spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

A Tech

join:2008-11-10

Hughesnet Generation 4

Attended a webinar yesterday. New packages will be 20 megs down 5 megs up. Uses same dish as current Prodelin different feed support and one bolt for the TRIA as well as one wire.

more data with packages not less like excede.

All in all my impression was Gen 4 will be a serious improvement not a let down like excede.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

4 edits

Thanks. I'm using a 98cm Prodelin, Ku model 1985, but I doubt it will work for the upgrade. Pretty sure you're talking about the 98cm Prodelin Ka model 3980. Is it possible to be more specific about which 98cm Prodelin?

Sidebar: having recently witnessed the rampant speculation and mis-information in the tab next door (relative to the Wildblue-->Exede upgrade), I'm sincerely hopin' those who post to THIS thread will strive to "keep it real".

//greg//
--
HN7000S - 98cm Prodelin/2w "pure" Osiris - ProPlus - G16/1010H - NOC:GTN - NAT 67.142.115.130 - Gateway 66.82.25.10 - DNS 66.82.4.12 and 66.82.4.8 - Firefox 8/MSIE9 - AV/Firewalled by NIS2012

zeddlar

join:2007-04-09
Jay, OK

Agreed

Expand your moderator at work

chances14

join:2010-03-03
Michigan
reply to A Tech

Re: Hughesnet Generation 4

really curious what the caps are going to be

A Tech

join:2008-11-10
reply to grohgreg

The only dish addressed was the current prodelin used for residential installs.

waltham41
My ISP can beat up your ISP
Premium
join:2003-11-26
Fort Gibson, OK
reply to A Tech

Very interested to hear any news on bandwidth allowances for the new rig, and approximate prices.
--
"Win if you can, loose if you must, but always cheat." ...Jesse "The Body" Ventura

tgermon

join:2007-12-31
Vanceboro, NC
reply to A Tech

Hope hughesnet does not hype the new satellite way up and then drop the ball, with extremely low usage caps for the amount of speed they provide, like wildblue did.

WildblueUser

@wildblue.net
reply to A Tech

Hughesnet has a tremendous opportunity to gain customers away from Wildblue. Even if they offer just half the speed of Exede with Gen 4, but provide larger usage caps (or unlimited during off-prime hours), it is going to be a more viable than Exede.

I have Wildblue now, but there is no way I am locking into 2 more years with an Exede upgrade because of their ridiculously low caps.

I think people that want to upgrade to Exede now just need to wait. Competition is a good thing. Wait until the end of summer and see who offers the best satellite system in terms of price, performance and useability.

marsh_0x

join:2006-04-25
Tomahawk, WI

WildblueUser
Ditto, since I have both WB and HN contracts have been fulfilled sitting watching and waiting tho drifting towards Jupiter.
Watching closely if we do have a 5 free zone will be magic.

Nice to have a cellular tower to fill in the gaps, ouch being a hermit and wonder why ?

WildblueUser

@myvzw.com
reply to A Tech

Not an exact launch date has been publicly posted for the new Hughesnet bird (called by some Jupiter 1....or I have seen it called Spaceway 4).

It is going to be launched in French Guiana. I did find out an estimated launch date of April 2012, but I think that is a little optimistic. Another rumorerd launch date is June 4th.

A launch date should be officially released very soon I would think. Then a month or so to position it, followed by another month or so of testing. If all goes well, Gen 4 could be a real possibility by September of this year.

Pakapab
Premium
join:2002-03-17
Cap Haitien
Reviews:
·Natcom Haiti

said by WildblueUser :

Not an exact launch date has been publicly posted for the new Hughesnet bird (called by some Jupiter 1....or I have seen it called Spaceway 4).

It is going to be launched in French Guiana. I did find out an estimated launch date of April 2012, but I think that is a little optimistic. Another rumorerd launch date is June 4th.

