spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

YMS

@teksavvy.com

Where can I find the Motorola SB6121 (Firmware : 1.0.6.1) ??

Online sellers don't seem to know what the firmware version of their "new" modems are, so if I buy it online I run the risk of losing money in having it shipped back to them.

Future Shop, Bestbuy, Canada Computers.....nobody sells it. And I'm not interested in buying what TSI is selling (for the sake of convenience). I've had my SB5100 since they were released and it's just now dying on me. I'm very happy with the Motorola line; just can't seem to find one.

Anybody know where these are sold with a confirmed firmware version?

wonghoi

join:2009-06-30
Markham, ON
I bought mine from newegg.ca, but didn't confirm the fw.

How do I check the firmware that's loaded anyway?

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
reply to YMS
I thought cable modems had their firmwares uploaded from Rogers, hence no need to worry about the firmware version.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
said by alkizmo:

I thought cable modems had their firmwares uploaded from Rogers, hence no need to worry about the firmware version.

Rogers doesnt seem to want to do that anymore.
--
GO LEAFS GO!

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
Bought my SB6120 from TigerDirect.ca, and had the new firmware pushed to me, but that was back in September.

I'd think they should still be able to do it. We need some real big brute enforcers to send to the Rober's department that does the firmware push and twist some arms. Seriously. Theres no need of this "I don't wana" crap, from them.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
I think TekSavvy has to get themselves a CMTS, or some other equipment to load firmware into modems.

That way if you buy your modem elsewhere, you can send it in and they can flash it for you, then send it back for a modest shipping fee.
--
GO LEAFS GO!

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
Toronto, ON
said by HiVolt:

I think TekSavvy has to get themselves a CMTS, or some other equipment to load firmware into modems.

That way if you buy your modem elsewhere, you can send it in and they can flash it for you, then send it back for a modest shipping fee.

*If* Teksavvy was to get a CMTS unit to do that with, they would STILL have to get a contract/liscense with Motorola to use the firmware & subsequent modifications to operate on the Rober's network according to Rober's specs. I'm pretty sure, if this was a do-able proposition they'd be able to do it remotely from TSI HQ.

I'm sure no one would object to something like a $5 fee for a modem firmware flash to current supported working stable firmware build. I know I wouldn't mind if it was a one time fee to get an update flash.
--
You see there is only one constant. One universal. It is the only real truth. Causality. Action, reaction. Cause and effect.
-Motorola SB6120-1.0.6.1 + Netgear RangeMax WNDR3700v1 + Dupont POI + eXtreme Cable Pr0

Ott_Cable

@teksavvy.com
The modems can only be programmed locally at TSI if they get their own CMTS. They need RF connectivity to talk to the modems.

YMS

@teksavvy.com
reply to HiVolt
Yeah....

That's what a Teksavvy rep told me, so if I buy one it should have that firmware version because Robbers is "not pushing through the firmware update".

Even when I'm not with those a*sholes, they're still a pebble in my shoe.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to YMS
I still think they'd need a liscence to do it through Motorola.

Gimli
Premium
join:2006-01-03
l5a2o4
said by TwiztedZero:

Correct. The cable co. still reserves the right to manage all nodes on their network. Hence - only Rogers in the GTA can push FW to modems. Rogers says: All your modems is belong to us!!

YMS

@teksavvy.com
Well,

I found an internet company in the GTA that sells them but only if you switch to their service. Purchasing the modem alone is not an option.

I'd be subject to a $20 "setup fee" and then I'd have to cancel after one month, call Teksavvy and I'm sure they'd have another activation fee too.

Geez-a-lou!!!!

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2
reply to Gimli
said by Gimli:

said by TwiztedZero:

Correct. The cable co. still reserves the right to manage all nodes on their network. Hence - only Rogers in the GTA can push FW to modems. Rogers says: All your modems is belong to us!!

This is a standard procedure.

I sell a wireless CPE to a customer, they own it, but it has to connect to my network, so it will run the firmware I say.
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

YMS

@teksavvy.com
reply to YMS
Attention Teksavvy officials,

On the remote possibility that somebody of authority may actually be reading this, I have some feedback I'd like escalated to a higher authority. Well....not big guns upstairs, but....management.

I've been a CSR in an inbound call centre for about 10 years; manager for 2 years. I've dealt with the public, albeit American public, but I've dealt with the masses none the less.

