amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

1 recommendation

amungus

Premium Member

Lazy

I think the main reason is that people are lazy.
That, and let's face it - content isn't the same on such apps.

Until you can watch the show that just aired, within minutes of it airing, instead of DAYS (as most networks seem to have done), it just won't be as appealing or useful.

Personally, I'm very glad to have connected a full PC to my TV. All the hype about a little app here or there, or some shiny new thing doesn't concern me much. Whatever these apps can do, I'm sure my media center PC can also do.

The concept is neat, but the usefulness factor is limited.

All that being said, it is nice for some things. Netflix "built in" is a nice concept, which will surely see more and more uptake. One less external device to haggle with, which is a good thing.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

yeah HTPC all the way for me.

jseymour
join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

jseymour to amungus

to amungus
said by amungus:

Until you can watch the show that just aired, within minutes of it airing, instead of DAYS ...

"Days?" How about, for some of the most popular content, never?

We signed-up for Hulu Plus assuming we'd be able to do-away with the DVD recorder. Nope. Most of the stuff in which either my wife or I would've been interested simply is not there. Period. In fact: Other than the Daily Show, which I used to enjoy, we found absolutely nothing on HP to justify the $8/mo. So we canceled it.

Netflix is pretty useful, so we kept that.

What we do watch via streaming is watched via our Panasonic Blu-ray player. The TV's connected, but doesn't have any capabilities other than talking to my DLNA server and downloading new firmware. It's a fairly recent (less than a year old) Samsung, too.

So far I'm massively underwhelmed with streaming content.

wcda
join:2001-12-06
Macon, GA

wcda

I have a LG 3d plasma smart tv that I use to connect to my computer to allow me to stream media content wirelessly from the computer to the TV using Nero Media Home 4 Essentials. It allowed me to use My Media center extender on another TV that did not have wireless.

vpoko
Premium Member
join:2003-07-03
Boston, MA

vpoko to jseymour

Premium Member

to jseymour
And the Daily Show is available from DailyShow.com for free anyway.