share rss forum feed

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3

1 edit

Avast 7 installs Chrome

I might have missed a screen, but I don't think I did. I got a prompt to update Avast. I didn't see anything mentioning chrome, or agreeing to install Chrome. Now I already had it installed on this machine, but the reinstall wiped out the current chrome profile, even adding a new chrome icon to the desktop which I always delete.

Chrome is not the default browser, but when I clicked on a learn more link about one of it's features it launched chrome, not the default browser.

This is a system wide Chrome install, it's actually installed to the Program files, and not just the users directory.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent out necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

ITICharlie1
Premium
join:2003-01-22
St. Louis MO

1 edit
After the reboot required after install it come ups with a box which has install Chrome checked off.
--
Don't let my reality hinder your imagination!

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
I saw a flash of a screen after the restart, but it went away before I could interact with it. I briefly saw Avast 7 on it, and then it was gone.

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA
kudos:8
reply to BlitzenZeus
If you missed the check box, just uninstall chrome.

Us regular "avasters" were forewarned.
--
Printed on 100% Recycled Bytes

hayc59
Im Your Huckleberry
Premium
join:2001-02-26
David R.I.P.
kudos:21

1 recommendation

said by jadinolf:

Yes indeed

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium
Ojai, CA

1 recommendation

You are sooooooooooooooooooooo smart.
--
Expand your moderator at work

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to jadinolf

Re: Avast 7 installs Chrome

said by jadinolf:

What do you mean "forewarned"? Avast announced that Chrome would be a FORCED install? And that it would mess with your Chr0me profile if you already had Chrome? I'm asking because I will be gettng a new computer soon and, as most of you know, I will be leaving Avira for good at that time. I was thinking of installing Avast (after getting rid of either Trend Micro or McAfee that will be on it) but I don't want Chrome installed. So, how does one avoid the experience BlitzenZeus reports?
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

mark5019
Premium
join:2002-03-30
Atlanta, GA
after the reboot it asks yo and didnt disapear for me gave plenty of time

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium
join:2005-01-16
WA, USA
kudos:4
Yup, I just did a new Avast Free install recently (win7x64) and it had the "normal" checkbox screen to opt-out.

IDK why his didn't show it.
--

My 9/11 Tribute..online since 9/14/01
Need an Avatar? Check out Wafen's Avatar Pages

Sentinel
Premium
join:2001-02-07
Florida
kudos:2
Agreed. I just did update via internal updater and upon reboot it popped up a screen asking if I wanted to join the community and if I wanted to install chrome. I unchecked both and install completed. No problems ... so far.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to BlitzenZeus
I would be absolutely livid.

This is a BIG install. It's not like putting on some toolbar....

Aside from anything else, WHY would they design it to install Chrome if you ALREADY had it? That is definitely a violation of accepted practice.

CCat
We're all quite mad here
Premium,MVM
join:2005-12-06
Wonderland
kudos:19
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

said by PX Eliezer70:

WHY would they design it to install Chrome

$$$
--
I Live In My Own World, But It's OK.....They Know Me There.

drew
Radiant
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6
reply to PX Eliezer70
said by PX Eliezer70:

Remember the intended audience of things like avast! ... making them install something other than IE makes the AV product seem so much more effective when they aren't getting drive-bys due to using a better browser...
--
flickr | Of faith, power and glory

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big
said by drew:

said by PX Eliezer70:

Remember the intended audience of things like avast! ... making them install something other than IE makes the AV product seem so much more effective when they aren't getting drive-bys due to using a better browser...

I consider installing a whole browser pretty much a drive-by no matter which one it is.

drew
Radiant
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
Remember - they are prompting the user. It's opt-out instead of opt-in, but it's not hidden.
--
flickr | Of faith, power and glory

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium
Ojai, CA
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

said by jadinolf:

What do you mean "forewarned"? Avast announced that Chrome would be a FORCED install? And that it would mess with your Chr0me profile if you already had Chrome? I'm asking because I will be gettng a new computer soon and, as most of you know, I will be leaving Avira for good at that time. I was thinking of installing Avast (after getting rid of either Trend Micro or McAfee that will be on it) but I don't want Chrome installed. So, how does one avoid the experience BlitzenZeus reports?

