uniqs
share rss forum feed

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to aaronwt

Re: [Equipment] Current top Android phones?

said by aaronwt:

I was grandfathered in. But when I activate my new 4G ReZound phone I will lose the unlimited and have 4GB per month instead.

No you won't (unless you make another change that forces it -- but you do NOT HAVE TO).

Somnambul33t
L33t.
Premium
join:2002-12-05
Blackwood, NJ
reply to Krisnatharok
Galaxy Nexus is the best phone in the world right now. i've no experience with the new razrs but i cant past not having a replaceable battery. battery life after a year of heavy use is 1/2-2/3 what it was new. it does come stock with a rather large battery, tho.

the new razr (are there 2?) seems pretty cool, but the GN is just phenomenal. 4.65" of video/games, 4.3" of android OS, beautiful, curved display, pure google experience and devoid of most things Verizon, easily rooted/rom'ed...doesnt get much better.

Somnambul33t
L33t.
Premium
Blackwood, NJ
reply to shealyse
said by shealyse:

I ultimately went with the RAZR Maxx. The Galaxy Nexus was horrible- has some radio issues and was literally unusable as a phone. DO a few internet searches on galaxy nexus and dropped calls or one way audio. You will be in the middle of a conversation and the other party will no longer be able to hear you. It was extremely frustrating.

Verizon and Samsung still have no ETA on a fix. I returned the Nexus and got the Maxx. No regrets. It has been a solid device and the battery life is very good.

ive had my GN for a month and a half, and while ive heard rumblings of dropped calls and random reboots on forums, ive not experienced either. it's been a solid phone for me and gets waaay better reception than my THunderbolt ever did with >= battery life. the next update, 4.0.3/4/5 (anybody's guess at this point) features significantly better battery life and fixes the random reboots. like i said, tho, im in south jersey, living in 4G and working in 3G, and never experienced anything bad.

battery life on the GN is only bad if youve never experienced the Thunderbolt or other HTC flagship phones.

Somnambul33t
L33t.
Premium
Blackwood, NJ
reply to hoyleysox
said by hoyleysox:

Interested in 4g mobile [wifi] hotspot functionality. Doesn't seem the razr max has that, what is the next best handset?

all new android phones of the last 1+ year support this in hardware. Verizon disables this in software unless you pay them.

you can also install apps/widgets to completely ignore VZW and do it anyway. i use Wireless Tether or WiFi Tether or something all the time to share my 4G with a laptop. works flawlessly.

Somnambul33t
L33t.
Premium
Blackwood, NJ
reply to Hall
said by Hall:

said by aaronwt:

I was grandfathered in. But when I activate my new 4G ReZound phone I will lose the unlimited and have 4GB per month instead.

No you won't (unless you make another change that forces it -- but you do NOT HAVE TO).

Hall is correct. You're not "grandfathered" in if they dont let you keep your old plan lol. you're either grandfathered in and keep unlimited data when you activate a new phone or youre not grandfathered in and are forced to pick a new plan.

also there arent "4G" plans. data is all considered the same and going from a 3G phone to a 4G phone on verizon has no bearing at all. a data plan is a data plan.

Fir_Na_Tine
Giggity Giggity
Premium
join:2001-01-03
Sout Joisy
said by Somnambul33t:

said by Hall:

said by aaronwt:

also there arent "4G" plans. data is all considered the same and going from a 3G phone to a 4G phone on verizon has no bearing at all. a data plan is a data plan.

I don't think that is correct. When I upgraded to my Rezound I was able to keep the Unlimited plan but when I switched my wife's flip phone with my old Incredible the guy at the store said he would put it under the 2GB plan, when i asked why the unlimited didn't carry over to that phone he said when I originally signed up I only had the one phone. But then I inquired as to why I didn't qualify for the 4GB plan for $30, he said thats for 4G phones only, and the Incredible is 3G only. So it seems in regards to the promotions they do separate the 3G and $G data.
--
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
No, the reason is is that your wife's flip phone had a different "type" of (unlimited) data plan. Basically, smartphones have one type of data plan(s) than older, feature phones.

To repeat, there is not a 3G or 4G data plan, they're one and the same.

Fir_Na_Tine
Giggity Giggity
Premium
Sout Joisy
said by Hall:

No, the reason is is that your wife's flip phone had a different "type" of (unlimited) data plan. Basically, smartphones have one type of data plan(s) than older, feature phones.

To repeat, there is not a 3G or 4G data plan, they're one and the same.

Yes but if my wife's phone was a 4G phone it would have qualified for the 4GB for $30 special promotion. But since it was 3G only its not eligible. So it seems like 2 different pricing promotions to me for data, otherwise I should have gotten 4Gb for $30 right? Her old flip phone didn't have any data plan. Both phones (Rezound 4G and Incredible 3G) are on family share plan.
--
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
You were lied to or had a misinformed rep.

Going from a 3G Incredible to a 4G Rezound was *no* change in data plan. Going from a non-smartphone, i.e. your wife's old flip phone, to a smartphone plan req'd a "new" data plan. The data plan your wife had on her old phone was a different type.

Fir_Na_Tine
Giggity Giggity
Premium
Sout Joisy
said by Hall:

Going from a 3G Incredible to a 4G Rezound was *no* change in data plan. Going from a non-smartphone, i.e. your wife's old flip phone, to a smartphone plan req'd a "new" data plan. The data plan your wife had on her old phone was a different type.

