how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tcat007

join:2010-10-04
Austin, TX

No audio on Incoming calls (sometimes)

I switched to Cable (RR) a few months ago. Viatalk seemed to be working fine for a while, but now when I call home, I can hear my wife, but she can't hear me. If I call her back a minute later all is fine. She says this happens about 3 times a day (from various friends). What should I try? Reboot? Call Viatalk? Play with router (Linksys WRT54G) settings? Play with PAP2? Suggestions welcome!

Unrelated question: What the difference between setting various incoming# call routing to "Blacklisted" or "Blocked"?

dcurrey
Premium
join:2004-06-29
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Cincinnati Bell
·ViaTalk

If you have the admin password you could try changing the sip port to 5080. For some reason certain companies they change the port off 5060. If that doesn't work a trouble ticket might be in order.

And now that I think of it you can change the port yourself in CP Its under adapter settings. A reboot of VT provisioned adapter is required for setting to take effect.

As for as blacklisted and blocked its just a different recording. Look at the bottom of the incoming call routing page they have the various messages so you can hear them.

tcat007

Austin, TX

Thanks! A little time hunting for my password, but changing the 5060 to 5080 seems to work (at least on 3 calls so far!).

tcat007

Austin, TX

Spoke too soon. Lots of other odd things happening. One friend called 4 times, said it rang and rang the 1st 3 times and no one answered (but our phone was not ringing)... 4th time rang at both ends and connected fine. Later, I tried calling in and got a busy signal, but was told no one was using the phone.

Anything else to try? Reboot the WRT54G? Other PAP2 settings to try?

Youngjm

join:2002-04-01
Ada, MI
reply to tcat007

There is definitely something going on. I am having similar issues and I have tried to change to different servers. Nothing about my local network has changed since this problem started.

dcurrey
Premium
join:2004-06-29

Try the hightower.vtnoc.net server. It handles calls a little differently than the others.

Have you tired putting ata into DMZ for testing?

Central PA

join:2003-07-09
Aspers, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Youngjm

I've been using ViaTalk (not BYOD) and Comcast HSI for years; my network has not changed. I, too, have been experiencing problems for the past few weeks. I've opened a Support Ticket and have had several voice discussions with Tech Support. Tech Support has made changes on the ATA several times, and has selected a different ViaTalk server. Unfortunately, no improvements/solution.

DaveDude
No Fear

join:1999-09-01
New Jersey
kudos:1
reply to tcat007

I just started experiencing this, and alot of calls going into fast busies. It has worked for years, without issues.

v35_pilot
Whoops, there goes another AMU
Premium
join:2005-12-12
Fayetteville, NY
reply to tcat007

Add me to the list of customers who is now experiencing all kinds of problems over the last three weeks. NOTHING has changed at my end, ATA in DMZ, very stable Verizon FiOS ISP.

1) Many, many outbound calls result in no audio whatsoever, despite receiver of call telling me later they picked up and heard me.

2) Unable to dial the voicemail system to retrieve voicemail.

3) Incoming calls occasionally going to network down backup number.

4) No audio on incoming calls

tcat007

Austin, TX

Mine's been behaving better lately. Two things that I had changed was I turned on call waiting, and turned on voicemail. I decided to turn them both back off, and things seemed to have improved after that. No clue if either was an issue, but I tend to blame it on VT.

v35_pilot
Whoops, there goes another AMU
Premium
join:2005-12-12
Fayetteville, NY
reply to tcat007

Finally had the time to call VT's tech support and get this corrected.

Reached a particularly arrogant tech rep who spoke down to me and wouldn't tell me what magical changes were made to address all the problems I reported.

Oh, as a seven year customer how I enjoy being treated like shit by a company who continually touts "exceptional customer service" everywhere but in the attitudes of the reps who actually perform the service.

Despite the crappy customer service experience I did learn that my Linksys router was no longer in the DMZ as I had assumed, due to a change in the Linksys's IP address, so I corrected that.

This plus the magical, "you-don't-need-to-bother-yourself with-the-technical-details" changes made by the rep will hopefully have a positive impact the reliability that had suffered over the last few weeks.

And another thing: When a tech rep hangs up on a customer before the last question is answered it leaves a very bad taste in a customer's mouth.

dmolavi
Premium
join:2005-04-11
Sewell, NJ
reply to tcat007

I have had the same issues over the past few weeks as the others in this, and other, threads have reported. I haven't yet had to call their tech support, as their online support has been responsive, but it seems as though fixing one problem (inability to connect to 800/877 numbers) causes other problems (no audio on inbound calls, outbound calls not ringing, etc). I'm not sure what is going on, or what has changed on VT's part. Thus far, it has been only a minor annoyance, but is starting to approach the point where I will consider moving elsewhere for service.

My connection setup via Verizon FiOS has not changed in years (and their bundle is looking attractive, since I will basically break even w/ their voice+internet). I have been a loyal customer since the Sunrocket implosion 4 1/2 years ago. I'd hate to move on, but if the connectivity and other issues continue, I won't be left with any other alternative.
--
NukedGallery.net
GalleryModules.com

Youngjm

join:2002-04-01
Ada, MI
reply to tcat007

I have been getting better service lately. I went the control panel and changed my settings to use port 5080 from 5060 and changed my server from Midwest to Central. I think the change of ports is more at the heart of the success.

Mash85

join:2012-06-14
south africa
reply to tcat007

I would suggest that you play with the router because I also had the same problem where i couldn't receive calls but i was able to do outgoing calls only to find out that it was the router that was causing all those problems.

Expand your moderator at work