uniqs
voiptalk
join:2010-04-10
Gainesville, VA
MikroTik RB750G
Cisco DPC3941

voiptalk

Not using because ....

I have a Samsung LN46B650 connected HDTV. It is on the network, but I don't use the features because it is painfully slow. Granted this was an early venture into the connected TV realm. It's a much better experience to use the Roku or AppleTV, than it the Samsung.

R4M0N
Brazilian Soccer Ownz Joo
join:2000-10-04
Glen Allen, VA

R4M0N

Same thing with my LN50B650... It's connected to the network and all but it's so slow to load up even simple stuff like the weather that I just don't use it.

My friend bought another Samsung model last year and his stuff is MUCH faster. He uses his TV constantly to stream Netflix.

thegeek
Premium Member
join:2008-02-21
right here

thegeek to voiptalk

Premium Member

to voiptalk
I have a 70" Sharp Aquos. I connected it when I first got it. But I haven't found a reason to use any of the connectivity features. I already use my PS3 for streaming content from my computer. Sure, the TV has Hulu and Netflix apps, but 1) they're overpriced and the quality sucks, and 2) I can access Netflix through my PS3, XBox 360, and Wii if I really wanted to.
talz13
join:2006-03-15
Avon, OH

talz13 to voiptalk

to voiptalk
And, when everything changes again (media formats, containers, new services, etc.), it's much easier to handle buying a new $100-$200 box to attach to your non-connected TV, than to buy a new $1000-$2000 TV.

mix
join:2002-03-19
Romeo, MI

mix to voiptalk

to voiptalk
A can confirm the slowness thing being so annoying the features aren't used.

nothing00
join:2001-06-10
Centereach, NY

nothing00 to thegeek

to thegeek
I just got that set as well. The streaming quality is less than the streaming quality of my computer that's also connected to it. Not worth the hassle especially with its lousy interface.

Corehhi
join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

Corehhi to thegeek

to thegeek
said by thegeek:

I have a 70" Sharp Aquos. I connected it when I first got it. But I haven't found a reason to use any of the connectivity features. I already use my PS3 for streaming content from my computer. Sure, the TV has Hulu and Netflix apps, but 1) they're overpriced and the quality sucks, and 2) I can access Netflix through my PS3, XBox 360, and Wii if I really wanted to.

I have a Vizio for the bedroom and I use Netflix and Flingo. Not one other feature on the TV useful. Face Book? With no keyboard? That's as useful as a fart in a wind storm. Weather app sucks, no Hulu but Hulu Plus. You are much better off getting a Roku or a cheap laptop to connect to your TV I would go cheap laptop.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to thegeek

Premium Member

to thegeek
said by thegeek:

Sure, the TV has Hulu and Netflix apps, but 1) they're overpriced and the quality sucks,

That happens when you try to do it all.
you do it all but nothing well.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to talz13

Premium Member

to talz13
said by talz13:

And, when everything changes again (media formats, containers, new services, etc.), it's much easier to handle buying a new $100-$200 box to attach to your non-connected TV, than to buy a new $1000-$2000 TV.

Nope, the TV just needs a Firmware update to upgrade it to the latest standards and codecs. My Sony LED/LCD HDTV has had 2 major firmware updates in the last Year. The updates sped up operation plus Sony even added new features and services.
talz13
join:2006-03-15
Avon, OH

talz13

I've had bad experiences with updates to consumer equipment. If a format isn't supported on day one, I'd rather wait or find something that does support it.

Also, are they going to continue to support your TV 4 or 5 years down the road? I'd still rather not replace a perfectly good 65" TV just because the extra services are no longer current.