All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Microman
@verizon.net

Microman

Anon

[HD] FIOS Install has 3 Way Splitter 2 3.x dB and 1 6.x dB. Why?

Is this splitter with the 6.x db going to the HD TV? and the two 3.x going to the STD TV and the INTERNET MODEM?

I want to split and add a TIVO HD, and I want to make sure I use the best choice

Thanks.
lijacobs
join:2010-07-30
Woodmere, NY

lijacobs

Re: [HD] FIOS Install has 3 Way Splitter 2 3.x dB and 1 6.x dB.

Doesn't sound right. There should be 1 leg with 3 to 3.5 DB loss and 2 legs with 6 to 7 DB loss.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

Right

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr to Microman

MVM

to Microman
I have a 3 way splitter in use as lijacobs described. Add a splitter to the 3dB leg, although you'll need to check if all devices are working well. I originally had a 6dB leg between the Actiontec and a P2500-1 which gave me some VOD problems occasionally. I swapped it with the 3 dB leg and had no more problems. It showed up in the router's Coax Stats page. The numbers went from 180 to 210 or higher.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to Microman

Premium Member

to Microman
Having a splitter that has 2 3 db loss legs and one 6 db loss leg is like filling three half gallon jugs of water from a one gallon container. Not saying someone cant claim to do it just saying its impossible to achieve.

Microman
@verizon.net

Microman

Anon

Will take a look tomorrow. Maybe, probably I got it reversed. Need to study what the 3 outputs mean and which one I should chose to further split for another hr receiver and which for a std receiver
Light Guy
join:2006-05-12
Somerville, NJ

Light Guy to Microman

to Microman
Verizon does get balanced 3-way splitters occasionally all with 6 or 5.5 db loss.

If the 3 way splitter is the only splitter, then replacing it with a 4-way splitter with 7.5 db loss on each leg is fine.

If there are other splitters in the equation list them, and I`m sure a solution will be spelled out for you.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

2 edits

rody_44

Premium Member

Pretty obvious he doesnt have a balanced splitter. Use the low loss leg thats going to be between 3 and 4. The way a unbalanced three way splitter works is your signal is split once within the splitter with half the signal going to the one leg. Than its split again and sent to the two remaining legs. If you put a second 2 way splitter on the low loss leg you come out with all 4 with a loss of about 7 dbs each. Or you just get a 4 way splitter which just splits the signal 4 equal ways with the same 7 db loss roughly.

Microman
@memorialcare.org

Microman

Anon

After taking another look, It is a 1 output 3.7 dB and 2 output 6.7 dB.

Had cablle card reactivated, and all looks good, even with white barrel connector, but will search for a better one.

Thinking of changing the 3.7 and 6.7 so that one HD TV gets a 6.7 and the BEDROOM the splits gets, the 3.7 feed, to further SPLIT.

Thanks, For help... PICTURE and sound look great, will test to see if all channels paid for are there.
caps620
join:2009-01-18
Central NJ

caps620 to Microman

to Microman
The coax also has losses. Longest run on the lower loss splitter output.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to Microman

Premium Member

to Microman
said by Microman :

After taking another look, It is a 1 output 3.7 dB and 2 output 6.7 dB.

Had cablle card reactivated, and all looks good, even with white barrel connector, but will search for a better one.

Thinking of changing the 3.7 and 6.7 so that one HD TV gets a 6.7 and the BEDROOM the splits gets, the 3.7 feed, to further SPLIT.

Thanks, For help... PICTURE and sound look great, will test to see if all channels paid for are there.

it shouldn't matter as long as your signal is fine. I have an 8 way splitter on the output of my ONT. I can split one of those 8 outputs and then have it split four ways in my TiVo Elite and it still has a very strong signal.