lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by jchambers28:

I have premier internet 30/4.5

Well looking at your modem stats, it seems to me there is issue's with channel 79 on the downstream. I can tell you from past problems, one channel having issue's can bring your connection to shit. So there is a good chance whatever is happening with that channel 79, could be your source for trouble.

jchambers28

join:2007-05-12
Alma, AR

would it make since if one channel screws up you still have 3 channels left?

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by jchambers28:

would it make since if one channel screws up you still have 3 channels left?

Well here is the thing, if that one channel is adding up codewords, that's a sign of an issue being caused on that channel. So I have no clue exactly what could be the problem on that one channel, but if your modem is spending all its time trying to work threw an issue being caused on one channel, it can affect your whole connection. I personally remember a while back not long before cox in my market added more downstream channels. They removed one of the 800mhz channels, and replaced it with another 800mhz channel. The new channel was pushing lots of codewords, and during that time my connection was terrible, including speeds. I have no clue exactly the problem was with that one channel, but it was fixed in a few hours after bringing it to the attention of one of the techs.

jchambers28

Alma, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·AT&T Wireless Br..

I called support they told me I need a new modem WTF I just got it 2 years ago. I think phone support is clueless. What will replacing modems accomplish besides pissing away money I don't want to spend. I would not mid having a new 8 channel but Motorola does not make them at all.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by jchambers28:

I called support they told me I need a new modem WTF I just got it 2 years ago. I think phone support is clueless. What will replacing modems accomplish besides pissing away money I don't want to spend. I would not mid having a new 8 channel but Motorola does not make them at all.

My question to you, has that channel 79 been adding up codewords since you notice this problem happening? Because if so, I put money that's where your problem is. Also I would bring it to the attention of cox, if the above is happening regarding codewords on that channel.

jchambers28

Alma, AR

it's been adding code words for a lonnnnnnnng time

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to jchambers28

said by jchambers28:

the moto 6180 is 8 channel as is the cisco DPC3010.
a new 8 channel modem isn't going to fix your issue if your area is only 4 channel.

jchambers28

Alma, AR
reply to jchambers28

All I know is I am dealing with shit for brains phone support and not getting where and keep getting hung up on.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to jchambers28

said by jchambers28:

it's been adding code words for a lonnnnnnnng time

Well if codewords on all channels were looking close together, I wouldn't point to the channel being a problem. But there is a big difference in codewords between the rest of the downstream channels. So that channel has to be a cause for concern, and makes me wonder if there is some kind of noise issue or something else affecting that channel at times. I wish there was a tech in your market that visited these forums, and could help look into this for you. But that's not the case, however I suggest maybe bringing this up to CoxTech1 See Profile, he should be back on here sunday.

jchambers28

Alma, AR
reply to jchambers28

Does cox have the same shitty phone support every where?

jchambers28

Alma, AR
reply to lilstone87

By the way they moved phone support to Omaha NE. There is no Local support here any more. Atleast when it was in kansas they would try to help. Now It seems like I have a bunch of script readers.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to jchambers28

said by jchambers28:

Does cox have the same shitty phone support every where?

Phone support isn't any company's strong suit. Phone reps are very limited in what they can help you with, sometimes it nice to ask to see if you can speak with a supervisor if one is available. There not of much help at times either, and its very unlikely to speak with someone from tier 2 or above over the phone.

jchambers28

Alma, AR

been on hold for 30 min getting pissed. Oh how I miss TWC in times like these. I used to work for them before i moved here.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by jchambers28:

been on hold for 30 min getting pissed. Oh how I miss TWC in times like these.

Yeah whenever I call support for help, once you select support for the service you need help with. It sends you to the auto system that trys to help with simple issue's. After it ask what you need help with, I always just hit 0, which it ask do you want to speak with a rep, and I say Yes. I don't have time to deal with a machine that can't help me what so ever. I try and avoid using tech support over the phone. Only used it in the past mostly to provision a modem or setup a tech visit. Since I know the rep isn't gonna be able to help me with anything more then that.

jchambers28

Alma, AR

I guess i am wasting my time with these bastards.

jchambers28

Alma, AR
reply to jchambers28

I guess i am stuck till Chris get back on Sunday.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to jchambers28

said by jchambers28:

I guess i am wasting my time with these bastards.

