share rss forum feed
« hmmMo' Money »
This is a sub-selection from more so

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
reply to MovieLover76

Re: more so

AT&T is marketing 14.4 as 4G, as they market the iPhone as 4G. I consider it to be enhanced 3G.

Its just a bunch of marketing BS, but the other factor that's harder to quantify is how well the networks actually work. AT&T's is highly variable, Verizon's very solid, but we don't know how it will hold up a few years down the line...

And coverage is a whole different issue. Around here, T-Mobile is EDGE, AT&T is running HSPA+, and Verizon is limping along on EVDO. I don't consider us to have any 4G.

WiMAX is also a tough case. Should WiMAX be allowed to be marketed as 4G when AT&T's HSPA+ sometimes can match it's speed?

koolman2
Premium
join:2002-10-01
Anchorage, AK
I have never seen AT&T market the iPhone 4S as 4G.

BiggA

EARTH

What do you call this?
From wireless.att.com:

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA
kudos:4
Wow. That's what, 28Mb/s slower than my phone! That's what people mean by not calling HSPA+ not 4g. It's not the same, but it isn't 3g either, considering evdo 3g is max 3Mb usually. And not all HSPA+ is the same either.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC
kudos:1
reply to koolman2
Don't forget that AT&T wanted to change the 3G symbol on the screen to 4G....

Apple wasn't having any of that.

»www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2394434,00.asp

Perhaps a "Throttled" indicator would be more appropriate.... Suggestions for what form that should take?
--
"We're going to start at one end of (Fallujah), and we're not going to stop until we get to the other. If there's anybody left when that happens, we're going to turn around and we're going to go back and finish it."
Lt. Col. Pete Newell: 1st Inf. US Army

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
reply to BiggA
That would explain why I had a co-worker come to me on Friday and ask why his 4S said 3G instead of 4G....

koolman2
Premium
join:2002-10-01
Anchorage, AK
reply to BiggA
I stand corrected.

BiggA

EARTH
Fair enough. I don't agree with the way they are marking it, I think 3.5G or 3.9G or enhanced 3G or turbo 3G would be a much better marketing term.

WiMAX should be 4G even though it's slow, but the real 4G is LTE.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
San Diego, CA
Technically the current Lte used now was not originally considered 4g either so your point fails. It was approved as 4g with HSPA+.

BiggA

EARTH
Yes, I know, but it a whole new architecture, so it should be given a new "G". HSPA+ is just an evolution of UMTS.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
San Diego, CA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
What would they use? They can't use 3.5G considering it was used for devices with speeds of 3-7.2Mb/s.
»www.phonegg.com/HP/iPAQ-910c/HP-···10c.html
»www.gsmarena.com/hp_ipaq_910c-2095.php
--
The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult. The day he forgives himself, he becomes wise.
Alden Nowlan

BiggA

EARTH
3.9G, 3.75G, Turbo 3G, Super 3G, Enhanced 3G, Boosted 3G, 3G Plus, I could keep going on and on...

Or just keep advertising that AT&T's 3G is much faster than the others' 3G. Would make them look better than having crappy 4G. It's sad how AT&T's HSPA+ network gets bashed because it's awful for 4G, but if you look at it correctly, as the 3G that it is, it's really a great network (in most places).