I'm struggling to understand how is it that in today’s economic slowdown customers are limited in what hardware they're running? With everything being as bad as it is out there, I would think that you would offer your customers more choices; not less. Businesses are collapsing at an extremely high rate.

One poster suggested the DCM475, is more of a financially feasible solution from Teksavvy's side. Another poster suggested it was because Rogers is refusing to push through the firmware updates (which one of your reps told me as well).

Whatever the reason(s) are for the limitations on hardware, I think this is an amazing opportunity for Teksavvy to grow as an organization. Working in a call centre made me sick, and I'll tell you why. I had to listen to customers complain for 8+ hours a day about how they weren't being treated fairly. Then if that wasn't bad enough, we'd have meetings once a month about how we (the CSR's; the front line support) could improve customer satisfaction. So basically management would put forth guidelines which ultimately punished the loyal consumer, and we were expected to somehow magically make the customers smile? The hypocrisy was enough to make me choke; which is why I quit. And it's getting worse for Canadians, we continue to pay more....FOR LESS.

I think it goes without saying that everything comes down to the bottom line, and you're running a business. But ask yourselves : Why did customers switch from Robbers to Teksavvy? Because we were given a choice. A choice between being outrageously gouged and then having our internet throttled to boot! That's why we switched; because we had a choice. Customers like choices.

I think it's time for Teksavvy to go back to their roots and re-examine what they're offering and what they're willing to do to keep ahead of the game, before they go the way of the dinosaur. In the meantime, I guess I'm going to have to “settle” with a brand I'm not familiar/comfortable with, whereas I had my Motorola 5101 for about 8 years now and was very satisfied.

Great choice.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
reply to Ott_Cable
said by Ott_Cable :

The modems can only be programmed locally at TSI if they get their own CMTS. They need RF connectivity to talk to the modems.

Anybody who believes this needs to google haxorware. Now, understand, I'm not recommending running hacked firmware at all! However, the techniques they use can help you upgrade firmware versions too.

I have been working on this lately and I've been able to flash a SB6120 to 1.0.6.1. I've also been able to upgrade firmware on DCM425s. For the SB6120, it has to be an early version that still has the serial port location on the PCB inside (P/N 545100-001-00 has it for sure, P/N 545100-009-00 does not). Also, I haven't tested either on active accounts yet, but all indications are it will work perfectly. I should be able to upgrade later SB612x modems soon.

YMS

@teksavvy.com
I'm willing to pay up to $100 for a new SB6121 that will work on Teksavvy's network.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
said by YMS :

I'm willing to pay up to $100 for a new SB6121 that will work on Teksavvy's network.

That isn't really possible.. In most cases, to find out the firmware, you'd have to open the package. At that point it would no longer be "new". To update the firmware (without a CMTS), you'd have to open the case, thus voiding the warranty.

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

...There's a simple reason why they're not pushing firmwares to TSI modems...."liability".

I know that some of you here are old enough to remember that back in the day if you flashed a BIOS update (which in essence is a firmware update) to a motherboard and you screwed up anything, you essentially had a dead board...and unless you were really lucky and had an EPROM you could swap out of the board, it was toast...it didn't tell you "Hey, you might be flashing the wrong version here, stop now"...

Pushing the firmware to these modems basically does that old school thing...if ANYTHING screws up, who's responsibility is it? The customers? TSI? Rogers?...people would be pointing the finger at other people, TSI would blame Rogers, Rogers would blame TSI, Customer would blame TSI...TSI would have everything to lose....

Also, the only way that TSI gets a CMTS is to be physically on the Rogers network, so to have one on the cable plant somewhere would definitely not be in Chatham as that's Cogeco country...and I don't know how economical it would be to have one at 151 Front and then have to have someone go there to flash the modems?

Again, there's a reason why cable co's are the way they are...why do some modems work and others don't? Compatability? Who knows? I once had a motherboard that couldn't play Starcraft...kept crashing, blue screens all the time, changed video card, same deal, did Blizzard go and release an update to fix the problem? No...same deal here.

It's Rogers network...and as much as we'd all like to have Motorola modems, for the most part, Rogers has shyed away from that brand on the network with the D3 modems.

Why? I don't know. I'm sure only a few people at Rogers would be able to answer that question...but it just turned out it wasn't compatible with what they are doing.

