Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

Ugh

The whole "smart TV" thing is annoying. My parents bought a Samsung TV with their smart interface... which is identical to the smart interface on their Samsung bluray player. So they never use the one on their TV. Even on the bluray player, the only thing they'd ever use is netflix.

The "smart TV" interface is painfully slow and horribly designed, an unusable mess. Hopefully, Apple will shake up this market with their TV. I don't think I'd actually buy one, but they have a habit of spurring their competitors.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by Guspaz:

The whole "smart TV" thing is annoying.

Agreed. Most people (myself included) buy TVs to hook them up to other stuff which likely does everything "smart TVs" are poised to do better than smartTV are likely to do any time soon... and as others mentioned, much easier/cheaper to change/upgrade an external box when new content types, apps, etc. come out that require new hardware than changing the whole damned TV every time.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

said by InvalidError:

said by Guspaz:

The whole "smart TV" thing is annoying.

Agreed. Most people (myself included) buy TVs to hook them up to other stuff which likely does everything "smart TVs" are poised to do better than smartTV are likely to do any time soon... and as others mentioned, much easier/cheaper to change/upgrade an external box when new content types, apps, etc. come out that require new hardware than changing the whole damned TV every time.

No. Most people buy TVs to watch TV on! Who cares if new content types come out? I won't care. I have no interest in buying a BlueRay player or Roku or Tivo or any of that. I bought a Samsung Smart TV last September because I had finally gotten tired of not having a TV for ten years and during that ten years I NEVER ONCE went to a movie theatre and watched one movie only on my computer and hated watching it on a 5:4 monitor (I don't want a widecreen monitor either).

I could have spent $100 less and gotten the model withOUT the browser but I thought it might be fun...but I need the Samsung qwerty remote to use it and enjoy the browser. I have the TV hooked up to the internet but I have not hooked my PC to it and don't plan to. I can access files on the PC via Allshare software and that is all the access I need between my computer and my TV. So, don't say everyone buys a TV to hook it up to other stuff as that is not true at all.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by Mele20:

So, don't say everyone buys a TV to hook it up to other stuff as that is not true at all.

I said *MOST* people, NOT *all* people.