Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

4 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Ontario IISPs Price Plan Comparison Spreadsheet

This spreadsheet includes service plans of all of the Independent CABLE ISPs which I have noticed so far for Ontario :

»docs.google.com/spreadsh ··· 5b2ZWOGc

Also included are a few of the better known DSL IISPs, for quick comparison, but the DSL listings are not meant to be complete, as there are just too many IISPs offering DSL to follow all of them.
Davesnothere

4 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Re: Ontario Cable IISPs

Comments are welcome, and if anyone feels that I have left out any DSL IISP who is well-established, offers good deals and good service, and offers this to the whole province (not just a small region), we could add a few more of those.

However, I am most interested in adding any Cable IISPs which I might have have missed, or which come along, and who also have current rate pages on their websites for that service.
Davesnothere

4 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Over the weekend, I plan to include Rogers and Cogeco in the S/S, as the point is to not have to 'goto' as many websites.

This will only include their 'OPEN' (no contract, no bundle, no promo) rates, but it will at least offer SOME costing perspective to shoppers.

EDIT : Rogers and Cogeco have now been added, including this week's announced Speed Increases on Rogers' plans, and Rogers' March 1st price hikes, all found on their website's rate page comparison table.

Cogeco's UP channel speeds are included, direct tonight from a tech support rep, as they do not seem to be published anywhere on their website.

pstewart
Premium Member
join:2005-10-12
Peterborough, ON

pstewart to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere

Re: Ontario Cable TPIA Providers

said by Davesnothere:

These are the Cable TPIA Providers I have noticed so far for Ontario :

TSI
Acanac
Distributel
Velcom
ikTel
Nexicom

Are there others I have missed ?

We (Nexicom) are not a TPIA cable provider, but thanks for thinking of us

Bancroft, Bridgenorth, Keene, Lakefield and Millbrook for Cable TV of which Lakefield and Bridgenorth are Cable Modem equipped.
pallo
join:2011-12-01
canada

pallo to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
Yeah, there's also Vianet who mostly covers shaw/cogeco/eastlink territory and Falcon (possibly a reseller of a TPIA wholesaler).

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to Davesnothere

Anon

to Davesnothere
From what I understand Both Acanac and Velcom are not TPIA providers, thus they shouldn't be listed.

From my understanding, Velcom resells TSI, and Acanac resells distributel.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

Acanac doesn't resell distributel, they're owned by distributel.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm

Anon

said by Guspaz:

Acanac doesn't resell distributel, they're owned by distributel.

Yeah. But I mean they operate under a diff name, but it's all distributel cable.

So for all intent and purposes, Acanac resells distributel TPIA under a different name.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Since we are being picky, I will broaden the 'Bandwidth' of the question.

[Dave figures out yet another way to abuse a term.]

ANY Independent ISP offering Cable Internet in Ontario will be OK.

I will probably also mention Rogers, Cogeco, Shaw, and Eastlink, but may or may not do detailed captures of their rate plans.

LMGTFY
@cgocable.net

LMGTFY

Anon

»www.canadianisp.ca/

Canaca
Premium Member
join:2007-03-05
Mississauga, ON

Canaca to hm

Premium Member

to hm
Like it was mentioned above we are owned by Distributel however we do offer different service plans and we operate independently. We are not just a different name offering the same service.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to LMGTFY

Premium Member

to LMGTFY
said by LMGTFY :

»www.canadianisp.ca/

Thanks.

I'll check there again, but that site has had a lot of outdated info on other visits I've made.
Davesnothere

4 edits

Davesnothere to Canaca

Premium Member

to Canaca
said by Canaca:

Like it was mentioned above we are owned by Distributel however we do offer different service plans and we operate independently. We are not just a different name offering the same service.

I have noticed that too.

My research for this project has not missed Acanac, though we DO 'miss' your updated website rate page for Cable service, complete with the removal (or changed to proper use) of the term 'Bandwidth' to not be associated with monthly usage on your site in general, as you posted to me here that you would do at the same time.

Fortunately I knew where to look in the forums for your Cable info (but not everyone does).

BTW, I am available to edit/compose web pages, and other tech job descriptions, at reasonable rates of pay.

Canaca
Premium Member
join:2007-03-05
Mississauga, ON

Canaca

Premium Member

Fixed on the DSL Page and will be updated on the rest of the site shortly. As for the Cable pricing update on the Website we are waiting for our new DOCSIS 3 modems to arrive. If they don't arrive soon enough we may just have to launch with the Thomson units.

Our goal within the next few weeks is to be a fully DOCSIS 3 ISP.

As for your offer to compose Web Pages how good is your French? We are looking for a full translation.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

2 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by Canaca:

Fixed on the DSL Page and will be updated on the rest of the site shortly. As for the Cable pricing update on the Website we are waiting for our new DOCSIS 3 modems to arrive. If they don't arrive soon enough we may just have to launch with the Thomson units.

Our goal within the next few weeks is to be a fully DOCSIS 3 ISP.

As for your offer to compose Web Pages how good is your French? We are looking for a full translation.

Your .CA site must be a mirror of the .COM site, and the DNS has not caught up ?

.COM is changed , but .CA still shows the BW Usage in the Overview column on DSL page.

Thanks for doing that tweak.
Davesnothere

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Re: Ontario Cable IISPs

Any comments about Falcon ?

»www.falconnet.ca/service ··· nternet/

Some believe them to be a TSI reseller, as in below link.

»Re: New DSL and CABLE price comparison Quebec starting february

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

1 edit

JC_

Premium Member

From what I've noticed TekSavvy and Distributel are the only actual TPIA providers in Ontario, everyone else is most likely a reseller/wholesaler of those two.

EDIT: TPIA of Rogers cable internet.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by JC_:

From what I've noticed TekSavvy and Distributel are the only actual TPIA providers in Ontario, everyone else is most likely a reseller/wholesaler of those two.

Of Rogers, you must mean, as ikTel is in bed with Cogeco in the Niagara region (and TSI is also, but only in Chatham).

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by Davesnothere:

said by JC_:

Of Rogers, you must mean, as ikTel is in bed with Cogeco in the Niagara region (and TSI is also, but only in Chatham).

Yea, I edited my post to say that.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

OK, I have just now added a link to an online spreadsheet into the first post, along with an explanation of its purpose.

Cheers !

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
Acanac/3Web/Distributel/whatever also operate some TPIA on Cogeco, or so I've heard, up in Halton Region and in Windsor.

There's also another TPIA provider on Cogeco in Windsor. The name escapes me. For all I know, they could be reselling Acanawebtel.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Re: Ontario IISPs Price Plan Comparison Spreadsheet

The just-announced March Bell Fee Waives have not yet been deducted, regarding main setup and monthly dry loops.

And so far, only Acanac & Velcom have formally stated how they plan to go on that.

Acanac said that they will waive main setup fees for 12 & 16 Mb DSL new installs and DSL upgrades from lower speeds (they have no 25 plan yet), and will also waive 24 months of dry loop monthly fees on all new dry loop installs of any DSL speed, if done during March.

I will likely make updates to the S/S when a couple more IISPs post what their changes will be for March.

Or I may just post them here.