All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
TacoBell5
join:2012-02-22

TacoBell5

Why is now my first hop denied?????

I wanted to resurrect an older post where tdurd asked "Why is my first hop to a DoD assigned IP address?" I recently noticed that my first hop was indeed going to the DoD. Up until last week could see that every time i ran a trace route command. Now this week it seems as if they are not replying to the ICMP requests put out by the trace route command. ANy clues, or leads?

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly

dod?
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

said by Pauly:

dod?

Department of Defense.

Rogers doesn't reuse IP addresses in their internal networks, so of course, they ran out. They got permission from the DoD & an England agency to use their IP ranges, provided they're internally routed only.

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly

so whats the question

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook to TacoBell5

Mod

to TacoBell5
First, although the IP address fo the first hop was assigned to US DoD as mentioned, it was actually being used as a non-routable IP address. It can be used within Rogers networks as long as it's not routed outside Rogers. So, no, you packets never actually went through US DoD systems.

Next Rogers routinely disables ICMP pings on some or many hops particularly on very active routers to keep the load on the routers down.

There is nothing wrong ... it's just disconcerting to see the timeouts on these hops.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983 to TacoBell5

Premium Member

to TacoBell5
Question was why Rogers hops aren't replying to ICMP requests...

Answer is: probably so people can't diagnose local node issues and then complain to Rogers with proof they're morons and can't manage their network.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Yup ... I kept having problems up to my CMTS and kept complaining. Eventually Rogers did fix it ... but immediately after they fixed it, they disabled pings on the CMTS (the first hop!) Coincidence? I tend to think not and told them so!