how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MiNdErAsR
Dark Lord of Sriracha

join:2000-11-25

Do Not Track Plus vs Ghostery

Just curious how Do Not Track Plus compares to Ghostery? Is one better than the other, and/or would running both be redundant?

What say you?

TIA

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

I have been using Ghostery for a while with no problems. FF 10.0.2.

Recently installed Do Not Track Plus and running both at same time. Ghostery seems to get everything first. In last several weeks do not think I have been to a site where Do Not Track picked up any "crumbs".

But just my humble observations.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
kudos:1
Reviews:
·PLDT
·Comcast

2 recommendations

reply to MiNdErAsR

Back in November this is what I got. To get the full effect, I disable NoScript, turned off Web Bug Blocking in Ghostery and disable Adblock Plus.

On msnbc.msn.com it blocked 0 social button, 4 ad networks and 3 companies. Ghostery reported 7 trackers.
On foxnews.com/fox.com it blocked 0 social button, 6 ad networks and 8 companies. Ghostery reported 7 trackers.
On bbc.co.uk it blocked 0 social button, 3 ad networks and 5 companies. Ghostery reported 7 trackers.
On cbsnews.com it blocked 2 social button, 5 ad networks and 12 companies. Ghostery reported 14 trackers.

I just reinstalled it and these are my results today.
On msnbc.msn.com it blocked 1 social button, 7 ad networks and 6 companies. Ghostery reported 12 trackers.
On foxnews.com it blocked 0 social button, 5 ad networks and 9 companies. Ghostery reported 8 trackers.
On bbc.co.uk it blocked 0 social button, 3 ad networks and 4 companies. Ghostery reported 8 trackers.
On cbsnews.com it blocked 2 social button, 5 ad networks and 11 companies. Ghostery reported 13 trackers.

Like in November, one item I did not like is Do Not Track Plus add a boat load of "opt-out" cookies. You cannot delete them either, unless you disable the extension, it just adds them back in. It looks like you should be able to disable this, but it apparently does not work.

In normal use I do not accept cookies from any site except those I specifically allow.

So once again as I did in November I have "opted-out" of Do Not Track Plus and removed the extension.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

mkrubsack

join:2007-04-07
Fresno, CA
reply to hortnut

said by hortnut:

I have been using Ghostery for a while with no problems. FF 10.0.2.

Recently installed Do Not Track Plus and running both at same time. Ghostery seems to get everything first. In last several weeks do not think I have been to a site where Do Not Track picked up any "crumbs".

But just my humble observations.

Same here. I uninstalled Do Not Track Plus and still use Ghostery.

Marsman

join:2004-11-10
reply to chrisretusn

Thx chrisretusn for posting your informative observations!

kingb71

join:2000-10-09
Mississauga, ON
reply to MiNdErAsR

After reading this thread I installed Ghostery, having uninstalled it in the past after it slowed down firefox, now I find it quicker instead.

I have a question- there's an option to delete flash & silverlight cookies on exit.
If I enable that, can I uninstall the better privacy extension?

MiNdErAsR
Dark Lord of Sriracha

join:2000-11-25
reply to MiNdErAsR

It seems there is some redundancy across the extensions. Does one need Flashblock if running NoScript? I also run Better Privacy. Is it redundant if Ghostery is deleting the silverlight cookies?

Thanks to all who have replied.

Oleg
Premium
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL
kudos:2
reply to MiNdErAsR

Ghostery is better in my view.

kingb71

join:2000-10-09
Mississauga, ON
reply to MiNdErAsR

What about the share me not extension?
Can I get rid of that one as well?

Also, isn't the do not track feature baked into the browser in the first place?

Madtown
Premium
join:2008-04-26
Madera, CA
reply to MiNdErAsR

I've just installed Ghostery, and do I block every items that it tracked or just some of them? I look at what is (fill in name) and some of them says undisclosed in privacy information, do I block those as well?

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

I let it block all of them.

You need to make sure when it updates, and you get the notice saying it has updated, that you open Options and checkmark all the boxes and then don't forget as I did to SAVE the updated settings. It updated March 2 and I either forgot to open Options, (I think I did that though) when it notified me of the update, or I opened Options, checked the boxes for the new detections, and then I forgot to Save the settings because when I went to Options just now I found all these new detections that it wasn't detecting.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

DrDrew
So that others may surf.
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:14

2 edits

1 recommendation

Click for full size
said by Mele20:

I let it block all of them.

You need to make sure when it updates, and you get the notice saying it has updated, that you open Options and checkmark all the boxes and then don't forget as I did to SAVE the updated settings. It updated March 2 and I either forgot to open Options, (I think I did that though) when it notified me of the update, or I opened Options, checked the boxes for the new detections, and then I forgot to Save the settings because when I went to Options just now I found all these new detections that it wasn't detecting.

May sure "Block new elements by default" is checked in the advanced tab. If you don't have that option, you may have to update the version of Ghostery you have installed. The latest released version for Firefox is 2.7.1
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Thank you! I didn't have that checked. I had checked everything else in Advanced Options except remove Silverlight and Flash cookies which is unnecessary because I don't have those plugins on Fx 4. I do though on Fx Enterprise on a guest machine so I have to check Ghostery's settings there also.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06
reply to chrisretusn

said by chrisretusn:

Like in November, one item I did not like is Do Not Track Plus add a boat load of "opt-out" cookies. You cannot delete them either, unless you disable the extension, it just adds them back in. It looks like you should be able to disable this, but it apparently does not work. ...

I found out the hard way that it was DNT+ that added the boat load of cookies. Geeze »[FireFox] FF 3.6.28 and loads of unwanted cookies
I thought I had spyware or a virus. And you are correct, there's no way to remove them or to easily distinguish between the DNT+ cookies and the ones that you really want/need. That is just stupid.

I have removed DNT+ completely and will give Ghostery a try.

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06
reply to MiNdErAsR

Been running Ghostery now for several days and loving it. Does exactly what it says it does without any cookie pollution or otherwise ill effects. I will roll it out across the board beginning next week.

KoRnGtL15
Premium
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR
reply to Mele20

Should delete flash and silverlight cookies be checked as well? I also use CCleaner.

Gem
Premium
join:2005-09-10
kudos:4

Ran them both on FF 10 and had no problems.

Rolled back to FF 3.6 which doesn't support DNT, but Ghostery seems to be working fine on it.

Not sure that we really need both.

Bobby_Peru
Premium
join:2003-06-16

3 edits
reply to MiNdErAsR

said by MiNdErAsR:

It seems there is some redundancy across the extensions. Does one need Flashblock if running NoScript? I also run Better Privacy. Is it redundant if Ghostery is deleting the silverlight cookies? ...

Good questions! I think it depends on how much information, and control over these objects each user wants.

I have not tried DNTP.

Flashbock has been useful here, for sites (and/or 3ed Party addresses) that have been Whitelisted in NoScript, yet contain a mix of desired and undesired objects, as it enables each object to then be selectively unblocked, or unblocked en-mass, per visit.

Better Privacy gives much more user configurable control (more than I know how to set) of dealing with LSOs than Ghostery's simple all or nothing choice of deleting them all on exit. It can Protect selected LSO's from several methods of auto-deletion.

To this list of useful attempted security/privacy/sanity protection Extensions (AbP, NS, Ghostery, Better Privacy, and Flashblock), I would add Request Policy. It's a huge Web-wide cross-site tracking eye-opener, and gives site-specific to site-specific object control, over and above AbP's abilities.

»www.requestpolicy.com/