uniqs
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Why do you use forums as your first line of support?

This is an honest question and I really look forward to reading your answers so please share your opinions on this. This isn't a BHN specific thing so feel free to answer generally nor do I want this thread to turn into a rant fest. I'm seeking your honest answers and feelings on this. And yes...your feedback may very well shape things for the future so take this seriously

TURBO1112
join:2010-04-28
Dade City, FL

TURBO1112

I feel more confident in the answers I will receive here. I feel like since most of us know more then basics info that you have to go through, that we can skip that step here for the most part.

Hardy101
@rr.com

Hardy101

Anon

Because the resolution of my issues may assist others. I have searched this forum in the past and finding the same or similar issue(s) I had been encountering....lead to a better understanding of the problem and a Fix. The new direct forum has its place, but its drawback is it only helps 1 person whereas in the public forum, it could help many.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by Hardy101 :

Because the resolution of my issues may assist others. I have searched this forum in the past and finding the same or similar issue(s) I had been encountering....lead to a better understanding of the problem and a Fix. The new direct forum has its place, but its drawback is it only helps 1 person whereas in the public forum, it could help many.

Understand your concern but that wasn't my question besides the direct forum is used where it needs to be one on one due to account specific issues in which case it wouldn't help many anyway. You have to be careful not to assume that just because your issue "looks" like someone elses doesn't mean that it is...in fact less than a handful of issues are related to anyone else despite appearances.

My question is very specific. Why do YOU use forums for your first line of support. Not specifc to this forum or direct forums JUST forums.
bighorn1
Premium Member
join:2004-06-19
BD, CA

bighorn1

Premium Member

1) Phone system is annoying (press this, press that, currently nobody available, please wait, blah blah)

2) Usually canned answers from 1st level tech support. To be fair, that applies more for RR than BH.

3) It's easier to describe problem here, especially if issue is more complex. On the phone, many things get lost or misunderstood. Sometimes you talk about white, and the person on the other side about black.

4) Usually here in forum, you get relevant answer quicker due to several savvy BH people posting. That doesn't necessarily mean the problem is solved, but you get general idea what you should next.

5) It's easier to understand possible solution to your problem, because you can reread it several times (in case you didn't get it first time). It's more comfortable, less stresfull than hanging on the phone.

6) For more general troubleshooting, it may be useful to more people with similar issues.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by bighorn1:

1) Phone system is annoying (press this, press that, currently nobody available, please wait, blah blah)

2) Usually canned answers from 1st level tech support. To be fair, that applies more for RR than BH.

3) It's easier to describe problem here, especially if issue is more complex. On the phone, many things get lost or misunderstood. Sometimes you talk about white, and the person on the other side about black.

4) Usually here in forum, you get relevant answer quicker due to several savvy BH people posting. That doesn't necessarily mean the problem is solved, but you get general idea what you should next.

5) It's easier to understand possible solution to your problem, because you can reread it several times (in case you didn't get it first time). It's more comfortable, less stresfull than hanging on the phone.

6) For more general troubleshooting, it may be useful to more people with similar issues.

Thank you for the very detailed response...guys/gals this is the kind of response I'm looking for so when responding keep in mind how he answered the questions...this feedback is very helpful so keep it coming

Bighorn since you took the time to provide such excellent feedback on my first question I want to ask a second of YOU (and only you...when the time comes I will ask others the same queston).

Where can we improve the experience for you here? What do you need, what would you like to see, generally speaking how can we make it better?

Beachie
Where is Shelly Miscavige?
join:2001-07-12
Saint Petersburg, FL

Beachie to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
A forum provides a searchable reference for an issue.
bighorn1
Premium Member
BD, CA

bighorn1 to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

Where can we improve the experience for you here? What do you need, what would you like to see, generally speaking how can we make it better?

Well, I don't know if that's feasible here in the West, because of much smaller market (not sure if the current automated system is the same in the East), but what I'd really like to see are separate phone numbers for sales, billing and tech support, instead of having to fight through that phone system (which can be very frustrating at times)

Also, when larger outages happen and BH reps are very busy, it would be great if there would be some sort of automated estimate of how long it would take to get somebody on the line.

