share rss forum feed
« OPT inGood Grief »
This is a sub-selection from Conflict of Interest

travisdh1

join:2007-10-20
Wooster, OH
reply to pende_tim

Re: Conflict of Interest

Want to be staggered? Do the math on how much data an OC-3 connection passes each year (quite a small isp really). 150MB x 60 seconds x 60 minutes x 24 hours x 365 days is around 4.7304 Petabytes. We'll just assume that they don't have to keep all the information pass over the wires and only need to keep records of which IP address connects to which IP address and the number gets all the way down to "I may only need half a rack of hard drives to store all this."

The additional cost for my internet connection doesn't sit well with me, let alone the privacy concern WHEN a hacker gets this information. Which brings me to the whole other topic of privacy with the government also holding the ISP responsible for securing this data because they know it will be stolen.

firephoto
We the people
Premium
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA
This is party why nearly all popular websites are based around collecting data about their users. They use this to make a profit and they also expand their services to include communications between their users which results in more data to analyze and collect. The gov't just needs to tap the business and rarely has to collect raw data on their own.

This isn't to say the raw data isn't being collected midstream, it's just that they sort of enable a distributed network to do the general analyzing before they focus on one target or group.
--
Say no to JAMS!