I suggest you take this up with CoxTech1 See Profile once he is back on here. Let him look over things, and see what he suggest. Like I said though, that one channel needs to be pointed out, as there seems to be an issue with it.

jchambers28

Alma, AR

Chris is CoxTech1 BTW

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to jchambers28

said by jchambers28:

I guess i am stuck till Chris get back on Sunday.

Well CoxTech1 See Profile does have a twitter which is the same as his name on here. I don't know if you have a twitter or not. But he has Becky help out on his twitter the days he's off. So she might be able to look over things tomorrow, if you want to go that route.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to jchambers28

said by jchambers28:

Chris is CoxTech1 BTW

Yes I know his name is Chris, I drive him crazy a lot over ongoing issue's, like the upstream problem I have been dealing with for a while. I wish my upstream issue's would stop, because I do feel bad bothering him all the time. Also one other local cox guy I drive crazy, and I appreciate all the help from him as well. Because both of them have been threw hell with me over trying to figure out the source of spotty upstream issue's.

jchambers28

Alma, AR

will moving back to a Docsis 2.0 modem fix the problemb?
until I require more speed?

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by jchambers28:

will moving back to a Docsis 2.0 modem fix the problemb?
until I require more speed?

Well its possible if that one channel is the cause of your issue's, and the d2 modem locks onto one of the other channels. But then your back to being on a single downstream channel, and speed will factor depending on the bandwidth usage on that channel.

jchambers28

Alma, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·AT&T Wireless Br..
reply to jchambers28

I spent 20 minutes on hold for tier 1 support. went threw all the trouble shooting BS with them. They wanted to send a tech out for $35 I said no. I said I wanted a tier 2 rep. I got transferred 2 a tier 2 rep. He asked me what brand of splitters I was using. I told him Holland. He said there is your problem he said they are low quality splitters. I went in to my box of Regal splitters I used when I was a cable tech for TW replaced them with Regal splitters and my troubles are gone and my speed is back. Thanks to the tier 2 support for the help. So if u have cheap splitters get rid of them and get some regal splitters.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by jchambers28:

I spent 20 minutes on hold for tier 1 support. went threw all the trouble shooting BS with them. They wanted to send a tech out for $35 I said no. I said I wanted a tier 2 rep. I got transferred 2 a tier 2 rep. He asked me what brand of splitters I was using. I told him Holland. He said there is your problem he said they are low quality splitters. I went in to my box of Regal splitters I used when I was a cable tech for TW replaced them with Regal splitters and my troubles are gone and my speed is back. Thanks to the tier 2 support for the help. So if u have cheap splitters get rid of them and get some regal splitters.

LOL I could of told you that, always troubleshoot your own stuff first. Meaning check for bad cabling, loose connections, and use quality splitters if they are needed. I have a few splitters I keep that I have collected over time from cox, which the splitters the techs use are normally of good quality. 99% of splitters from the store are junk, so I have always stayed away from them. One quick question, how is that channel 79 looking now?

jchambers28

Alma, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·AT&T Wireless Br..
reply to lilstone87

Click for full size
what do u think? I will be using my regal splitters I got from TW from now on. The splitters that came with the phone modem are junk. The phone modem is gone and so is the splitters that came with it. Why does cox include junk splitters with phone modem self installs?

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by jchambers28:

what do u think? I will be using my regal splitters I got from TW from now on. The splitters that came with the phone modem are junk. The phone modem is gone and so is the splitters that came with it.

Things look much better now, and as long as it stays that way, even your signal levels look a little better then before. Hopefully this solved your problem for good. Yesterday I replaced the main cable running to my modem, because of the issue I am still having. So now everything is brand new from the tap to the eMTA modem(including modem). I am hoping I can get lucky, and my issue's become a thing of the past.

jchambers28

Alma, AR
reply to jchambers28

Thanks for all your help every one.

ikyuaoki

join:2011-04-12
Wichita, KS
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 edit
reply to jchambers28

I don't deal with the phone support anymore, I usually PMing to the Coxtech1 if I have any problems on this broadbandreports.com site here. And I made some adjusted my windows advanced firewall to permitting the internet floods to spills into my computer from the cable internet and voila! it works.

jchambers28

Alma, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·AT&T Wireless Br..
reply to jchambers28

Click for full size
It's back again. I called tech support. They offered me a new modem for $50 for being a 6 year customer I took them up on the offer If that does not fix the issue I will resell it and get me a Cisco dpc 3010. They only sell sb6120 modems here. I live in a APT cox charges $30 for a tech visit because APTS are difficult to trouble shoot.