MVM
join:2003-07-15
Gallifrey

1 edit

Sweet Witch

MVM

[Parts Check] Video or no?

Hi Guys,

I like this mb but can't tell about the video.

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 13157271

It has the ports but the details say no onboard video chipset. How does this work?

The rest:

i5
»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 19115074

ram
»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 20226178

I already have the rest of the parts - SATA hds, SATA dvdrw, power supply, case, etc.

I'll mainly be doing photo editing but I figure I'd just get a decent machine that will last several years.

FizzyMyNizzy
join:2004-05-29
New York, NY

FizzyMyNizzy

Scroll down for more details =D

Sweet Witch
Be the flame, not the moth.
MVM
Gallifrey

Sweet Witch

MVM

I edited to add the rest.

FizzyMyNizzy
New York, NY

FizzyMyNizzy

»ark.intel.com/products/52207
Processor Graphics IntelĀ® HD Graphics 2000

Sweet Witch
MVM
Gallifrey

Sweet Witch

MVM

Ok, so no extra video card "needed" for now?

And what do you think about the retail heatsink/fan?

FizzyMyNizzy
New York, NY

FizzyMyNizzy

If you are not going to play any games.. Just videos.. Yea, that build in video card should be fine.

If you are not going to overclock. The retail HSF should be fine.

Sweet Witch
MVM
Gallifrey

Sweet Witch

MVM

Thanks

So this is a good basic build that will carry me for the next few years?

FizzyMyNizzy
New York, NY

FizzyMyNizzy

as for the ram you should just get DDR3 1333

Sweet Witch
MVM
Gallifrey

Sweet Witch

MVM

I already have that, got it on sale.

FizzyMyNizzy
New York, NY

FizzyMyNizzy

ok.

Not sure do you want to get the i5-2500k instead, you get more speed, a better gpu, and you could overclock it.

»ark.intel.com/products/5 ··· _30-GHz)

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· %202500k

Sweet Witch
MVM
Gallifrey

Sweet Witch

MVM

I might. Just did a power supply calculator and it claims 501w. I know the core is 95w, but how can one optical and one SATA hd raise it that much?

FizzyMyNizzy
New York, NY

FizzyMyNizzy

Shouldn't it be around 230watts - 265watts..

Physical CPU is 1.. not 4.

Sweet Witch
MVM
Gallifrey

Sweet Witch

MVM

Ok, I read it wrong

asdfdfdfdfdf
@myvzw.com

asdfdfdfdfdf to Sweet Witch

Anon

to Sweet Witch
The reason they say that is because the motherboard has no integrated graphics chipset.

The integrated graphics are part of the cpu with these, provided you are using a chipset that supports it, such as the z68.

Sweet Witch
MVM
Gallifrey

Sweet Witch

MVM

So, will these work?

asdfdfdfdfdf
@myvzw.com

asdfdfdfdfdf

Anon

yes, the 3 items linked to in your first post should work together and provide you with the cpu's integrated graphics.

Sweet Witch
MVM
Gallifrey

Sweet Witch

MVM

Good, thanks

Ben
Premium Member
join:2007-06-17
Fort Worth, TX

Ben to Sweet Witch

Premium Member

to Sweet Witch
     Regardless of one's needs, I never recommend onboard/integrated video, unless it has it's own RAM (which I've only seen on a few motherboards intended for server use).

Awhile ago, both Intel and AMD decided to switch over to using an integrated memory controller on the CPU.  While ultimately better for performance, it's really bad for integrated video (that uses system RAM) because now it has to "cross" the CPU to get to the RAM, hurting performance all around.

That and well, it uses your system RAM, leaving less available.

Even if your video needs are very modest, get a regular video card.  Even a cheap video card with it's own RAM that's not integrated is better than integrated.

Sweet Witch
MVM
Gallifrey

Sweet Witch

MVM

I can't afford a video card right now on top of the new hardware. I only have AGP cards on hand so that will have to wait for a bit.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

1 edit

BlitzenZeus to Ben

Premium Member

to Ben
You have to spend generally over $100 to beat the performance of an onboard intel gpu, otherwise it will perform worse. This wasn't a secondary thought, they knew they had to keep up with at least basic performance, and can even run some games decently. Ram is generally cheaper than a video card, if you feel it's necessary bump yourself up to 8GB, but these onboard gpus don't tend to use more than 512 to my knowledge.

The onboard on the amd boards/processors is similar also, but their onboards vary more than the intels do, either way, old gaming cards are generally becoming the equvalent of more recent onboard video. If you don't need gaming performance onboard is still more cost effective even if you upgrade the ram.

I should also add the way the intel cpu/gpu processes video editing it's far faster than your standard dedicated video card, without reading exactly how it does it again, the reasoning for it is because it shares the same bus as the cpu.

Sweet Witch
MVM
Gallifrey

Sweet Witch

MVM

I've got 2x4gb ram already. Enough?
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

For the average user that is more than enough, and gives you room for extra. For what the prices are now might as well go 8GB.

asdfdfdfdfdf
@myvzw.com

asdfdfdfdfdf to Sweet Witch

Anon

to Sweet Witch
I've got 2x4gb ram already. Enough?

yes

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

pnjunction to Sweet Witch

Premium Member

to Sweet Witch
The video on these Sandy Bridge CPUs (2xxx series) is decent for non-gaming stuff.

My laptop has an older i5 540M that while it delivers good battery life (4+ hours on the 6-cell) leaves something to be desired for performance. Some of it is probably bad software but plain office-type tasks can have sluggish video performance at times.

On the other hand I built my HTPC with an i5-2300 and have the option to add a (half-height) video card. I haven't seen the need, it has handled everything I've thrown at it quite smoothly.