share rss forum feed

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

[Equipment] Current top Android phones?

My wife and I are coming up on our two-year contract and I am wondering what the top Android phones available on VZW are.

Our first option is whether we stick with the current 3G unlimited plans we both have or jump to the limited 4G plans. We live in the National Capitol Region (VA) and both work in DC.

I think she uses between 500 - 1500MB/mo and I use between 2 and 3GB, so I don't see switching to 4GB being much of an issue.

She has a Droid 2 and I have a Droid X. We'll be upgrading in the March (her) and April (me) time-frames. We're not married to Motorola if there's something better and more powerful out there.

I've heard Samsung puts out the best Android phone right now, is that true? Are any of the phones out there near the end of the product life and is a refresh imminent, or should we just upgrade as soon as we are eligible?

Anyone have thoughts?
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

droid

@verizon.net
I would recommend the Droid RAZR Maxx without question. I have many friends who have upgraded from unlimited 3g to unlimited 4g, so you should be able to do that since you are grandfathered in. If you have to switch to the limited 4GB plan, I still think it's worth it though.

The best phones on the market are the RAZR Maxx and the Galaxy Nexus, but the Galaxy Nexus's screen is very large and the battery life is nowhere near as good as the RAZR Maxx. The only reason to get the Galaxy Nexus is if you want the latest pure android experience without anything else added.

I have the Droid Charge by Samsung and it is one of the oldest LTE phones, so I would recommend against it even though the screen is absolutely beautiful.

mack1951
Universal Soldier

join:2000-04-18
Bayonne, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Krisnatharok
I have the Droid Razr and I love it. The Razr Maxx is out now and while it is a little thicker the battery life is the best around. Samsung has the Galaxy Nexus which has the latest OS ice cream sandwich but the phone felt cheaper made to me. You will not lose unlimited if you go to a 4g phone, you are Grandfathered.
--
THE ROAD: Romans 3:23, 6:23, 5:8, 10:9

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
said by mack1951:

You will not lose unlimited if you go to a 4g phone, you are Grandfathered.

Good to know, thanks to both of you. I just assumed they would claim "oh, you only get unlimited 3G, if you want 4G you gotta switch to a current plan." Guess they're not the sneaky corporate schmucks we think they are all the time.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Steely
I rise when the sun goes down
Premium
join:2000-10-15
Princeton Junction, NJ
kudos:1
reply to mack1951
Any idea if and when VZW might push ICS to the Razr/Razr Maxx and what worthwhile features it would add?

Also, the Droid 4 is out and getting surprisingly good (or at least much better than I expected) preliminary user reviews on the VZW website. Sometimes I really miss having a physical QWERTY keyboard.

Too bad VZW is so heavily invested in Motorola (or is it now Google?) smartphones. After a year and a half with a quirky Droid X I'd be happy to abandon Motorola if only there were a decidedly better option. I'm fully eligible for an upgrade in early April.

shealyse
Premium
join:2004-04-15
Lexington, SC
reply to Krisnatharok
I ultimately went with the RAZR Maxx. The Galaxy Nexus was horrible- has some radio issues and was literally unusable as a phone. DO a few internet searches on galaxy nexus and dropped calls or one way audio. You will be in the middle of a conversation and the other party will no longer be able to hear you. It was extremely frustrating.

Verizon and Samsung still have no ETA on a fix. I returned the Nexus and got the Maxx. No regrets. It has been a solid device and the battery life is very good.

Maxx is slated to get ICS but no definitive date yet.

mack1951
Universal Soldier

join:2000-04-18
Bayonne, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Steely
If you like a physical keyboard the Droid 4 is the way to go. I never had any problems with my Droid X and really prefer Motorola phones because they always felt better built to me. As for ICS the date being mentioned is sometime in the 2nd Quater but who knows for sure. I like the Razr the way it is so I hope they don't rush the update.
--
THE ROAD: Romans 3:23, 6:23, 5:8, 10:9

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Steely
said by Steely:

After a year and a half with a quirky Droid X I'd be happy to abandon Motorola if only there were a decidedly better option. I'm fully eligible for an upgrade in early April.

I'm in the same boat. inexplicable slow-downs or lock-ups to the point that the power button doesn't even help you get out of it (gotta take the battery out to do a hard reset). I've tried app-killers and everything short of rooting it but it still feels slow and bloated.

