - hub or switch; nothing about the router. I don't have a problem with a switch - I just don't have wireless.

I hope you understand why this FAQ is irrelevant to my question. If not - please let me know, and I'll try to reword the original post with more clarity

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac to ymhee_bcex

MVM

to ymhee_bcex
said by ymhee_bcex:

The problem with DMZ host that the router still gets an IP from the modem (whether through DHCP or static - doesn't matter).

Once the westell's dmz host option is set up the selected device will be sharing the public ip address
said by ymhee_bcex:

but when I need wireless access, I'll probably have to turn the router into Wireless Access Point mode

What is the model number of the wireless router

All you need to do to any wireless router to use it as a access point only is disable the lan dhcp server, change it's ip address so that it is unique and within the westell's subnet then you must connect a lan port of the wireless router to the westell lan port

ymhee_bcex
Premium Member
Tarzana, CA
·AT&T Wireless Br..

ymhee_bcex

Premium Member

wayjac, thank you for your desire to help...
said by wayjac:

Once the westell's dmz host option is set up the selected device will be sharing the public ip address

You are absolutely correct. Also, it is not related to my original question.
said by wayjac:

What is the model number of the wireless router

All you need to do to any wireless router to use it as a access point only is disable the lan dhcp server, change it's ip address so that it is unique and within the westell's subnet then you must connect a lan port of the wireless router to the westell lan port

Obviously, there is more than that - you can read a good tutorial here: »dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.ph ··· ss_Point . Again, I know how to do that - that wasn't the question. There are reasons why I would prefer to use dd-wrt-based router; these reasons are beyond the scope of this post.

Since two people now gave me irrelevant answer, I'll try to rephrase the question more succinctly (and hopefully, more clearly);

Does anybody have G90-6100 modem and use it with another router?
Or,
has anybody added WiFi capabilities to your network behind G90-6100 modem?

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

2 edits

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

said by ymhee_bcex See Profile

Does anybody have G90-6100 modem and use it with another router?
Or,
has anybody added WiFi capabilities to your network behind G90-6100 modem?

An user started the thread »[modem/router] How to access 6100G's interface while connected?

However, I can't say that user has (or had) the G90-6100..

If you want to know if that user does or not have the G90-6100 (or used to have), consider sending a PM/IM to them. This can mean..

..by click on the yellow (IM) envelop in that post on the bottom (to forum · permalink · actions · hey mods "yellow (IM) envelop")

..OR going their profile at »/profi ··· e/118623 and using the PM/IM feature there.
aefstoggaflm

4 edits

Premium Member

to ymhee_bcex
Click for full size
said by ymhee_bcex:

#1 You saw my screen shot of what is at Firewall -> DMZ Host in my modem combo, here is a screen shot of what it is at Firewall -> Static NAT

#2 At Firewall -> Static NAT, one of the things that it clearly says is that
quote:
All unsolicited inbound traffic will be sent to the above device.
As, you can see that.

#3 I looked up DMZ on Google.

#4 One of the many results came from »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DM ··· uting%29

#5 Look at what it says about the, DMZ host

#6 I also looked up DMZ unsolicited on Google.

#7 One of the many results came from »www.draytek.co.uk/suppor ··· ing.html

#8 Look at what it says about the, DMZ.

#9 Is it just me, but the DMZ Host and Static NAT feature(s) in my modem combo are backwards?

#10 From »AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »How do I enable IP Passthrough on a Motorola 2210? it says to release and renew the IP Address on the computer.

#11 Since in your case you can select your router, using the IP Passthrough ( or what ever it called, and it is not backwards like mine ) feature on your modem combo, you need to release and renew the WAN IP of the RJ-45 WAN Port router.

#12 About releasing and renewing IP Address in the RJ-45 WAN router, I have to say some routers are weird/strange.

For example: To force a release and renew, I have to turn off and turn back on the power to my Linksys BEFW11S4 hardware version 1 - I can't just go to the Status screen and press the release button and then the renew button.

ymhee_bcex
Premium Member
Tarzana, CA
·AT&T Wireless Br..

ymhee_bcex

Premium Member

Folks if you don't have G90-6100, then while I appreciate your eagerness to help - there are a lot of people who can benefit from your help much more than I!

If, however, you do have G90-6100 (or you know that the modem you have is very similar); especially if you are Verizon customer - I would really like to hear from you!
Expand your moderator at work

wayjac
MVM
Indy

1 recommendation

wayjac to ymhee_bcex

MVM

to ymhee_bcex

Re: [modem/router] Putting Westell G90-6100 into bridge mode

said by ymhee_bcex:

If, however, you do have G90-6100 (or you know that the modem you have is very similar)

It might be helpful if you would post the full model number of the westell like this
G90-610015-20 the other numbers do matter

Or post a picture of any of it's configuration pages like this one