spc
Search similar:

uniqs
spyd4r
join:2004-05-06
canada

spyd4r

[Internet] getting bell to bring DSL to a remote area

The area in which I live is about 8km or so from an area with DSL and cable. This is just outside Waterloo, Ontario. There are a large amount of homes within the area to facilitate expanding high-speed into the area, if I had to guess I would say close to 200+ homes between the 2 towns. Would getting a petition with signatures together help in getting progress started with this issue? Does anyone have a contact at bell in which to send the signatures to? I called 1-888-590-2375 earlier, and the lady said our phone lines are off a CO which does have highspeed, but somehow we piggy back off a CO which does not provide highspeed. I was kind of confused on this one.

kitchwloo
@bell.ca

kitchwloo

Anon

In my past experience with a similar situation, I'd sarcastically say good luck -- in other words, a petition's not gonna help and you just have to wait in the dark, possibly forever.

I'm somewhat familiar with the Kitchener-Waterloo area, and if you're from West Montrose, chances are good you're on the 519-669-XXXX exchange. If hypothetically there are no neighbourhood DSL cabinets, the POTS service copper pairs run back to the Elmira CO (10 Church Street East, long nondescript building next to the Shoppers Drug Mart) which is essentially a remote of the 391 Albert Street CO in Waterloo. Bare minimum 6km loop length, so almost certainly too far for even the lowest grade of DSL that BHell offers. But with all the network expansion as of late, I'd be surprised if there isn't a fibre fed remote for DSL somewhere in West Montrose; the problem is it has to be near/adjacent to your particular jumper wire interface.
Maybe post in the direct forum to see what they say...

andyb
Premium Member
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario

andyb to spyd4r

Premium Member

to spyd4r
Bel will not do nor will rogers untill the area between you and the city fills in.What they plan on is you buying the 4G hype and using it so you can be ass raped to the poor house like the rest who were on bell/rogers wireless internet thats being shut down
RickStep
Premium Member
join:2002-11-25
Hamilton, ON

4 edits

RickStep to spyd4r

Premium Member

to spyd4r
said by BONDING :

I am just puzzled at how they let cablecos walk all over them....Technical limitation is not an excuse, innovation has always pushed the boundaries.

Common sense would dictate that if they cannot innovate, they will go extinct.....SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST.

I know that the cash cow is wireless right now, and therefore more investment is spent in 4G, LTE, and what not;
But they should not underestimate the need people will have for a fast and reliable broadband access (and unlimited!)

Bell has its head up its ass.

I live half a kilometre from downtown Hamilton, on Melbourne Street.

Melbourne St is a short street, less than 800 metres (1/2 mile), and runs between Locke St S and Dundurn St S.

Locke St these days is turning into a smaller version Toronto’s Yorkville.

The south side of Melbourne St has had Bell Fibe (to 16Mbits) for probably close to 18 months. They are fed from a crossbox on the South East corner of Locke St. & Chatham St.

The North side of Melbourne St is fed from a cross box on the East side of Locke St S about 100 feet south of Hunter St. and the maximum speed is Performance (6Mbits).

What pisses me off is that in the late Fall of 2011, Bell ran a dedicated 24 circuit fibre optic cable to Cable 14 (Cogeco) at 150 Dundurn St. South, less than 1000 feet away, North on DundurnSt.

The feed for that cable is a 48 circuit fibre line, in an alley behind the BEER STORE on Dundurn St S between Chatham St and Charlton Ave less than 1000 feet south on Dundurn. The feed to the alley is a 96 circuit fibre line within about 3km. (Source: Aecon staff installing the fibre optic cable.)

My guess is that Bell will not buy any new FTTN equipment and will only install refurbished equipment removed from FTTH upgrades. Removed equipment will be sorted, obsolete FTTN equipment would be scrapped or used for parts and the remaining equipment would be tested, have firmware upgraded and packaged for re-installation.

Recent articles have suggested that Bell is losing to cable providers.

This household's speed is fast becoming and issue that will cost Bell a loyal customer back to the late 1960's.

If I move the Internet, Bell will lose telephone and cell service as well, between $3,000.00 & &3,600.00. a year.

Bottom line is; keeping us as a Bell customer is up to Bell. As a customer, I have NO say.

What Bell needs to understand is this; I stayed with Bell, negotiated some good pricing, and NEVER bounced to other providers. Bell has failed to deliver to me the technological improvements chasing tomorrow.

What Bell failed was to understand that IF I MOVE (at 66 years old), Bell will have lost a customer FOREVER. If I stay with the new company as long as I stayed with Bell, my FUNERAL will happen BEFORE I switch back to Bell.

As I see this (if I live that long), over 90 years, Bell would not see me back before 2060 and a loss of income between $100,000.00 and $180,000.00.

90+ years is on my side. My family genetics have relatives alive between 86 and 96 years with 5 are still alive.

Rick

Edit: Clarification