For example "You are 14th person in the queue and it may take about 45 minutes before next representative is available" (similar to what some telcos have).

Other than that, I'm pretty much pleased with BH support

BH finally have official reps here, so that's off the list too (BTW good job on that).

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

1 recommendation

fatness to Hardy101

to Hardy101
said by Hardy101 :

Because the resolution of my issues may assist others.

That is why I began using this site many years ago, before I even registered as a member: There were problem/resolution threads on many topics: provider-related, hardware-related, software-related. I found many answers without even having to post. And when I couldn't find the answer I'd post, knowing both that I'd usually get help fairly quickly, and that the topic later might help others.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to bighorn1

Premium Member

to bighorn1
said by bighorn1:

said by BHNtechXpert:

Well, I don't know if that's feasible here in the West, because of much smaller market (not sure if the current automated system is the same in the East), but what I'd really like to see are separate phone numbers for sales, billing and tech support, instead of having to fight through that phone system (which can be very frustrating at times)

Also, when larger outages happen and BH reps are very busy, it would be great if there would be some sort of automated estimate of how long it would take to get somebody on the line.

For example "You are 14th person in the queue and it may take about 45 minutes before next representative is available" (similar to what some telcos have).

Other than that, I'm pretty much pleased with BH support

BH finally have official reps here, so that's off the list too (BTW good job on that).

Once again excellent answers BUT they don't apply to the question So let me try again... (and again this question only applies to you Bighorn)

Where can we improve the experience for you HERE (at DSLR)? What do you need, what would you like to see, generally speaking how can we make it better?
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert to TURBO1112

Premium Member

to TURBO1112
said by TURBO1112:

I feel more confident in the answers I will receive here. I feel like since most of us know more then basics info that you have to go through, that we can skip that step here for the most part.

Don't assume I'm going to skip those basic steps (the steps all should follow) when troubleshooting. Chances are unless I know you from previous ecounters you will still go through those same steps here in the forums. But then you already know that about me don't you
k2rj
Premium Member
join:2005-03-24
Cape Canaveral, FL

k2rj to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
I don't use a forum for the 1st line of support for everything... (e.g. a phone call is more appropriate and faster if I have an outage or my service is somehow screwed-up (lost tiers of channels, etc.) But for a "soft problem" such as an operational change in the behavior of the DVR, inability to resolve name servers, etc., a quick look at the forum will often tell the story of what is going on... (often, even without having to post myself!) These "soft" problems are the most difficult to communicate to traditional first-line support and where I find the forum to be most valuable.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by k2rj:

I don't use a forum for the 1st line of support for everything... (e.g. a phone call is more appropriate and faster if I have an outage or my service is somehow screwed-up (lost tiers of channels, etc.) But for a "soft problem" such as an operational change in the behavior of the DVR, inability to resolve name servers, etc., a quick look at the forum will often tell the story of what is going on... (often, even without having to post myself!) These "soft" problems are the most difficult to communicate to traditional first-line support and where I find the forum to be most valuable.

Thank you and while I admit that your approach saves me time to work on the more difficult issues and I do appreciate that ...I should remind you that you can utilize me for everything with just a very few exceptions (most you will not encounter here anyway).
k2rj
Premium Member
join:2005-03-24
Cape Canaveral, FL

k2rj

Premium Member

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by k2rj:

Thank you and while I admit that your approach saves me time to work on the more difficult issues and I do appreciate that ...I should remind you that you can utilize me for everything with just a very few exceptions (most you will not encounter here anyway).

I appreciate that! Frankly, I have so few problems with BH that you'd feel like the proverbial Maytag repairman if you had to depend on me for work! I like to check-in on this forum just to see what is happening... Hope you're feeling better!
khollister
join:2010-01-10
Oviedo, FL

khollister to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
I tend to use forums instead of telephone support due to the frustration of the phone system and the fact that I get higher quality answers here.

I have tried chat several times and seem to get formal, canned answers - it doesn't seem like I'm talking to someone who has a clue, but is reading from a script.

The forums is like going straight to tier 2/3 support without the annoying first tier.

I also like not being tied to a phone sitting on hold - I can read and post in the forum at my convenience.

