spc
uniqs
schnauz
join:2007-12-10
Nepean, ON

schnauz to JenSuisUn

to JenSuisUn

Re: Teksavvy Cable - Connection Dropping every 4-8 Hours

Put me down as still having ongoing disconnects, happened again today and took about 30 minutes for it to come back. This is with a SB6120, I see most of the discussion on here has been to do with the Thomson DCM475 modems, so either my issue is completely isolated to my line or it's a more widespread issue that has nothing to do with modem firmware. I just wish it would get sorted because the downtime is getting to be a real pain in the arse. I'm on the Fallowfield POI if that's any help.

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

Hi Schnauz,

If you haven't called in or posted in the »/forum ··· avdirect Forum, I'd suggest you do so. As your issue would definitely be an isolated case.
schnauz
join:2007-12-10
Nepean, ON

schnauz

I did call in several times when I had that two day outage a few weeks ago, and while your techs were very polite, they didn't seem to have the tools (the difference between supporting a Rogers line vs. a Bell DSL connection) or the knowledge to help much. It came down to "Do you have another modem you can try?" (no, $100 for one modem is enough for me) or "Plug the modem's power directly into the wall-socket" (I fail to see how doing this vs. plugging into a UPS will help). A ticket to Rogers was put in but the modem finally reconnected about an hour before the Rogers tech was due to show up. My line stats are fine according to the TSI techs I had previously spoken with.

I haven't bothered to put in another ticket since the outages I've had since that two day one have all been short (15-30 minutes) and no one seemed to be able to identify any problem previously. I figured I'd be wasting my time sitting on the phone for ages trying to get through to only be told that everything looks ok.

Considering that what I've had happening is pretty much the same issue as other folks in this thread have (connection slows down to a crawl, then disconnects), I wouldn't have thought mine was an isolated case. Either way, I'll make a post in the direct forum if I keep having this issue if you guys think it's isolated one.
Pharaoh11
join:2011-02-01
Toronto, ON

Pharaoh11

said by schnauz:

I did call in several times when I had that two day outage a few weeks ago, and while your techs were very polite, they didn't seem to have the tools (the difference between supporting a Rogers line vs. a Bell DSL connection) or the knowledge to help much. It came down to "Do you have another modem you can try?" (no, $100 for one modem is enough for me) or "Plug the modem's power directly into the wall-socket" (I fail to see how doing this vs. plugging into a UPS will help). A ticket to Rogers was put in but the modem finally reconnected about an hour before the Rogers tech was due to show up. My line stats are fine according to the TSI techs I had previously spoken with.

I haven't bothered to put in another ticket since the outages I've had since that two day one have all been short (15-30 minutes) and no one seemed to be able to identify any problem previously. I figured I'd be wasting my time sitting on the phone for ages trying to get through to only be told that everything looks ok.

Considering that what I've had happening is pretty much the same issue as other folks in this thread have (connection slows down to a crawl, then disconnects), I wouldn't have thought mine was an isolated case. Either way, I'll make a post in the direct forum if I keep having this issue if you guys think it's isolated one.

I feel your pain.

There is a over focus on the modems and not enough on other causes.

I myself generally had only minor issues over the last 9 months or so after upgrading my modem.
Nothing too much beyond the norm you would expect.

On the 19th of last month they did maintenance to deal with the ongoing dhcp issues and i was down for a day..not unexpected.

Now i get many resets daily and they keep blaming the modem which has worked perfectly fine tell they did the work.

Who knows maybe the modems older firmware does have a flaw but its clearly not the reason for the resets since it hasn't been a issue for the 9 months tell they did the work.

Logic says if something works fine for that period of time tell you do maintenance thats its likely something to do with the maintenance.

pko200
@teksavvy.com

pko200

Anon

Pharaoh11 is absolutely right about it not being the modem. I have the SBG6580 provisioned as a SB6120 and now its resetting maybe once or twice a day for about a minute. It has been rock solid for more than a year since I have been using it. It makes no difference what model of modem or firmware you use. Obviously Rogers is up to something.They can never leave well enough alone.When Rogers took over the territory in our neighbourhood from Shaw Cable back in the nineties things went downhill. They cut the internet speed by half when they took over. I wish there would be an alternative Cable provider that stuck closely to the DOCSIS specifications .