join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn to Bhruic

Premium Member

to Bhruic

Re: Losing the subnet

Bell's update :

==========
We had the call today and what I can provide you is, efforts are in fact in progress with product, technology and vendor groups to find a closure to this case.
I am afraid I do not have any timeframes I can provide.
==========

I was expecting, a nope, don't have a problem... so I'm actually happy about this for now.
chrisl83
join:2011-06-21
Almonte, ON

chrisl83

wouldn't the best thing for bell to do is drop the modem rental fee until it's fixed or something?. Glad I'm on cable or I'd be livid.
s0dhi
join:2011-08-02
Brampton, ON

s0dhi to JenSuisUn

to JenSuisUn
said by JenSuisUn:

Bell's update :

==========
We had the call today and what I can provide you is, efforts are in fact in progress with product, technology and vendor groups to find a closure to this case.
==========

I was expecting, a nope, don't have a problem... so I'm actually happy about this for now.

Martin,

Since we're paying for rental fees, can you make a case for getting us Sagemcoms in the interim?
kovy7
join:2009-03-26

kovy7

said by s0dhi:

said by JenSuisUn:

Bell's update :

==========
==========

Martin,

Since we're paying for rental fees, can you make a case for getting us Sagemcoms in the interim?

I think those are more expensive... lol
s0dhi
Brampton, ON

s0dhi

It can't be more expensive than paying a rental for the modem that doesn't work properly.
kovy7

kovy7

said by s0dhi:

It can't be more expensive than paying a rental for the modem that doesn't work properly.

those modems a more expensive then cellpipe... so watch out what you wish for...
s0dhi
Brampton, ON

s0dhi

said by kovy7:

said by s0dhi:

those modems a more expensive then cellpipe... so watch out what you wish for...

Is the rental rate higher than $8? If so, what is it?
kovy7

kovy7

said by s0dhi:

Is the rental rate higher than $8? If so, what is it?

I don't know since now Bell uses one time charge for it's customer, but it was 20$ to change from Cellpipe for Sagemcom or something like that.
chex383
join:2003-03-13
Victoria, BC

chex383 to chrisl83

to chrisl83
Excuse me? why should I be livid? It took me a couple of weeks to even notice there was a problem, and longer still to narrow it down to this thread here that there is a widespread problem. This is not a show-shopping drop-dead issue stopping people from using their connection, its a annoyance, or slightly worse, depending on how people use their connection.

Chill.
said by chrisl83:

wouldn't the best thing for bell to do is drop the modem rental fee until it's fixed or something?. Glad I'm on cable or I'd be livid.

lleader
join:2011-01-01
Mississauga, ON

lleader

said by chex383:

This is not a show-shopping drop-dead issue stopping people from using their connection, its a annoyance, or slightly worse, depending on how people use their connection.

Chill.

+1
s0dhi
Brampton, ON

s0dhi to chex383

to chex383
chex383 - stay chilled, dude.

Since I work from home, this has a big impact on me and includes dropping out of conference calls and failed large file transfers. I have a right to be annoyed if I am not getting adequate service.
chex383
Victoria, BC

chex383

OK, that's true, you do have a point there. But I will say that you could also be adversely impacted by some other kind of 'creeping' impact to your line, say noise on your POTS line causing disconnects, and would take at least a few days for Bell to sort out the issue, if not longer. Generally I would say if you work at home and are RELIANT on your connection to be almost 5-9's, drop-dead reliable, you should have a backup internet connection at your place, such as cable or wireless internet. I know if I worked from home as a I/T worker, I probably would.

regards, Stefan
said by s0dhi:

chex383 - stay chilled, dude.

Since I work from home, this has a big impact on me and includes dropping out of conference calls and failed large file transfers. I have a right to be annoyed if I am not getting adequate service.

s0dhi
Brampton, ON

s0dhi

Sorry, I didn't mean to be harsh, Stefan.

I do have a Rogers' air card in my laptop and can initiate calls from it using Rogers' One Number as well. To your point if the connection went down and stayed down for an extended period, I'd cut over to the wireless connectivity. But when its a 3-5 minute interruption that can happen at any time, you end up at the mercy of the connection.

Kev

BTW, I've gone through every other bit of troubleshooting regarding the line, POTS, etc. and everything is clear of issue.
chex383
Victoria, BC

chex383

No worries man, I know some people here get really hot over these issues, so I can understand.

And yes, the flaky nature of this service problem make its more difficult.. it does seem to work fine, until it doesn't, and you cant predict if its going to be stable or not. again, I don't rely on this for the majority of my work, but if I was I can see it would be a difficult issue.

