Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to dvd536

Re: [AR] reallly slow internet

said by dvd536:

said by jchambers28:

Why is this modem so slow on speed test sites? But when you download a actual file you speeds are normal.

because browsers average the speeds and powerboost poisons that.

Well I have pointed this out a while back, and it seems to be an issue with at least the D3 Cisco modems. Just don't plan to use sites like testmy.net for testing with that modem. Real connection speeds should be unaffected, as long as your using a server you know can handle maxing out your connection. I personally think it has something to do firmware related to these modems, and doesn't play nice with a site like testmy.net, and the setup they use for testing. Also I have used both the DPC3010, and DPQ3212. Both show same affects when testing on testmy.net, but no affects on real downloads to trusted servers that are not limited.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

said by lilstone87:

said by dvd536:

said by jchambers28:

Why is this modem so slow on speed test sites? But when you download a actual file you speeds are normal.

because browsers average the speeds and powerboost poisons that.

Well I have pointed this out a while back, and it seems to be an issue with at least the D3 Cisco modems. Just don't plan to use sites like testmy.net for testing with that modem. Real connection speeds should be unaffected, as long as your using a server you know can handle maxing out your connection. I personally think it has something to do firmware related to these modems, and doesn't play nice with a site like testmy.net, and the setup they use for testing. Also I have used both the DPC3010, and DPQ3212. Both show same affects when testing on testmy.net, but no affects on real downloads to trusted servers that are not limited.

FWIW: I never got good results on testmy.net with my 6120 either.

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by dvd536:

Well we all know the hate you have for motorola. But as for bad results using the 6120 on testmy.net, that had to be a local issue regarding your pc of use, or web browser you were using. I ran plenty of test using the 6120 on testmy.net, and it provided realistic numbers all the time. With the Cisco D3 modems, I don't care what setup you try, you will not get good download numbers with testmy.net testing setup.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

said by lilstone87:

said by dvd536:

Well we all know the hate you have for motorola. But as for bad results using the 6120 on testmy.net, that had to be a local issue regarding your pc of use, or web browser you were using. I ran plenty of test using the 6120 on testmy.net, and it provided realistic numbers all the time. With the Cisco D3 modems, I don't care what setup you try, you will not get good download numbers with testmy.net testing setup.

I don't hate moto, just their D3 modems. the 5120 i had gave me years of good service[no good results with that modem on testmy.net either]

ikyuaoki

join:2011-04-12
Wichita, KS
reply to jchambers28

I got a good speeds on some speed test sites. I think they should start to implant the queue line up technique to save the bandwidth up so the bandwidth pressure can be eased.

Expand your moderator at work