However, if the Razr Maxx doesn't have these issues, I have no other problem with getting new Motorola phones. Definitely be interesting to see what Google-Motorola puts out in the next two years.
--

Steely
Premium
Princeton Junction, NJ
I can upgrade at a "discounted" price right now but if I wait until early April I qualify for an extra $50 off. Besides, by then they might have some more attractive options or perhaps a lower price on the present models.

duff3310

join:2012-02-05
reply to Krisnatharok
I tried out the RAZR MAXX, but returned it because my device would continuously reboot and the signal quality on my particular phone was terrible. Went to the HTC Rezound, battery life isn't as good but the screen is awesome (the Maxx looked good for video, but the text was really grainy). I have yet to drop a call, and the device is fast. Also, I saved $200 (on sale now for $99) compared to the MAXX.

hoyleysox
Premium
join:2003-11-07
Long Beach, CA
reply to Krisnatharok
Interested in 4g mobile [wifi] hotspot functionality. Doesn't seem the razr max has that, what is the next best handset?

RenHoek
You Eeeediot
Premium
join:2000-10-02
Peyton, CO
Reviews:
·Skybeam
reply to shealyse
said by shealyse:

I ultimately went with the RAZR Maxx. The Galaxy Nexus was horrible- has some radio issues and was literally unusable as a phone. DO a few internet searches on galaxy nexus and dropped calls or one way audio. You will be in the middle of a conversation and the other party will no longer be able to hear you. It was extremely frustrating.

Verizon and Samsung still have no ETA on a fix. I returned the Nexus and got the Maxx. No regrets. It has been a solid device and the battery life is very good.

Maxx is slated to get ICS but no definitive date yet.

I've got a Galaxy Nexus and love it. No radio problems at all.
--
Don't touch that, it's the history eraser button you fool!

Steely
Premium
Princeton Junction, NJ
reply to hoyleysox
said by hoyleysox:

Interested in 4g mobile [wifi] hotspot functionality. Doesn't seem the razr max has that, what is the next best handset?

»support.verizonwireless.com/clc/···id=49624

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to Krisnatharok
there are some good deals on the phones right now. They have several 4G phones with an extra $100 off online. I just ordered a ReZound to replace my Incredible. It was only $99 online while if I had ordered over the phone it would have still been $199.
Plus they are still offering 4GB of data each month for $30 instead of the normal 2GB.

I used to have unlimited with my Incredible and went over 2GB several months a year. So the special $100 off, double the data, and me getting my FiOS $327 gift card yesterday all worked out. the only thing I missed out on was my new every 2 discount which wouldn't have taken effect for another month. but it was down to only $30 now so it really didn't matter too much.

Steely
Premium
Princeton Junction, NJ
said by aaronwt:

I used to have unlimited with my Incredible...

So why weren't you grandfathered in?

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to Krisnatharok
Droid Razr Maxx seems like a good phone

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to Steely
said by Steely:

said by aaronwt:

I was grandfathered in. But when I activate my new 4G ReZound phone I will lose the unlimited and have 4GB per month instead.

JustSean

join:2012-02-25
reply to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

...Our first option is whether we stick with the current 3G unlimited plans we both have or jump to the limited 4G plans.

If, at the time you upgrade, the system tries to move you off of your current unlimited plan, just ask to be placed back on to it. As long as you already have an unlimited plan, you are eligible to keep it when changing from 3g to 4g LTE (or the other way around, if you happen to be moving in that direction).

--Sean

----------------
Full Disclosure: The viewpoints expressed in this forum are my own and do not necessarily represent those of my employer. That said, I am a Verizon Wireless customer care rep.

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to aaronwt
Activate over the phone with a rep.

Similar thing happened to me when I tried to change plan minutes on a family share:
The website was trying to force me to choose a new data plan for one of the lines that had unlimited. Only choice was the 2GB plan. Canceled out of the transaction and called the 1-800 number. No problem changing the minutes plan without changing the data side.
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

Fir_Na_Tine
Giggity Giggity
Premium
join:2001-01-03
Sout Joisy
reply to aaronwt
said by aaronwt:

said by Steely:

said by aaronwt:

I was grandfathered in. But when I activate my new 4G ReZound phone I will lose the unlimited and have 4GB per month instead.

I just ordered the Rezound as well online. It let me keep my unlimited data without changing it. My old Incredible I will give to the wife, I guess I will have to get a 4GB plan for her under our family share plan.
--
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to aaronwt
said by aaronwt:

No you won't (unless you make another change that forces it -- but you do NOT HAVE TO).

