spc
Search similar:

uniqs
slugworth
join:2002-04-24
New Market, MN

slugworth

[MN] high packet loss within Mediacom network

I'm a Mediacom customer in the Prior Lake/Elko area and for the past few days I've been seeing a good deal of packet loss on the Mediacom network, between my cable modem and the Mediacom gateway:

My traceroute  [v0.80]
bucket (0.0.0.0)                                              Fri Feb 24 11:26:05 2012
Keys:  Help   Display mode   Restart statistics   Order of fields   quit
                                              Packets               Pings
 Host                                       Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
 1. 192.168.1.1                              0.0%   272    0.3   0.3   0.2   0.4   0.0
 2. 173.18.0.1                              11.4%   271    9.3  51.2   7.1 601.2  95.3

I've tried the usual approach of unplugging the modem and disconnecting the cable connection from the modem, rebooting my router, etc. No Joy.

I have the Cisco DPC300 cable modem.

Is there a problem within the local Mediacom network?

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

I don't have any problems reported in Prior Lake or the surrounding area. If you can PM your phone number or account number to me, I'll be happy to check your connection out a bit closer.
slugworth
join:2002-04-24
New Market, MN

slugworth

well, of course after I posted my query things have improved; no ping loss now. Murphy's law in reverse. Thanks for the quick response MediacomChad. I suggest holding off any further investigation for now.

streatorguy
@mchsi.com

streatorguy to slugworth

Anon

to slugworth
its been awhile since I've done any networking, so someone please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't hop 2 is between your router and cable modem?
Pringlescan
join:2007-01-05
Des Moines, IA

Pringlescan

said by streatorguy :

its been awhile since I've done any networking, so someone please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't hop 2 is between your router and cable modem?

You are correct.