A launch date should be officially released very soon I would think. Then a month or so to position it, followed by another month or so of testing. If all goes well, Gen 4 could be a real possibility by September of this year.

I dont see it scheduled....???!

»spaceflightnow.com/tracking/

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa
kudos:5

said by Pakapab:

I dont see it scheduled....???!

»spaceflightnow.com/tracking/

That's the problem - it hasn't been scheduled. You can find it here in the ??? section at the bottom: »www.satelliteonthenet.co.uk/inde···schedule

and here, as "middle of the year": »www.satlaunch.net/p/launch-sched···012.html

and here, as april ??: »www2.jpl.nasa.gov/calendar/calendar.html
--
Motosat self-pointing dishes: 1.2-meter XF-3 on 127W, .74 meter G74 on 127W, SL-5 HD DirecTV|idirect 3100|Hughes HN7000S|Verizon UMW190 Air Card|1990 Blue Bird Wanderlodge Bus "Blue Thunder"|Author of hnFAP-Alert, PC-OPI and DSSatTool

zeddlar

Jay, OK
Reviews:
·exede by ViaSat
·McDonald County ..

It was originally listed as an April launch on flysat's website too, but after they changed their website it showed as mid or summer 2012. Also they had a listing for spaceway 5 and 6 on there as well in 2013 and 2015 but they are gone now.
--
HughesNet elite plan/.74 dish w/1watt trans. / 9000 modem / 3 computers on a linksy's wired network

One More Too

join:2010-09-09
Galena, IL

said by zeddlar:

It was originally listed as an April launch on flysat's website too, but after they changed their website it showed as mid or summer 2012. Also they had a listing for spaceway 5 and 6 on there as well in 2013 and 2015 but they are gone now.

If the history with Spaceway III is any indication, I wouldn't be holding my breath in anticipation of getting the new Hughes service soon. Not only are launch delays likely, but, even after launch, it is likely that there will be delays resulting from testing, working out bugs, etc. Even after the bugs are worked out, it is likely that it will be some time before installations and service are available in all areas.

GW Gamer

@direcway.com
reply to A Tech

what about online gaming, will this new Gen 4 satellite give me lower ping times, right now its hard to play with ping times going from 2,000-10,000....

Pakapab
Premium
Cap Haitien
Reviews:
·Natcom Haiti

said by GW Gamer :

what about online gaming, will this new Gen 4 satellite give me lower ping times, right now its hard to play with ping times going from 2,000-10,000....

Nope!!

If it is satellite connectivity you need, then you gotta hold your breath and wait for O3b, even then, your still gonna look at like 200 - 250 ms pings.

zeddlar

Jay, OK
Reviews:
·exede by ViaSat
·McDonald County ..
reply to GW Gamer

One More Too,
Yeah, I know, I have been on HN/DW for many years. I do believe they will likely do better this time than they did with spaceway 3 due to technology and having done this before, but I am not holding my breath either, LOL.

GW Gamer,
Yes, ping times will improve at least for 2 or 3 years, depending on how loaded the satellite eventually gets before they get another one up there to share the load with Jupiter. I would say that you can probably expect pings under 800ms for the first year and pings under 900 for at least another year or more after that. Pings will also likely come back down on Spaceway 3 eventually due to HN moving customers from it to Jupiter.
--
HughesNet elite plan/.74 dish w/1watt trans. / 9000 modem / 3 computers on a linksy's wired network

Pakapab
Premium
Cap Haitien
Reviews:
·Natcom Haiti

said by zeddlar:

One More Too,
Yeah, I know, I have been on HN/DW for many years. I do believe they will likely do better this time than they did with spaceway 3 due to technology and having done this before, but I am not holding my breath either, LOL.

GW Gamer,
Yes, ping times will improve at least for 2 or 3 years, depending on how loaded the satellite eventually gets before they get another one up there to share the load with Jupiter. I would say that you can probably expect pings under 800ms for the first year and pings under 900 for at least another year or more after that. Pings will also likely come back down on Spaceway 3 eventually due to HN moving customers from it to Jupiter.