Anywho, to get back on track, what if TSI flashes your modem and it bricks....they don't want that responsibility....and that's basically why its not being done I'm sure someone out there had this done and their modem bricked....someone probably not on DSLR but someone out there who had a TSI account and turned around and their modem was bad....as a result of this...sure it might have been 1 out of 10,000 but...still do you want to be that one?

Ott_Cable

@teksavvy.com
reply to Teddy Boom
It would be so easy if they printed stickers on the box with MAC address/Customer serial# along with the firmware rev on the box.
(I don't own one, so I won't know.)

Based on what I have seen on the web of what's inside: PN545101-011-00 (July 2008) has empty pads for serial console as well as footprint for a level converter. Looks like 50mil pitch connector to me.

The onboard Flash is a 8Mb SPI flash, so some 16-pin extra wide SOIC doohickey can be used to clamp on the pins to flash the part.

Ott_Cable

@teksavvy.com
reply to nitzguy
If you can guesstimate the failure rates to "upgrading" these modem, you can factor in the price to cover for a replacement.

At 1% failure rates for a $100 modem, means on average you need to have $1 per modem goes towards a pool for dead modems.

At $20 round trip for sending modems in the mail, add another $10 to $20 just for the labor, it can get costly quite quickly.

the cerberus

join:2007-10-16
Richmond Hill, ON
Running SB612X-1.0.5.0-SCM03-NOSH here just fine.
Bonded 4 channels down, 2 up.
They did a mass upgrade of the 6120s to 1.0.6.1 at one point, and never upgraded the 6121.
I purchased my 6121 directly from Teksavvy, I dont think the average user would know what firmware is on their modem, which is why I have a very hard time believing we actually need 1.0.6.1
Generally modem firmware takes a if its not broke dont fix it approach.
So maybe dont mention to the rep that its not 1.0.6.1....... and it should be just fine.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to nitzguy
said by nitzguy:

...There's a simple reason why they're not pushing firmwares to TSI modems...."liability".

Pushing the firmware to these modems basically does that old school thing...if ANYTHING screws up, who's responsibility is it? The customers? TSI? Rogers?...people would be pointing the finger at other people, TSI would blame Rogers, Rogers would blame TSI, Customer would blame TSI...TSI would have everything to lose....

Thats a lame excuse. Rogers pushes firmware to their own customers' purchased modems all the time. If it breaks, they will never admit it and the customer has to buy another one, if its beyond warranty.

How are TPIA ISP's supposed to manage this then? Rogers upgrades their node, and all of a sudden thousands of modems are now useless, because Rogers won't push an upgrade to them? Or a customer with a currently working modem wishes to move to another TPIA ISP, and Rogers will not provision that modem because the firmware is out of date?

This garbage has to be sorted out.
--
GO LEAFS GO!

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to the cerberus
said by the cerberus:

Running SB612X-1.0.5.0-SCM03-NOSH here just fine.
Bonded 4 channels down, 2 up.
They did a mass upgrade of the 6120s to 1.0.6.1 at one point, and never upgraded the 6121.
I purchased my 6121 directly from Teksavvy, I dont think the average user would know what firmware is on their modem, which is why I have a very hard time believing we actually need 1.0.6.1
Generally modem firmware takes a if its not broke dont fix it approach.
So maybe dont mention to the rep that its not 1.0.6.1....... and it should be just fine.

Wishes I had 2 upstream channels.
is still stuck with 16QAM
--
You see there is only one constant. One universal. It is the only real truth. Causality. Action, reaction. Cause and effect.
-Motorola SB6120-1.0.6.1 + Netgear RangeMax WNDR3700v1 + Dupont POI + eXtreme Cable Pr0

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

said by nitzguy:

Thats a lame excuse. Rogers pushes firmware to their own customers' purchased modems all the time. If it breaks, they will never admit it and the customer has to buy another one, if its beyond warranty.

How are TPIA ISP's supposed to manage this then? Rogers upgrades their node, and all of a sudden thousands of modems are now useless, because Rogers won't push an upgrade to them? Or a customer with a currently working modem wishes to move to another TPIA ISP, and Rogers will not provision that modem because the firmware is out of date?

This garbage has to be sorted out.

I'm pretty sure if it happens to a Rogers sub that Rogers will cover it...more than likely because the modem was purchased from Rogers that it has the proper firmware to begin with and is on the approved modem list...hence why they were using the SMCs at the beginning...