I also love email, hate voicemail - voicemail (and telephone support) is too linear, I don't have the patience for it.
tim tim tim
join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim

I use forums in general when possible so I dont have to deal with the phone reps and so im not stuck on the phone. I think most of the younger generation feel the same way, we would much rather do a chat (with a real person, minus the generic staged responses as much as possible) then sit on the phone.
Providing this outlet would free up phones for the older generation who prefer to have that phone conversation (once again, limit the generic responses as much as possible).

This isnt bhn specific, just forums in general.. I wish more companies I deal with would provide internet support (chats and forums) instead of phones. (again, I Stress the limiting of generic responses!)
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to khollister

Premium Member

to khollister
said by khollister:

I tend to use forums instead of telephone support due to the frustration of the phone system and the fact that I get higher quality answers here.

I have tried chat several times and seem to get formal, canned answers - it doesn't seem like I'm talking to someone who has a clue, but is reading from a script.

The forums is like going straight to tier 2/3 support without the annoying first tier.

I also like not being tied to a phone sitting on hold - I can read and post in the forum at my convenience.

I also love email, hate voicemail - voicemail (and telephone support) is too linear, I don't have the patience for it.

Great answers thank you!

Alright now it's your turn with this question (and only you please)

Where can we improve the experience for you HERE (at DSLR)? What do you need, what would you like to see, generally speaking how can we make it better?
khollister
join:2010-01-10
Oviedo, FL

khollister

said by BHNtechXpert:

Great answers thank you!

Alright now it's your turn with this question (and only you please)

Not too sure what I could suggest here at DSLR - you and Tim are very responsive and I don't see too many folks appear to walk away without getting assistance to whatever their problem is.

One thing that would be great is the ability to directly schedule a tech to come out (if the consensus here is that it is needed) here, rather than having to deal with the phone people or the chat formula (Hi, my name is Buffy, how can I assist you today?). That extends to a number of items that I find really frustrating that I have to deal with some clueless human on - changing service, scheduling a service call, exchanging defective equipment, etc.

You are great at interceding with the default service procedures to help expedite getting to the root of the problem, but I still have to go through the normal channels to instigate the service call(s). Any way to short circuit that via the private forum in the future?

And BTW, Tim, I am the "older generation" (57) and I still hate dorking around with some 'droid on the phone. It's not that I hate talking to real people, I just don't have the patience for talking to people that aren't value-added when I am trying to solve a specific problem.
bighorn1
Premium Member
BD, CA

bighorn1 to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

Once again excellent answers BUT they don't apply to the question So let me try again... (and again this question only applies to you Bighorn)

'tim tim tim' and you do good job, so there's not much to improve IMO. I guess, the most difficult part will be to keep it at that level.

Maybe you could get one more BH person to post here to cover times (and topics) when your or tim tim tim aren't available.
Keiro
join:2005-10-25
Birmingham, AL

Keiro to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
First and foremost reason - I dislike dealing with people through SIPRelay. (»siprelay.com btw if you're wondering.) or using my SorensonVRS video phone.

Second - I have trouble with communicating my issues through the phone due to SorensonVRS, Purple, ZVRS and many other videophone relay companies for the Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing have limits on how long you can respond. Purple has a 30 sec max response.

Third - If I get disconnected on the phone due to me relying on the Internet for my phone, that is, the videophone, I have to waste time in getting back to the same person that I dropped the call with due to something. (troubleshooting step that requires rebooting modem/router, or interruptions in service, etc.)

Fourth - It's much easier to post here and get a direct response from people in the know, and much easier to be able to describe the issue in extreme detail after having tested it numerous times. (ie, yes, already rebooted modem, router, computer, etc etc etc. with proof following the steps.)

And lastly... I don't have to get frustrated with having to deal with the automated voice response system.

Also, btw, I will be returning to BHN as a customer soon, I think.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to khollister

Premium Member

to khollister
One thing that would be great is the ability to directly schedule a tech to come out (if the consensus here is that it is needed) here, rather than having to deal with the phone people or the chat formula (Hi, my name is Buffy, how can I assist you today?). That extends to a number of items that I find really frustrating that I have to deal with some clueless human on - changing service, scheduling a service call, exchanging defective equipment, etc.