Speaking of server congestion, satellite link congestion, probably ping times will come down a bit, perhaps to what is "normal" for vast, (600-800 ms), but as I stated earlier, you won't see lower pings untill someone launches a large scale MEO constellation.

Ping times for iDirect & Spacenet commercial satellite systems are usually in the 600ms range quite consistently, not sure about ViaSat commercial. And even on the best of those, you don't get the necessary criteria for multiplayer games.
--
HN7000s ProPlus on a 1.2m dish, 1watt tx, sig-93 acp-82
Starband Nova 1500 on E9, on a 1.8m dish 2watt tx EbNo-11.2
Spacenet on Amc 6 ul/dl package 1024x1024 on a 1.2 m dish 4 watt tx EbNo-9.

zeddlar

Jay, OK
Reviews:
·exede by ViaSat
·McDonald County ..

Been playing EverQuest, EQ2 and WOW on Direcway and Hughesnet for 9 years now and when the satellites get a bit crowded like spaceway 3 is now then yes it amkes things not work or not work well in the least, but it has only been that bad for 4 or 5 months and just because of service upgrades and the fact that tons of 7000 users are switching and because another satellite company went belly up and HN offered their old customers a special deal to switch to HN. As soon as Jupiter fly's, I doubt anyone will ever see pings over 1000 consistantly again simply because of the large capacity of that satellite and the fact that more satellites like jupiter are planned soon enough to keep Jupiter from likely reaching capacity. And I am a former business customer of HN as well and I can tell you that even after my speeds went in the toilet on my old business system, it was still pinging under 900ms so HN commercial does very well too.

I almost upgraded back to a business acount but they were going to charge me another $600+ to do it and I decided that if I am going to shell out that kind of cash again, then I am going to wait and do it on Jupiter.

BTW, I will add that FPS and twitch games like that are unplayable on HN, but there are many mmorpg games that will work great on Jupiter.
--

Pakapab
Premium
Cap Haitien
Reviews:
·Natcom Haiti

said by zeddlar:

Been playing EverQuest, EQ2 and WOW on Direcway and Hughesnet for 9 years now and when the satellites get a bit crowded like spaceway 3 is now then yes it amkes things not work or not work well in the least, but it has only been that bad for 4 or 5 months and just because of service upgrades and the fact that tons of 7000 users are switching and because another satellite company went belly up and HN offered their old customers a special deal to switch to HN. As soon as Jupiter fly's, I doubt anyone will ever see pings over 1000 consistantly again simply because of the large capacity of that satellite and the fact that more satellites like jupiter are planned soon enough to keep Jupiter from likely reaching capacity. And I am a former business customer of HN as well and I can tell you that even after my speeds went in the toilet on my old business system, it was still pinging under 900ms so HN commercial does very well too.

I almost upgraded back to a business acount but they were going to charge me another $600+ to do it and I decided that if I am going to shell out that kind of cash again, then I am going to wait and do it on Jupiter.

BTW, I will add that FPS and twitch games like that are unplayable on HN, but there are many mmorpg games that will work great on Jupiter.

True, True.... Ive been able to play several mmo's, but it just is not the same.... that being said, I am happy to atleast play what is playable!!! like wow, eq2, and even metalstorm some times.
Still, HN commercial ping times around 900ms?? I wounder why that would be, as other competitors commercial offerings pings are consistently lower. At least the ones Ive dealt with. ... What s up with that?? Having low ping, even if your dl/ul speeds are lower actually speeds browsing etc up. My Spacenet 1meg by 1meg at work rocks!! pings average 600-625.... I ve even seen them as low as 480!!
--
HN7000s ProPlus on a 1.2m dish, 1watt tx, sig-93 acp-82
Starband Nova 1500 on E9, on a 1.8m dish 2watt tx EbNo-11.2
Spacenet on Amc 6 ul/dl package 1024x1024 on a 1.2 m dish 4 watt tx EbNo-9.

zeddlar

Jay, OK
Reviews:
·exede by ViaSat
·McDonald County ..

