spc
Search similar:

uniqs
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

so?

Cablevision's internet service IS improving around the margins.. it's less likely you'll be stuck with 5 megabit service when everyone is online in major metro areas since there has been more node splitting-- you won't get the run-around (at customer service, like so what?!? your cablemodem internet is slow..) you did for the last decade.. even less so when FIOS comes waltzing into parts of Queens and Brooklyn.

Still, a major sticking point with FIOS is what's old is new again.. that being higher prices, contracts, service fees from hell and beyond make FIOS a higher priced product than it was 2 years ago. There's really no getting around that at the moment.. Haven't really seen paychecks rise 25% in the last 2 years.. did yours?

Not that I care that much... the FIOS extreme tv package has lost MORE channels and value over the last 2 years while the price went up.. (even a price lock doesn't guarantee that they won't pass along fee increases). If somebody would like to look at the language of that ad campaign of 2 years ago and see if there's some legal standing for class action.. I'd sign up!

BTW, young people.. stop being so gullable, do what's best for YOU! That could mean signing up for either the cable-co, telco, or neither..
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99

no one smart buys house or rents apartment based on must have criteria:

umm, does this have fiber to the premises internet. There is still plenty of other options available, especially around in areas where FIOS is present. I as a buyer/renter always look first at how nice apt is, what neighborhood, utilities (AC, sundeck, dishwasher, in-unit washer, etc), how close to work and price.
NYC Girl
Premium Member
join:2007-02-04
Bronx, NY

NYC Girl to tmc8080

Premium Member

to tmc8080
said by tmc8080:

Cablevision's internet service IS improving around the margins.. it's less likely you'll be stuck with 5 megabit service when everyone is online in major metro areas since there has been more node splitting-- you won't get the run-around (at customer service, like so what?!? your cablemodem internet is slow..) you did for the last decade.. even less so when FIOS comes waltzing into parts of Queens and Brooklyn.

Still, a major sticking point with FIOS is what's old is new again.. that being higher prices, contracts, service fees from hell and beyond make FIOS a higher priced product than it was 2 years ago. There's really no getting around that at the moment.. Haven't really seen paychecks rise 25% in the last 2 years.. did yours?

Not that I care that much... the FIOS extreme tv package has lost MORE channels and value over the last 2 years while the price went up.. (even a price lock doesn't guarantee that they won't pass along fee increases). If somebody would like to look at the language of that ad campaign of 2 years ago and see if there's some legal standing for class action.. I'd sign up!

BTW, young people.. stop being so gullable, do what's best for YOU! That could mean signing up for either the cable-co, telco, or neither..

I get a better deal with FIOS $$$ wise and more stuff.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory to chgo_man99

to chgo_man99
Fios was one of the things we looked for...
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99

said by jjeffeory:

Fios was one of the things we looked for...

most people on this forum, probably, but its unlikely my friends who main interest, hobby is toward finance, consulting, biology would care. Most would take FIOS into consideration, but doubt would weight all other decisions against it.

P.S. 2 years ago when i was in college in Chicago, I lunched internet/facebook group campaing "bring Google Fiber to Chicago" Most people I sent invitation to join group, did not care and never responded.

Also there are towns, like Los Angeles and DFW split between at&t (uverse) and verizon (fios). Those looking for TV, will be better appealed by u-verse, I dunno due to nice cisco dvr boxes and lot of features they offer. As long as pixelation, compression doesnt suck I guess. Those looking for super high speed will bundle with cable internet or move to the area with FIOS. And of course there are fantastic cities, Chicago with just u-verse only and New York City with FIOS only. U'll move to either based on job, cost of living, connections, etc before what ISPs server these areas.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926 to tmc8080

to tmc8080
quote:
bla bla bla... FIOS a higher priced product than it was 2 years ago. There's really no getting around that at the moment.. Haven't really seen paychecks rise 25% in the last 2 years.. did yours?
Wheres your facts from? Please tell us all, what was the average FiOS bill 2 years ago, what is the average FIOS bill today. Youre insinuating that FIOS prices have gone up 25% in the last 2 years, thats a heap of BS.
quote:
Not that I care that much... the FIOS extreme tv package has lost MORE channels and value over the last 2 years while the price went up..
Please give us a list of channels that have been taken away from Extreme. Please enlighten us. And once more, please tell us exactly by what price margin prices have gone up. I can make you a nice list of channels that have been ADDED within the last 2 years.

Tired of you spewing out these opinions that you try to portray as factual. Im not saying prices havnt gone up AT ALL. You greatly exaggerate the facts. All the providers prices go up. What prices for services have gone down? Ever heard of inflation?
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

said by ITALIAN926:

quote:
bla bla bla... FIOS a higher priced product than it was 2 years ago. There's really no getting around that at the moment.. Haven't really seen paychecks rise 25% in the last 2 years.. did yours?
Wheres your facts from? Please tell us all, what was the average FiOS bill 2 years ago, what is the average FIOS bill today. Youre insinuating that FIOS prices have gone up 25% in the last 2 years, thats a heap of BS.
quote:
Not that I care that much... the FIOS extreme tv package has lost MORE channels and value over the last 2 years while the price went up..
Please give us a list of channels that have been taken away from Extreme. Please enlighten us. And once more, please tell us exactly by what price margin prices have gone up. I can make you a nice list of channels that have been ADDED within the last 2 years.

Tired of you spewing out these opinions that you try to portray as factual. Im not saying prices havnt gone up AT ALL. You greatly exaggerate the facts. All the providers prices go up. What prices for services have gone down? Ever heard of inflation?

Bundle price late 2009 $79.99 for 25/25, extreme tv pkg, and digital voice. Price in 2012? 109.99 (maybe you can get $10 off, maybe not.. but more than likely you'll be in a CONTRACT for the nugget of $120/yr with a more than twice that amount as an ETF with no prorate) At a minimum that's about 25% more..
As far as channels.. in the 2 years.. they got rid of half the music (audio) channels many of which were kind of duplicates of 2 music services they had since 2003. Then there are some channels which either no longer exist or that were clipped from the FIOS package.. off the top of my head.. abc family, funimation, couple of sports channels, mgm, etc

»www.highdefforum.com/ver ··· big.html

I rarely spout eggerations on this forum (unless for effect)-- but I have the facts to back this one up.. Still average price includes their "bundle deals"-- whoever decides to pay the regular undiscounted rates is a fool. FYI, the bundle price does NOT includ taxes & fees which you will be nicked & dimed for maybe not in your first few months.. but as time goes on.. they look to boost revenue any way they can and not save consumers money.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926

FYI, Ive been installing $79 triple plays for Prime every day. Just a few months ago, we were doing Extremes for $69 ! Extreme is a $10 add on here in NY, thats where you are, correct? But you would never mention any of that, would ya?

You dont mention how Showtime , The Movie Channel and Flix are all included as standard channels as well, even in Prime. You fail to mention how we now have free for life DVR's and free Standard boxes for triple plays.

I Just went on the website and found $119 for ULTIMATE, in NY thats every single movie channel. That either included a $300 gift card or a free for life DVR if you lock for 2 years. Thats not a good deal either I guess. As far as internet speeds, they have all been boosted from 2 years ago.

About 2 years ago, FiOS didnt have a digital voice option, now they DO. There goes some of the fees and overall price increases you boast about in a 2year span.

All in all, its still an awesome value even though they shuffle things around. When I get home, I'll be making you a list of all the channels they ADDED to Extreme in the last 2 years.