There was a warning on the avast! forum.

If you don't go there, there is no way you could have known.
--

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX
reply to BlitzenZeus
FYI if you signin to chrome by clicking the wrench icon then looking down about halfway down the menu your browser settings, bookmarks and what not get sycned to google so you won't have to worry about loosing anything.

andyo

join:2011-06-30

1 edit
reply to BlitzenZeus
I just upgraded from Avast's UI, and after reboot I got for a few seconds the Avast install window with "community features" or some such checked (I had it disabled before), and nothing about chrome. Before I could uncheck it the window changed to "upgrading" and then community features were enabled, reputation services had been checked, and Chrome had been installed system-wide over my beta-Chrome, and when opened I was told my profile couldn't be used cause it was for a "newer version". But the most annoying thing is that system-wide Chrome install breaks the Start menu shortcuts for opening in private mode.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium

1 recommendation

reply to mark5019
No it didn't, the screen just flashed for me, I was given no chance to uncheck anything.

Either way it didn't stay up long enough for me to even read it, and they were not up front about this at the beginning of the update.

Also yes the damage to the chrome profile was annoying, extensions gone, and profile settings reset. This is however Google's fault. How stupid can they be that a reinstall would damage your profile? It's not my main browser, it's just an annoyance.

I had wondered why it was taking so long for the installation to complete, it was because they were loading extra software on my computer. I only got clued in on what it was doing when new chrome shortcut appeared on my desktop. They need to clearly define all of the installation options at the beginning, not sneak them in at the end.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent out necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

hayc59
Im Your Huckleberry
Premium
David R.I.P.
reply to BlitzenZeus
here is thread @ avast forum where
others are very unhappy also
PLEASE post your concerns there as well
»forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=93980.0

p.s, I whole heartily agree its a bunch of CRAP
bundling Chrome with this install and glad I knew about it
and opted not for it!!

andyo

reply to jadinolf
Can you link to this warning, please? Can't find it over there.

GadgetsRme
RIP lilhurricane
Premium
join:2002-01-30
Canon City, CO
reply to BlitzenZeus
Well I managed to get it upgraded without the Chrome install but it trashed my ability to use Sandboxie ("it is a suspicious program") and HostsMan Server. I have HostsMan figured out but Sandboxie still doesn't load and run Firefox....GRRR.
--
Gadgets

hayc59
Im Your Huckleberry
Premium
David R.I.P.
reply to andyo
said by andyo:

Can you link to this warning, please? Can't find it over there.

**Done, I see Blitzen has posted in that thread

andyo

sorry, I was replying to jadinolf who said this »Re: Avast 7 installs Chrome

andyo

reply to BlitzenZeus
Just to be fair, I don't think this was a deliberate underhanded attempt like what happened with Avira, I think it looks more like a buggy installer.

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium
Ojai, CA
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
reply to andyo
said by andyo:

Sorry. I remember reading it but I don't think it was a separate post.

You would have to search the whole forum

»forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2.0
--

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium
Ojai, CA
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
reply to andyo
said by andyo:

Here's a little something.

»forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=···sg748844
--

GadgetsRme
RIP lilhurricane
Premium
join:2002-01-30
Canon City, CO
reply to GadgetsRme
said by GadgetsRme:

Well I managed to get it upgraded without the Chrome install but it trashed my ability to use Sandboxie ("it is a suspicious program") and HostsMan Server. I have HostsMan figured out but Sandboxie still doesn't load and run Firefox....GRRR.

It took a total uninstall/reinstall to get Sandboxie working again. A very unnecessary complication IMO.
--
Gadgets

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
kudos:2
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to BlitzenZeus
FWIW, I already have Chrome installed and have Avast Antivirus Pro.

When I updated, I did not get a box to check or uncheck for the installation of Chrome, just one for the Avast Community. This was using the Internal Updater.
--
PR is back in town