That was on the old KU system after it was starting to get badly crowded, My speeds dropped from 1.5 or 1.6 Mb/s which is what my plan speeds were, down to 250 to 300 Kb/s most of the day before the pings started going up any. I would imagine the pings on spaceway 3 are still running sub 800 on commercial systems.
--

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to Pakapab

said by Pakapab:

Still, HN commercial ping times around 900ms?? I wounder why that would be, as other competitors commercial offerings pings are consistently lower. At least the ones Ive dealt with. ... What s up with that?? Having low ping, even if your dl/ul speeds are lower actually speeds browsing etc up. My Spacenet 1meg by 1meg at work rocks!! pings average 600-625.... I ve even seen them as low as 480!!

There was a recent discussion elsewhere about bad ping times that started out discussing a Hughes HX-50 operating in Afghanistan on a 10:1 contention that was seeing highly fluctuating pings. In that discussion, the tech service manager for a VAR that sells iDirect into Iraq and Afghanistan said this: "the users will HAMMER the network for as much bandwidth as they can get. While the pings usually stay in the 500-800ms range, they can spike up to 2000ms if there's enough users eating up all the timeslots."

My own iDirect experience is that pings always stay within 100ms of theoretical minimum, but apparently that is not just due to the technology but also to the loading and available slots.
--
Motosat self-pointing dishes: 1.2-meter XF-3 on 127W, .74 meter G74 on 127W, SL-5 HD DirecTV|idirect 3100|Hughes HN7000S|Verizon UMW190 Air Card|1990 Blue Bird Wanderlodge Bus "Blue Thunder"|Author of hnFAP-Alert, PC-OPI and DSSatTool

Name141

join:2006-09-02
reply to A Tech

Will I have to replace all of my HN7000S + Sat equipment I've had for years to get on the new sat I wonder ? Will there be some reasonable download limits , such as maybe 5 GBs a day or something to where you could reasonably download games from steam rather than taking up to about 1.5-2 weeks to get 25 GBs (Christmas sales) ?

zeddlar

Jay, OK
Reviews:
·exede by ViaSat
·McDonald County ..

I would expect more along the lines of 2 GB a day or less. I would imagine that at best the high end plans will be about 60 GB in a month or 2 GB a day. And yes, you will need all new equipment.
--

Name141

I imagine the high end plans will cost 'some high end dollars'. If they are wanting to make this a game changer, it needs to be atleast 150 GBs a month seeing as that's what cable and DSL companies are rolling out.

2GB a day is what I can get from 1-6 AM during the fap free window time NOW. Only seeing my plan's full speed though for about 2-2.5 hours.

zeddlar

Jay, OK
Reviews:
·exede by ViaSat
·McDonald County ..

According to what they have been touting, the plans should either remain the same prices or be somewhat lower and for high end plans, I am referring to the residential plans which would put the highest plan at what I have at $119 a month. Expensive but not out of the questiion for some. Would like to see it drop back to $99 a month though.
--

Name141

I'm on the proplus plan at almost $85 a month after taxes. I feel like I'm getting shafted compared to what my friends up town are paying for their cable and DSL. I imagine they need to work on pricing as well as increasing the limits and dropping the latency to really do anything.

WildblueUser

@wildblue.net
reply to A Tech

While I don't think they really believe they can compete with Cable or DSL, they can make Viasat's Exede plans look pretty ridiculous. Look at what they are charging for limited bandwidth. Even if Hughesnet doesn't change a thing with their current plans (other than offering better speeds), with the download zone it would still be a superior package to anything Exede has to offer.

bcltoys

join:2008-07-21
Lost today
reply to A Tech

Where are they going to park this bird. Thank's