OwlSaver
OwlSaver
Premium
join:2005-01-30
Berwyn, PA
reply to majortom1029

Re: why?

said by majortom1029:

In nyc people shouldnt need a fios finder. I thought their agreement with nyc states they have to have the whole city wired before a certain time. Meaning a fios finder should not be needed in nyc.

They have to wire the city. But owners of MDU's do not have to allow FiOS. I imagine that Verizon is doing this in part to encourage MDU owners to take up FiOS fo their tennants.

Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
here's a dose of reality for you;
my building has a bulk rate contract with TWCable and can get DOCSIS3 Wideband.
a few years ago RCN skipped my building because they knew they could not get the
50% penetration needed to justify the MDU service distribution plant costs.
Even if FiOS came to my building, our rate contract would ruin their cost advantage.
Verizon is doing the same math, and would rather pay Lawyers to keep NYC off
their backs in 2015, then have to build in areas they can no longer profit from.
Verizon is way too busy doing profitable wireless, to give a shyt about any new
high cost Union labor intensive FiOS. That's why they build that yuppy web sight,
so if you want FiOS so badly, let it's geographic availability be part of your next move,
since young tech savvy people move more often than old - that's their target audience.

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
reply to OwlSaver
Exactly. Hopefully it will put pressure on the MDU's that are still in last century to get with the program and get wired up!