uniqs
share rss forum feed

Premium
join:2005-03-29
kudos:3

1 recommendation

[FYI] Rules and Composition and Cropping

Hi,
There have been a number of threads and posts regarding composition and I've been reading a bit about these rules. One thing became clear immediately; it seemed that you have to pick your point of interest and site it on one of the intersections of a grid dividing the image into a 3 x 3 layout or some Golden Rule layout.
That's all well and good, but that 3 x 3 grid can have many proportions itself (square, rectangular) as well as absolute size, and it also became clear that an image had to be cropped as well to make the rule of thirds placement look OK.
Simply put, there can be several images with different proportions each of which will have the point of interest on an intersection.
For those of you using Photoshop, I found a script (»goldencrop.sourceforge.net/) that allows you to do several things at once, place the point of interest, choose the image proportion and its absolute size.
Once you start playing with this it might become hard to decide what the best placement and proportion is; several results often seem to fit the bill.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy
I don't use PS but I still do use a grid in PSP4X...when I use one at all. I tend to break rules, as you know, and I don't always like to be stuck within such parameters. That said, your script might be very helpful though.

EGeezer
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric

2 recommendations

reply to 29886823
said by 29886823:

Once you start playing with this it might become hard to decide what the best placement and proportion is; several results often seem to fit the bill.

That's why photography is an art as well as a science.