spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

WVDude

@atlanticbb.net

[Wireless] Wireless Bridge

I am trying to add network connectivity to a room in my house without it. I have some old hardware laying around that I would like to attempt to do this with. Here is the hardware I have main router attached to cable modem is a Linksys E3200, I have an old Linksys WRT54GS and a Trendnet TEW-637AP. My plan is to turn the WRT54GS into an access point and use the Trendnet as a bridge to feed a switch in the room that will then feed my devices. Problem is the trendnet requires that both the access point and itself be running WDS in order for its bridge function to work. So my question...with the WRT54GS support WDS in access point mode?

Thanks!

lordfly

join:2000-10-12
Homestead, FL
Reviews:
·SkyNet360
I would suggest getting the WET200. We have many in use at work and I have one at home to extend the network into my living room. I stream Netflix with no problems.

The one cool thing, is that they only need the SSID and passphrase of the AP to bridge. No MAC address, and no hardware compatibility problems.

WVDude

@atlanticbb.net
I'm sure that would be easier, I was just trying to avoid spending money when I already have hardware laying around that might do the trick.

lordfly

join:2000-10-12
Homestead, FL
Reviews:
·SkyNet360
I tried to do that with an old Belkin router that supposedly could be turned into a wireless bridge. I got thwarted when it seemed it would only connect to another Belkin.

The beauty of the WET200 is that it does not discriminate.

It took me a while to buy it. I ran a very long network cable for a while.

WVDude

@atlanticbb.net
LOL, I hear that, I spent half my day at work messing with a belkin router that supposedly can act as an access point with a few clicks. That was not at all the case. What a waste of technology. Well I'm gonna give it a try anyway just for the education if nothing else. Thanks for the posts!