The fact that this is a new service-level for Teksavvy, the way we are trapped on a proprietary modem, makes it more difficult, to be sure. But this is the level of service that you can have with 'consumer' grade internet/telecom,which is to say is 'best-effort' service at $50-$70/month. In order to have a guaranteed level of service, you need to pay for business-class internet ($100/mo and up in Canada??) , and they would work a lot harder for you to solve a service issue like this.

Yes, I haven't checked my other stats as closely as yours, but I noticed this bouncing started happening as soon as I switched from routed to bridge mode on my CellPipe ( and I cant/dont want to switch back to routed mode because I have enabled IPV6 on my Tomato router.. ). so it clearly is an issue with the modem itself.

regards, Stefan
said by s0dhi:

Sorry, I didn't mean to be harsh, Stefan.

BTW, I've gone through every other bit of troubleshooting regarding the line, POTS, etc. and everything is clear of issue.

s0dhi
Brampton, ON

s0dhi

said by chex383:

But this is the level or service that you can have with 'consumer' grade internet/telecom. In order to have a guaranteed level of service, you need to pay for business-class internet, and they would work a lot harder for you to solve a service issue like this.

Sadly, I haven't been able to find business-class plans in ON for home offices.

For now, we sit tight. If I could drop $20 one-time to swap out to a Sagemcom, I'd do it in a second.
chex383
Victoria, BC

chex383

Wow, really?? I am actually from Boston, and there are all kinds of companies that will sell you resold bonded SDSL, bonded T1's, or even cable internet with business-class SLA's, and at your residential homes, too. That really surprises me you cant find that in Ontario..
said by s0dhi:

Sadly, I haven't been able to find business-class plans in ON for home offices.

swiftex
join:2008-05-10
Toronto, ON
Asus RT-AC66
SmartRG SR505N

swiftex to JenSuisUn

to JenSuisUn
said by JenSuisUn:

Bell's update :

==========
==========

Martin,

In the interim get Bell to send you a copy of this firmware;

v1.0.4.3EF-STINGER

May need a tool to flash the unit. Not sure if the unit is set-up in the menu to allow a firmware flash.

Anyone that can check cell-pipe menu and let us know?

Too much of a pita due to me moving recently.

Phibian
join:2009-06-01
Ottawa, ON

Phibian

There are no firmware flashing options in the menus.
swiftex
join:2008-05-10
Toronto, ON

swiftex

said by Phibian:

There are no firmware flashing options in the menus.

Thanks P!
Bhruic
join:2002-11-27
Toronto, ON

Bhruic to JenSuisUn

to JenSuisUn
said by JenSuisUn:

Bell's update :

==========
==========

Do they have anything in place to give you upgrades on any progress? Weekly reports? Anything? Or is it simply going to be a case of us not hearing anything until they decide to throw us a bone?

PunkChildP
Premium Member
join:2009-09-28
Chatham, ON

PunkChildP

Premium Member

said by Bhruic:

said by JenSuisUn:

Bell's update :

==========
==========

Do they have anything in place to give you upgrades on any progress? Weekly reports? Anything? Or is it simply going to be a case of us not hearing anything until they decide to throw us a bone?

We followed up today but have not received an e-mail back about it yet. We will be following up in the morning for an update.

Thanks,
Paul

Phibian
Ottawa, ON

Phibian

So Paul where are we at?

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

Still waiting on a response from Bell.

Phibian
Ottawa, ON

Phibian

Any chance of an update today Martin?

You might be interested in reading the stuff about the Zyxel modems too. Marc might be interested as well if he hasn't already seen it.
s0dhi
Brampton, ON

s0dhi

said by Phibian:

You might be interested in reading the stuff about the Zyxel modems too. Marc might be interested as well if he hasn't already seen it.

Yeah, Martin...

Since we're paying a rental, how about trying to find us a modem that works as expected?
Roop
join:2003-11-15
Ottawa, ON

Roop

said by s0dhi:

said by Phibian:

Yeah, Martin...

Since we're paying a rental, how about trying to find us a modem that works as expected?

i'm really not happy with teksavvy's response to this issue leaving us to find out own solutions.

i'm having to abscond with a sagemcom from a real bell service.

phibian is having to pay $100+ for a third party modem *on top* of the $8/mo modem rental fee.

most other have no options and are stuck with terrible service.

TSI Martin, it's been months. At this point I do not want to hear "we're working with bell" I want to hear about some options. you know what the problem is, please do something and fix it.