share rss forum feed

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18

1 recommendation

reply to jaykaykay

Re: A Family's Home Computer Gets Hacked

I don't claim to know it all either jaykaykay, but IMHO the following line does not make education :

quote:
Jim was able to hack into the computers belonging to Janice's family members by previously sending them an e-card. Once the family clicked on the link, he was able to remotely access their computers.
In the end, Joe KnowsEnoughAboutComputersToJustFollowWhatHe'sTold'll just go, "Oh, ecards, I don't
use those," and just merrily click on everything else. REAL education would be going into the
actual details of WHAT was done to 'hack' this computer. Maybe even a step by step visual guide
of the whole exploit. In this case, none of that is present, and simply exploits a victimized
family, a hot button topic and technical ignorance for the sake of higher ratings / sales / hits / etc
[/cynicism]

Just my 00000010bits.

Regards

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy

You are not wrong on your thoughts were that what the program was about. The computer issue was a side issue to initial program, sex offenders and young people. I really believe that if someone, such as Anderson Cooper, had a program involving computer security/privacy issues alone, many more might think about what they really do or don't do on the computer.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

Why is there no WRITTEN article? I see links to two different videos. I'm on my virtual machine and I have Flash Player installed on Fx on it (don't on my host machine) but I did not click on either link because I have zero interest in watching almost ANY video on a computer. That's what I do when I turn on my TV. On a computer, I want to READ. That guy should have written a well thought out article and have the video for those who like to take twice as much time to learn something. Reading is so much faster and you learn more too. Ahhh....welll.....
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7

1 edit

1 recommendation

downloadHow to Prote···nlin.zip 952,743 bytes
(How to Protect Yourself and Your Family from Sex Offenders Online.zip)
Then change them to audio only.

How to Protect Yourself and Your Family from Sex Offenders Online MP3
»www.listentoyoutube.com/download···LXsbWLas

»www.listentoyoutube.com/index.php
--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

I said I want to READ. Audio is even worse than watching a video. I am a reader. Audio is irritating and boring and takes way too long...video is the same.

I want to read an article at a website...not download a zip file, then have to scan it with my AV, then open it, etc. That is a lot of trouble just to read an article that I really don't care about in the first place. It sounds like just another scare mongering "for the sake of the children I am an idiot mother who never bothered to learn about the internet so I could protect my children properly" video/article/audio whatever, but I wanted to see for myself. I can skim it quickly to see if it is worth my time to read. I can't skim a video or audio. That is my point.

Further, I don't think my audio is working. I rarely use audio with my computer and I don't think it even works now.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Noah Vail
Son made my Avatar
Premium
join:2004-12-10
Lorton, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to Name Game

said by Name Game:

I can imagine that site as the edge of a pit of infringement violations.

I like it.
--
The Dark Tower's Skynet evolves from 4chan.

Noah Vail
Son made my Avatar
Premium
join:2004-12-10
Lorton, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

I said I want to READ. Audio is even worse than watching a video. I am a reader. Audio is irritating and boring and takes way too long...video is the same.

I can agree with you. If I'm looking to learn something, it won't be via podcast or video tutor.

(I'll avoid sites altogether if I've been exposed to their surprise autoplay videos.)

However:
My thought is that the YT2audio site could be good for audio tracks, that someone thought to improve through their own home-brewed video magic.
--
The Dark Tower's Skynet evolves from 4chan.

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20

I could convert the audio to text for ya..but that's too boring for me. I usually only read stuff like that when sitting on the can..go figure. Beside you got it all figured out for yourself anywho. I still listen to the radio and enjoy it. The other video..BTW is not worth just the audio, for if you don't see the action taking place..it is not understandable, as you must know from watching TV. A picture is worth a thousand words.
--
Gladiator Security Forum

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to Noah Vail

said by Noah Vail:

said by Name Game:

I can imagine that site as the edge of a pit of infringement violations.

I like it.

They make do..

»www.vidtomp3.com/
--
Gladiator Security Forum

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Mele's posts would be so much better if she attached a video of herself reading what she wrote. I hate reading.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

1 recommendation

Touché!