Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

William
Premium
join:2010-04-18
Washougal, WA

CO question

Never had DSL before and would like to know what a central office is actually, Frontier is saying that I am just over 10,000 feet from a CO, always thought a CO was a telephone company, all I see 2 miles down the road are 4 boxes.

Thanks

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1

The letters co stand for telephone company central office it's where the voice/dsl equipment is located
The wire pair used for voice/dsl can go back to the co or to a remote box between you and the co

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:29
reply to William

A CO is a central office, which is a building where switching equipment is located.

In some cases, a telco will install a remote terminal (RT) to extend the distance from the CO for DSL lines.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

William
Premium
Washougal, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Canvas Dreams
reply to William

Thank you wayjac and More Fiber.

I am approx. 10 miles from Washougal WA. Techs are coming out this Thursday to hook up or turn away, kind a skeptical about CO part of it, but will find out soon enough.

Currently have Gotsky (Wildblue) and absolutely hate satellite, and the possibly getting DSL is quite appealing, but will see, my luck is continuing with satellite.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:23
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

Hope everything goes smoothly with the DSL install! 10,000ft of copper should land you at around 3Mbps/768kbps of usable capacity, maybe a bit more on the download if they're offering higher speeds and the copper is up to the task. Either way, it's a wait and see what you can get from those four boxes (which is an RT, not a CO).

William
Premium
Washougal, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Canvas Dreams

That's the speed they told me I'd get, and CO is what they mentioned.

DSL 3 Mbps / 768 kbps and lower latency (no clue).
Gotsky 1 Mbps / 200 kbps and latency from 800 to 5000 ms.

My whole internet life was either dialup or satellite (satellite since 1999).

William
Premium
Washougal, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Canvas Dreams
reply to William

Been setup, so responsive.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

Great to hear the setup went smoothly! How do your modem statistics look? You can find them at »192.168.1.1/ by choosing System Monitoring, Advanced Monitors, and finally Transceiver Statistics. See how good of a line you really have and if more speed is in the future.

William
Premium
Washougal, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Canvas Dreams

No idea what should be posted or not posted, please let me know if something needs filtered out.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY

Everything's good. The statistics are acceptable, and with a little bit of work on the line you should be good for 7Mbps. 1Mbps-1.2Mbps upload looks doable right now, too.

William
Premium
Washougal, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Canvas Dreams

They were recently working at the RT location. I am loving it as is, at least for now.

When I load filezilla (for uploading website pages/images), its ready instantly, before it took up to a minute or so.

PDXPLT

join:2003-12-04
Banks, OR
reply to William

Congrats! I know how you feel; 'went from Wildblue to 3Mbps DSL a few months ago thanks to Frontier.

I'm only about 3000 ft from the RT so my transceiver statistics are even better than yours (and yours are pretty good). Even so, 3 Mbps is the fastest they offer, to avoid overloading the backhaul from the RT to the CO.