The promotion that they are running now is 4GB for $30 is for 4G phones only, according to the sales associate my wife's wasn't eligible for it since it was a 3G only phone. If it were a 4G phone then it would have qualified. But instead I had to pay the 2GB for $30. Hence why I say they do make a distinction between 3G and 4G plans in regard to this promotion.
--
-Jimi Hendrix

Somnambul33t
L33t.
Premium
Blackwood, NJ
said by Fir_Na_Tine:

said by Hall:

The promotion that they are running now is 4GB for $30 is for 4G phones only, according to the sales associate my wife's wasn't eligible for it since it was a 3G only phone. If it were a 4G phone then it would have qualified. But instead I had to pay the 2GB for $30. Hence why I say they do make a distinction between 3G and 4G plans in regard to this promotion.

that makes sense. sorta. it's a promotion for 4G phones only, although the data plans themselves are agnostic to the type of phone you have.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
Well, we replaced my wife's phone last week, went from a Droid X2 to a Droid 4, and she kept her (now 4G) unlimited.

I'm up for an upgrade in about 3 weeks. Still not sold on the RAZR Maxx, but it looks to be the best VZW is offering if you want to avoid Apple?
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Somnambul33t
L33t.
Premium
Blackwood, NJ
said by Krisnatharok:

Well, we replaced my wife's phone last week, went from a Droid X2 to a Droid 4, and she kept her (now 4G) unlimited.

I'm up for an upgrade in about 3 weeks. Still not sold on the RAZR Maxx, but it looks to be the best VZW is offering if you want to avoid Apple?

galaxy nexus is the top phone IMO. it's got less garbage pre-installed, is easily unlocked/rooted, has a bigger, brighter screen with a much higher resolution (4.65" 1280x720 v 4.3" 960x540 is like comparing rolls royce to a toyota) , and a removable battery. no removable battery is a deal-breaker for me. batteries lose about 1/4 their life per year of daily use, so you're looking at ~1/2 life by the time your contract is up.

not that the GN is perfect, but it's enough of a gap that i didnt even consider the razr when i got mine in janurary.

the razr is a really nice phone, but the GN is on a whole other level IMO

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
Do you know what the ETA is on the new Nexus phone?

I hit my 2 yr mark yesterday, but if something new is coming out in a month or so, I'd rather wait....

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
said by Krisnatharok:

Do you know what the ETA is on the new Nexus phone?

Ask people who waited for the Nexus what the ETA was vs when it was actually released.

spkay

join:2005-11-10
Princeton, MA
I'm holding off for a few more months even though I'm able to upgrade now. I suspect the quad core ICS phones from Samsung and HTC will hit Verizon soon and make the RAZR Maxx and GNex look rather mundane. It's not just the additional processing power but also the better power efficiency of the Tegra3 / Exynos processors that has me excited. Couple that with better camera sensors and better screens (though probably not much better than GNex) and I don't want to lock in just yet.....

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
There's always something better coming...

sc32valve

@comcast.net
By far the best phone out on Verizon right now is the HTC Rezound. It was on sale a week ago fro $49, but it is back up to $299. It is kind right now without a doubt.

chaosdude

join:2002-09-09
New Brunswick, NJ

3 edits
reply to Krisnatharok
++ HTC Rezound, great high res 4.3 LCD (not AMOLED, but higher pixel density then Gnex or RAZR or iPhone's "retina"), Replaceable battery & SD card expansion. I've had the phone 3 months with no issues, good 4g reception, and works well as a phone. Vz has has 2 big sales on this so far so you might be able to get it for $100 or less. The possible negatives is not everyone likes the HTC Sense UI overlay (I think it's a lot better then Motorola's on my Droid 2, also the Rezound is rootable if you really want stock android) and the battery life with the standard batt is not great but is fine with the extended battery.
PS the regular price is $199 like the Gnex and RAZR

Sniper3142
Slapsho3142

join:2002-01-25
Tustin, CA
reply to Krisnatharok
Currently THE best LTE phone available in the U.S. is the Motorola Razr Maxx.

The screen is BEAUTIFUL and the battery life is amazing. The battery is "non-replaceable" but it lasts for a good couple of days of HARD use so that isn't an issue. If the battery ever goes bad, it can be replaced by a technician.

And the Razr Maxx will be getting ICS fairly soon.

decifal

join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN
kudos:1
reply to Krisnatharok
ATM you can still be grandfathered when upgrading.. But that is going to change.. If you use their subsidized phone upgrade path you'll have to choose a new plan.. If multiple phones, you'll have to go with a family share plan thats coming out...

They are just completely sucking the fun outta technology... I hate non reality non working ceo's that think everyone's rich and can afford to pay $10 a gig...

These people need to be forced to dig ditches for a year

Simple Guy

join:2012-05-16
reply to Krisnatharok
IMO based on real customer reviews and commercial reviews the best bet right now is the Razr or if you want to pay an extra $100 for longer battery life the Razr Maxx. It also is a good thing for the future that Google just bought Motorola.

No phone has the best of everything but overall the two phones above are the best way to go IMO.

The greatest "weakness" relatively speaking is as of May 31st the phones do not have ICS. They are scheduled to upgrade to ICS most likely in June.

Verizon's double data promotion ends June 5th.

However as of May 31 Verizon has $100 off the two phones so with a new two-year contract Razr is $99.99 and the Maxx is $199.99 so that sweetens the deal more--plus with ICS coming...well you get the picture. (Deduct another $30 per phone if you have the loyalty discount.)