....There was probably a reason why Rogers didn't have the SB6120 on the list to begin with....there was probably an incompatability, and they tried the SMC and it worked so Rogers was like, great it works, lets go with them.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
said by nitzguy:

I'm pretty sure if it happens to a Rogers sub that Rogers will cover it...more than likely because the modem was purchased from Rogers that it has the proper firmware to begin with and is on the approved modem list...hence why they were using the SMCs at the beginning...

....There was probably a reason why Rogers didn't have the SB6120 on the list to begin with....there was probably an incompatability, and they tried the SMC and it worked so Rogers was like, great it works, lets go with them.

LOL, if the modem is dead after firmware upgrade, how is the user, especially a sheep like most Rogers customers gonna know that Rogers pushed and upgrade and it failed? They'll call tech support, the guy on the phone will say, I cant see your modem online, they will send a tech, a tech will show up and check with a working modem, and if you're NOT renting, they'll tell you to buy a new modem or start renting one.

And the reason they got the SMC's, is because they got a helluva deal on them. Someone with Rogers info said that on the forums long time ago.
--
GO LEAFS GO!

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
reply to YMS
Well, anywho, what is happening with Rogers is quite great for Quebec.

I got myself a SB6120 for 50$ shipped from Ontario. Reason it's so cheap? Marked as "Cannot be used with Rogers".

HA! Half priced modem, booya!

Thanks Rogers for creating loads of modems for Quebec to buy.

YMS

@teksavvy.com
God I hate Rogers.

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
reply to YMS
Bought my SB6120 off ebay for $100 from a seller in T.O, not sure if firmware was already at 1.0.6.1 or was updated when I connected it but thats what its running...

YMS

@teksavvy.com
reply to YMS
I'm just wondering if anybody knows what the firmware history is for the SB6121? I'm looking for a chronological list (with dates). I might chance it and buy one online if I am confident when the shipment came in from Motorola to whoever's selling it to me. If not, I'm hoping that if I get a hold of the serial #, Motorola may be able to verify the firmware version installed on it.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
Toronto, ON

Lamb stew: Much ado about mutton.

I don't see how a history of the SB6120's on the rogers network will help all that much. What works today, is gone tomorrow seemingly at rogers whim & fancy.

Right now the SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.1-SCM00-NOSH appears stable. Sure we're getting T3 and T4 timeouts occassionally its not a dealbreaker yet. Even if you throw in some of the DHCP annoyances of late. The SB6120 has been around for nearly a decade now and has allready verged on the End of Life (EOL) phase in its existence it seems, since rogers is moving to an 8 bonded channel model, at least on the downstream anyways. So that kind of put the kibosh on the SB6121's too for the eastern Canada market. *sigh*

While rogers's Cisco cable modem termination systems (CMTS) may be similar to equipment used on other ISP's out in the world, they are likely using a proprietiary vendor-specific information field (VSIF) on their CMTS units within the rogers communications networks, which I'm sure is part of the reasons they use a specific firmware type and match them up with compatible modems that will work within their proprietiary self healing network.

There are many such fields and parameters set on a CMTS so it might be one such reason they're headstrong about certain firmware builds being used by the customers they serve on the last mile for TPIA's as well as their own customers.

Then theres the liscencing, modem testing, and contractual obligations they also have to uphold with their firmware providers that encode each build they push out when it is available. Such things may have to do with the Modem vendors, MTO's or whatever.

Remember its a business, and like any business rogers likes to save money by cutting corners, wheeling & dealing hence so many customers on the rogers network got stuck with the SMC units, remember that?

I'm ever hopeful though, that we'll one day be able to use a newer Motorola SURFboard branded modem, something like say the SB6180 capable of up to 8 downstream channels and 4 upstream channels which isn't too shoddy. Who knows might happen, might not. Many agree the Motorola's have been strong and stable boxes and yes we'd love a crack at a new model.

I guess for that to happen, research would have to be done, and rogers of course wants to get paid to test them to see if they'll be compatible in their market. I understand that proccess isn't cheap, nor will rogers just point blank let any machine that qualifies onto the network as they have a whole provisioning system and CMTS configuration they would have to work out to accomodate such a major endeavour.

I know, its like the cards are stacked in rogers favour. They are actually. Sadly so, we can hope, we can pray, we can pester them into oblivion, until we're blue in the face and cross eyed.

I'm just rambling on here, yippin & yappin outa muh butt. Don't know why, don't care. I just want a working intarwebs like the next bloke. :P
--