Um where have you been? I schedule techs and a ton more than that all the time This is nothing new...been doing it for a very long time. There is NOTHING I can't get addressed regardless of your region.

but I still have to go through the normal channels to instigate the service call(s). Any way to short circuit that via the private forum in the future?

No you don't...what gave you that impression? Why would you want to short circuit the private forum? That's where we take care of all the above you just mentioned. That is not going away as I have no intention of speaking to customers about account specific things in public. Surely you understand why....
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert to bighorn1

Premium Member

to bighorn1
said by bighorn1:

said by BHNtechXpert:

'tim tim tim' and you do good job, so there's not much to improve IMO. I guess, the most difficult part will be to keep it at that level.

Maybe you could get one more BH person to post here to cover times (and topics) when your or tim tim tim aren't available.

Scratchin my head on this one You mean I'm not available enough for you? Really? The avg response time is just minutes 7 days a week which is better than ANY support forum I know of in the industry And I've been in the industry a long long time
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert to Keiro

Premium Member

to Keiro
said by Keiro:

First and foremost reason - I dislike dealing with people through SIPRelay. (»siprelay.com btw if you're wondering.) or using my SorensonVRS video phone.

Second - I have trouble with communicating my issues through the phone due to SorensonVRS, Purple, ZVRS and many other videophone relay companies for the Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing have limits on how long you can respond. Purple has a 30 sec max response.

Third - If I get disconnected on the phone due to me relying on the Internet for my phone, that is, the videophone, I have to waste time in getting back to the same person that I dropped the call with due to something. (troubleshooting step that requires rebooting modem/router, or interruptions in service, etc.)

Fourth - It's much easier to post here and get a direct response from people in the know, and much easier to be able to describe the issue in extreme detail after having tested it numerous times. (ie, yes, already rebooted modem, router, computer, etc etc etc. with proof following the steps.)

And lastly... I don't have to get frustrated with having to deal with the automated voice response system.

Also, btw, I will be returning to BHN as a customer soon, I think.

Thank you Keiro. Your answers were a bit of an eye opener for me. It makes total sense why the deaf would find forums far easier (especially when you are in a good support forum). Over the years (many years) I have fielded my fair share of relay calls and they are extremely difficult and frustrating to say the least. The translation process and inherent delays make it very difficult to go through the process. Forums on the other hand allow you to be very specific without the risk of lost translation (or lack of understanding on the relay co part) and obviously the reverse for me. Your response has given me a great idea that I'll be working on next week...thank you again Great great feedback

Now it's your turn...I have a slightly different question for you.

How can I make our forums process here easier for YOU? What would you like to see added that might add value or make things easier or save you time?
Keiro
Birmingham, AL

Keiro

said by BHNtechXpert:

Thank you Keiro. Your answers were a bit of an eye opener for me. It makes total sense why the deaf would find forums far easier (especially when you are in a good support forum). Over the years (many years) I have fielded my fair share of relay calls and they are extremely difficult and frustrating to say the least. The translation process and inherent delays make it very difficult to go through the process. Forums on the other hand allow you to be very specific without the risk of lost translation (or lack of understanding on the relay co part) and obviously the reverse for me. Your response has given me a great idea that I'll be working on next week...thank you again Great great feedback

Now it's your turn...I have a slightly different question for you.

How can I make our forums process here easier for YOU? What would you like to see added that might add value or make things easier or save you time?

SIPRelay's much more easier to use, but there's still a time-limit on responses.

I've found SIPRelay to be much more faster and reliable in getting accurate responses across, but from time to time, there'll be some confusion.

That aside... I'm now curious as to exactly what you're working on, and you're very welcome!

I would personally like to skip the troubleshooting steps, particularly if I've already done them (and pasted the results of said steps and/or described the results of said steps).

Most of the time, it's not an issue on my end, but when it's my end, I own up to it. (At least, I would if I didn't realize it was my end first already...)

Since I tend to typically get Business-class service, I'd like to at least be able to make clear that there's a policy in place for certain stuff. (ie, in the above original post I made, there's a videophone lurking about on my network that I use regularly, that should never, ever be disconnected, no matter the reason, unless it's a bad cable, or a bad modem, and the ports for said videophone should never, ever be closed.)

