share rss forum feed

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

Year-End Financials & Customer Churn Stats

Has anyone got links to the yearend financials from Bell and the other incumbent providers, so that we can see whether and by what margin they gained/lost broadband subscribers during 2011 ? (aka 'churn')

What I'm out to establish from this is whether and by how much that now-famous 6% Indie ISPs' overall share of Canada's wired broadband customer base has grown during 2011, as said statistic has already celebrated its first birthday. [fetch cake & ice cream]

pstewart
Premium,VIP
join:2005-10-12
Peterborough, ON
kudos:1
Where does the 6% number come from?

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 edit
said by pstewart:

Not the incumbents themselves, not StatsCan, and not the CNOC as it slightly predates CNOC.

Maybe the CRTC (though I think that they also only quoted it at some hearings).

Methinks that it was an independent tabulator.

JF might know.
--

"It's COLD in here, Mister (Premier) McGuilty ! - PLEASE, could I have just a wee piece of COAL for the fire ?"
-
NEW eBOX Forum ! (on DSLR) »ELECTRONICBOX

jfmezei
Premium
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC
kudos:23
CRTC issues a yearly communications monitoring report. It has those stats in there. last one was published July 2011.

»crtc.gc.ca/eng/publications/repo···/cmr.htm

For Bell, you goto their investors page to get yearly and quartlerly reports to see what spin they put on reality. You can often also listen to the analyst teleconferences where serion Bell management may say additional things in response to reporter questions.

»www.bce.ca/en/investors/financia···ndex.php

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
said by jfmezei:

....For Bell, you goto their investors page to get yearly and quartlerly reports to see what spin they put on reality. You can often also listen to the analyst teleconferences where serion Bell management may say additional things in response to reporter questions.

Thanks.

So it looks like the numbers I seek (those from Bell at least) will be in their Annual report, which, based on 2010's, will likely be released on or about the Ides of March, 2 weeks prior to their annual shareholders' meeting.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to pstewart
said by pstewart:

I do forget for the life of me, just whose stat that is.

Did Mirko first spew/skew it at a 'Talking Points' briefing ?

Did KvF first mumble it at a CRTC hearing ?

I think that it was from an external source, though.

Hmmmm....

AndyB, do YOU have any idea ?

I'm just hoping that with any new info from the various financial reports, that we can project whether it rose much above 6% by the end of 2011.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 edit

I just found this link »www.digitalhome.ca/2011/02/bce-r···results/ on Page 8 of the UBB Articles thread, and it quotes the Bell customer churn figures which I remember seeing, but the elusive 6% stat ?

andyb
Premium
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario
kudos:1
reply to Davesnothere
The 6% comes from the CRTC report.In 2010 it was 6% but thats misleading also. Wholesale,resellers etc are lumped into the same group of "other TSP's" in the market share. Part of that problem I think is because bell counts wholesaler's own customers as their own customers in the financials which is a source for the CRTC numbers.Bells wholesale division has more accurate numbers but that may not make the financial numbers appear good so...

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

The below links which I found last night, especially the 2nd one, may shed some light and/or may point to some answers :

(I just KNEW that I was getting a feeling of Deja Vu, and sure enough it turns out that I started that thread nearly a year ago.)

»BELL 2010Q4 Financials

»Detailed Internet Subscriber Statistics Breakdown

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to Davesnothere

Any new numbers yet ?

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 edit
reply to jfmezei

BCE 2011 Year-End Financials

said by jfmezei:

....For Bell, you goto their investors page to get yearly and quartlerly reports to see what spin they put on reality. You can often also listen to the analyst teleconferences where serion Bell management may say additional things in response to reporter questions.

This is WEIRD.

I could not find the BCE 2011 Q4/EoY financials when I began this thread.

At that time, the BCE page from JF's link said that they would be published on March 15th.

Now I look again and several places say that BCE published them on Feb 9th, BEFORE I started the thread.

Examples :

»www.marketwatch.com/story/bce-re···-09-7000

»business-video.tmcnet.com/news/2···0697.htm

»ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/bce-re···062.html

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

2 edits

Anyway, here are a couple of snippets from the report which may shed some light upon Bell's recent behaviour, such as their '2012 March Madness Indie FTTN DSL Setup Fee Waiving' :
quote:
• Growth in residential Internet and IP-based service revenues was offset by lower legacy data revenues and reduced product sales, principally in the business sector, leading to an overall 4.1% decrease in data revenues to $993 million this quarter.  Wireline data revenue results in Q4 2010 included revenue from Sympatico.ca portal, now part of the Bell Media segment.

• High-speed Internet net activations were 1,091 this quarter (2011-Q4), compared to 12,099 in Q4 2010.  Bell had 2,112,752 high-speed Internet subscribers at the end of the quarter, 0.7% more than last year.

jfmezei
Premium
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC
kudos:23

Re: Year-End Financials & Customer Churn Stats

The feeling I have is that the march FTTN special was not the result of an order from the top to offer specials, but rather suggestions from below which were not refused once the top realised they had nothing to lose due to the lacklustre numbers.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

4 edits
said by jfmezei:

The feeling I have....

Just a Minute.... [Dave goes and gets his Subscriber Hat and puts it on.]

OK, with THIS hat, the bottom line for ME reads the same, regardless of whose idea it was. [Puts hat away again]

What I'm saying is that Bell is trying to avoid THIS :

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
said by Davesnothere:

Just a Minute.... [Dave goes and gets his Subscriber Hat and puts it on.]

OK, with THIS hat, the bottom line for ME reads the same, regardless of whose idea it was. [Puts hat away again]

"To be or not to be, that is the bottom line."
[Puts on my wizard hat and grabs my cloak & staff, and vanishes in a haze of LoLz.]

--
You see there is only one constant. One universal. It is the only real truth. Causality. Action, reaction. Cause and effect.

Motorola SB6120-1.0.6.1, Netgear RangeMax WNDR3700v1, Dupont POI, eXtreme Cable Pr0 28/1 Unlimited.