Somnambul33t
L33t.
Premium
join:2002-12-05
Blackwood, NJ
reply to Krisnatharok
Galaxy Nexus is the best phone in the world right now. i've no experience with the new razrs but i cant past not having a replaceable battery. battery life after a year of heavy use is 1/2-2/3 what it was new. it does come stock with a rather large battery, tho.

the new razr (are there 2?) seems pretty cool, but the GN is just phenomenal. 4.65" of video/games, 4.3" of android OS, beautiful, curved display, pure google experience and devoid of most things Verizon, easily rooted/rom'ed...doesnt get much better.

Somnambul33t
L33t.
Premium
Blackwood, NJ
reply to shealyse
said by shealyse:

ive had my GN for a month and a half, and while ive heard rumblings of dropped calls and random reboots on forums, ive not experienced either. it's been a solid phone for me and gets waaay better reception than my THunderbolt ever did with >= battery life. the next update, 4.0.3/4/5 (anybody's guess at this point) features significantly better battery life and fixes the random reboots. like i said, tho, im in south jersey, living in 4G and working in 3G, and never experienced anything bad.

battery life on the GN is only bad if youve never experienced the Thunderbolt or other HTC flagship phones.

Somnambul33t
L33t.
Premium
Blackwood, NJ
reply to hoyleysox
said by hoyleysox:

all new android phones of the last 1+ year support this in hardware. Verizon disables this in software unless you pay them.

you can also install apps/widgets to completely ignore VZW and do it anyway. i use Wireless Tether or WiFi Tether or something all the time to share my 4G with a laptop. works flawlessly.

Somnambul33t
L33t.
Premium
Blackwood, NJ
reply to Hall
said by Hall:

said by aaronwt:

No you won't (unless you make another change that forces it -- but you do NOT HAVE TO).

Hall is correct. You're not "grandfathered" in if they dont let you keep your old plan lol. you're either grandfathered in and keep unlimited data when you activate a new phone or youre not grandfathered in and are forced to pick a new plan.

also there arent "4G" plans. data is all considered the same and going from a 3G phone to a 4G phone on verizon has no bearing at all. a data plan is a data plan.

Fir_Na_Tine
Giggity Giggity
Premium
Sout Joisy
said by Somnambul33t:

said by Hall:

said by aaronwt:

also there arent "4G" plans. data is all considered the same and going from a 3G phone to a 4G phone on verizon has no bearing at all. a data plan is a data plan.

I don't think that is correct. When I upgraded to my Rezound I was able to keep the Unlimited plan but when I switched my wife's flip phone with my old Incredible the guy at the store said he would put it under the 2GB plan, when i asked why the unlimited didn't carry over to that phone he said when I originally signed up I only had the one phone. But then I inquired as to why I didn't qualify for the 4GB plan for $30, he said thats for 4G phones only, and the Incredible is 3G only. So it seems in regards to the promotions they do separate the 3G and $G data.
--
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
No, the reason is is that your wife's flip phone had a different "type" of (unlimited) data plan. Basically, smartphones have one type of data plan(s) than older, feature phones.

To repeat, there is not a 3G or 4G data plan, they're one and the same.

Fir_Na_Tine
Giggity Giggity
Premium
Sout Joisy
said by Hall:

No, the reason is is that your wife's flip phone had a different "type" of (unlimited) data plan. Basically, smartphones have one type of data plan(s) than older, feature phones.

To repeat, there is not a 3G or 4G data plan, they're one and the same.

Yes but if my wife's phone was a 4G phone it would have qualified for the 4GB for $30 special promotion. But since it was 3G only its not eligible. So it seems like 2 different pricing promotions to me for data, otherwise I should have gotten 4Gb for $30 right? Her old flip phone didn't have any data plan. Both phones (Rezound 4G and Incredible 3G) are on family share plan.
--
-Jimi Hendrix

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
You were lied to or had a misinformed rep.

Going from a 3G Incredible to a 4G Rezound was *no* change in data plan. Going from a non-smartphone, i.e. your wife's old flip phone, to a smartphone plan req'd a "new" data plan. The data plan your wife had on her old phone was a different type.

Fir_Na_Tine
Giggity Giggity
Premium
Sout Joisy
said by Hall:

You were lied to or had a misinformed rep.

Going from a 3G Incredible to a 4G Rezound was *no* change in data plan. Going from a non-smartphone, i.e. your wife's old flip phone, to a smartphone plan req'd a "new" data plan. The data plan your wife had on her old phone was a different type.

The promotion that they are running now is 4GB for $30 is for 4G phones only, according to the sales associate my wife's wasn't eligible for it since it was a 3G only phone. If it were a 4G phone then it would have qualified. But instead I had to pay the 2GB for $30. Hence why I say they do make a distinction between 3G and 4G plans in regard to this promotion.
--
-Jimi Hendrix