Toronto, ON

Pharaoh11 to junkmail2002

to junkmail2002

Re: Teksavvy Cable - Connection Dropping every 4-8 Hours

said by junkmail2002:

Just got another reply:

---

Hello,

Is there a way we can test with a different modem perhaps? this could be a possible modem issue, please let us know if we could test a different modem,

Regards,
TSI_Dave

---

And my response:

By all means - If you guys are willing to send me a different modem to try, I would be more than happy to replace the existing modem and test the new one.

I did test with a dcm 475 with firmware 2.16 and guess what.
It made not one bit of difference.

Of course its still the modems fault and they seem to completely disregard the fact that it was ruled out.
junkmail2002
join:2011-07-07
Richmond Hill, ON

junkmail2002

well it sounds like they will be sending me another modem, so I will let you know.
Tweaker_101
join:2011-07-12
Ottawa, ON

Tweaker_101 to Pharaoh11

to Pharaoh11
Well add me to the long list of Teksavvy customers having cable modem "reboot" issues. (Dropped line I assume?).
I'm in Ottawa, this problem seems to have started in the past month or two? Never an issue before.
btw: I signed up with Teksavvy and bought my Thomson DCM475 in late June 2011.

I got to this site via search engines and based on the number of results, this sure seems to be a wide spread problem. It would seem highly unlikely that so many peoples' modems are all failing in such numbers. All we are looking for is answers here. I've been very pleased with Teksavvy & have recommended them, however my one criticism is lack of customer communication/support. Went through hoops to get here.
** I like the idea of a "Master Ticket" as Pharaoh11 suggested.**

PS: How can I tell what firmware version I have? (If it even matters). I'll be following this thread closely... TY!

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

said by Tweaker_101:

I've been very pleased with Teksavvy & have recommended them, however my one criticism is lack of customer communication/support. Went through hoops to get here.

PS: How can I tell what firmware version I have? (If it even matters). I'll be following this thread closely... TY!

Welcome to the Teksavvy forum here on DSLr, glad you found it. Reading around and using the forum search will help you to narrow down the how to's and so on and yes sooner or later someone else with the same modem you have will fill you in on details about how to check your line stats and get to your modem's GUI page.

For more direct interaction with TSI staff, you can PM TSI Martin or leave your questions/queries on the TSI secure forum here: »/forum ··· avdirect and be a bit patient for a response.

Regulars on here are quite active so likely you'll bump into someone day or night that might give you a leg up. Cheers
schnauz
join:2007-12-10
Nepean, ON

schnauz to Tweaker_101

to Tweaker_101
I'm on my 3rd day without a modem reboot now, hopefully Rogers has stopped tinkering with whatever they were tinkering with. Not holding my breath on it though, and peak speeds are definitely becoming an issue in the last few weeks too (4-5Mb in the evening).
Pharaoh11
join:2011-02-01
Toronto, ON

Pharaoh11 to Tweaker_101

to Tweaker_101
said by Tweaker_101:

Well add me to the long list of Teksavvy customers having cable modem "reboot" issues. (Dropped line I assume?).
I'm in Ottawa, this problem seems to have started in the past month or two? Never an issue before.
btw: I signed up with Teksavvy and bought my Thomson DCM475 in late June 2011.

I got to this site via search engines and based on the number of results, this sure seems to be a wide spread problem. It would seem highly unlikely that so many peoples' modems are all failing in such numbers. All we are looking for is answers here. I've been very pleased with Teksavvy & have recommended them, however my one criticism is lack of customer communication/support. Went through hoops to get here.

Open your browser of choice and go to »192.168.100.1

At the top software version is what firmware you got..either 2.08 or 2.16

Like schnauz i noticed a drastic drop in modem resets so it seems someone actually start paying attention and no just blaming the modem for all the issues.

Have noticed the power of the 8 bonded channels has dropped from around 5 to less then four.
Tweaker_101
join:2011-07-12
Ottawa, ON

Tweaker_101

Thank you very much. Looks like it's firmware v2.08
(I thought that Teksavvy did auto-upgrades to firmware?).

Not sure what you mean by the power of the 8 bonded channels.
but here is what my 8 channels show:

Cable Signal Details
Forward Path:
Channel Frequency Power SNR BER Modulation
1 591.0 MHz 12.3 dBmV 38.5 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
2 597.0 MHz 12.3 dBmV 38.2 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
3 603.0 MHz 12.6 dBmV 38.4 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
4 609.0 MHz 12.7 dBmV 38.4 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
5 615.0 MHz 13.2 dBmV 38.3 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
6 621.0 MHz 12.9 dBmV 38.0 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
7 633.0 MHz 12.2 dBmV 37.5 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
8 639.0 MHz 12.0 dBmV 37.8 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM

In any event, modem status is operational and I have not seen a reboot for the first time today. The event log showed previous errors but all ok now. My loss of synch usually happened when remote computing or using VPN.

(With some bias I will admit), I suspect the problem was probably with Rogers. :/

PS: Got a promo flyer from them today with their promise of HIGH SPEEDS and an awesome 60 Gig limit. LOL

Thanks again for your assistance. I can see that i'm in a good forum.

PureStyle
join:2009-04-04

PureStyle

Hmm I am thinking about calling in (again), wondering what would a tech have me do this time.

Connection drops are becoming unacceptable.