Premium Member
join:2001-06-29

2 edits

Gone Fishing

Premium Member

[News] Microsoft to tightly integrate Windows 8 and SkyDrive

quote:
Microsoft to tightly integrate Windows 8 and SkyDrive
The goal is for SkyDrive to become a single drive available across all the devices people use
By Juan Carlos Perez | February 21, 2012 12:36 PM ET

IDG News Service - Microsoft will extend SkyDrive from being an online file storage service into what the company calls "a device cloud" that is closely integrated with Windows 8, the next version of the company's OS.

The vision is for SkyDrive to become "a single drive" available across all the devices people use, giving them "instant, secure and private access to their files" and letting them share those files with others, Microsoft said in a blog post on Monday.

Read more @ »www.computerworld.com/s/ ··· myId=158

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

I'd take it they aren't really considering the business market for this operating system? Most major corporations are so security conscious they certainly wouldn't want to have their corporate information stored on a skydrive! Presumably it will be easy to bypass or they will have a separate corporate edition to avoid this problem.

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

Link Logger

MVM

said by Msradell:

I'd take it they aren't really considering the business market for this operating system? Most major corporations are so security conscious they certainly wouldn't want to have their corporate information stored on a skydrive! Presumably it will be easy to bypass or they will have a separate corporate edition to avoid this problem.

Myself I'm thrilled with this as if I'm going to use a cloud storage it has to be as easy to use as local storage. As far as corporate things for Windows 8 I think there is going to be much happiness, but Windows 8 somewhat represents a new generation of OS's.

Blake
lawrence171
join:2001-12-24
Canada

lawrence171 to Msradell

to Msradell
said by Msradell:

Most major corporations are so security conscious...

Most of them are not. The fact that most of them allow iPhone, Android, and other BYOD on the network screams that they don't care if it saves them money. Executives and managers will likely ignore the security guys' advice, in favor of the cost savings.

Gone Fishing
Premium Member
join:2001-06-29

4 edits

Gone Fishing

Premium Member

Re:[News] Microsoft to tightly integrate Windows 8 and SkyDrive

quote:
Steven Sinofsky | 20 Feb 2012 9:00 AM

Building Windows 8
An inside look from the Windows engineering team

Connecting your apps, files, PCs and devices to the cloud with SkyDrive and Windows 8
Many folks reading this blog are active users of SkyDrive and Mesh, both part of the broad set of Windows Live services (like Hotmail), and the Windows Live Essentials programs (Messenger, Photo Gallery, Movie Maker, Mail, and more). With their introduction and with Windows 7, we have talked about how these services really complete the Windows experience. As we developed Windows 8, we thought deeply about how these services can take an even more active role in completing the experience—offering a cloud service for each and every Windows 8 customer and all their PCs (and phones), should you choose to use it. In previous posts (Signing in to Windows 8 with a Windows Live ID and Extending "Windows 8" apps to the cloud with SkyDrive) we kicked off talking about cloud services, how you can automatically roam your settings to multiple PCs, and how applications can take advantage of this roaming. In this post, we will show you three cool things that you will get by choosing to sign up and use SkyDrive with Windows 8.

This post was written by Mike Torres and Omar Shahine, Group Program Managers for SkyDrive.

--Steven

A few months ago we published our vision for designing personal cloud storage. While SkyDrive can store all types of files, the category of personal cloud storage is focused on the content that people create or capture themselves. Today we’re going to provide an update on how we expect to deliver our vision for Windows 8 and simultaneously scale to meet the needs of billions of customers who will store hundreds of petabytes of data in our service.

We’ve also prepared a short video demonstrating these three concepts in more detail:
»video.ch9.ms/ch9/cf8e/4a ··· _ch9.mp4

Read more @ »blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/arch ··· s-8.aspx