It'd be awesome if you could pass on that tidbit of info if I ever have to make a forum post requesting support from you or someone else here... to the technician.

That's what I'd like to see added when you send technicians out - the ability to inform the technician that hey, there's this $item that shouldn't be disconnected unless it's bad cable or modem.

Or for whatever other item that needs to stay in place, no matter what.

The other thing that I'd like to mention that makes it easier to keep track of stuff is to enable monitoring for certain devices that seem to be particularly aggravating. Or troublesome, due to various factors... like the weather, for example. Great way to keep track of when, specifically, said modem falls off the network. And for how long, particularly if, as mentioned here a few times, where the connection seems to mysteriously stabilize after a few hours. (That's the dew/water drying off...)

For example, I have a Nagios instance somewhere around here off-site monitoring the modem and notifying my cell phone if it drops off the network. Edit: It only notifies me if it's been off the network for more than 10 minutes. Just to clarify.

Any way we could get that sort of notification service? Perhaps as an add-on service for Biz customers?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

It'd be awesome if you could pass on that tidbit of info if I ever have to make a forum post requesting support from you or someone else here... to the technician.

I have no problem with that but I'm a bit confused about your statement as far as the tech disconnecting things. Depending on the issue the tech will need to isolate problems and that from time to time will include removing devices sequentially. Otherwise the tech shouldn't be removing equipment without first talking to you. Can you give me an example?
Mr Steveo
join:2002-01-31
Tampa Bay FL

Mr Steveo to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
Because this forum has extremely knowledgeable and helpful Bright House professionals such as BHNtecheXpert and tim tim tim.

No question calling BHN tech support on the phone connects me to a cheerful professional individual. But more often than not, these folks are not so well versed in extremely technical matters.

Furthermore, in our current culture there is a bad condition that afflicts customer support telephone staff:
It used to be considered professional if when you don't have the correct answer you admit you do not know but will transfer the call to someone who does.
But for some odd reason, customer service telephone reps these days seem to think if they don't have an answer it makes them looks stupid. So these folks tend to "make up" an answer that they think is right and sounds good, even if they have no clue.
This results in the customer getting incorrect information or no real help.

On the other hand, customer support forums like these tend to attract the technically minded.
And if someone posts a bone headed answer, there is fortunately going to be someone knowledgeable who jumps into the conversation to ultimately provide the correct answer.

Thus, the "peer review" nature of online forums, bypassing the telephone staff who might make up an answer, and also having tim tim tim and BHNtechXpert are the reasons I prefer - Here.

Keiro
Birmingham, AL

Keiro to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

I have no problem with that but I'm a bit confused about your statement as far as the tech disconnecting things. Depending on the issue the tech will need to isolate problems and that from time to time will include removing devices sequentially. Otherwise the tech shouldn't be removing equipment without first talking to you. Can you give me an example?

Sure. The videophone I use essentially uses the modem as a gateway, nothing more, nothing less. It does exactly one thing - video communications.

It's more or less a preference to not screw with the setup for video communications.

I haven't had an instance where a tech removed equipment I personally owned from the CPE end, but I've seen techs remove my former roommates' stuff to do troubleshooting.

Not that I mind, but I just hate having to put the setup back up the way it was, particularly if the tech or someone else not at our end decides to clear out settings in the modem/gateway if it's business class.

... And I've had more than one instance where I've specifically told them, "Keep these $ports open, after you clear out the settings please." and they don't do this.

Granted, this was more or less while I was still learning about SMC modems and just how horribly bad they are at being a transparent modem.

That reminds me. Do you guys use SMC modems for your business class customers?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Granted, this was more or less while I was still learning about SMC modems and just how horribly bad they are at being a transparent modem.

Got it and yes we still have some SMC modems out there for BC folks. To be honest with you they bridge just fine. I'm one of the rare residential folks that still have one right here and it performs flawlessly in bridge mode. The trick is...you can't bridge it yourself...we have to. If for any reason you do hard reset on that modem you kill the script that puts it into bridge mode and then someone from the office has to bridge the device again. Otherwise it performs flawlessly just as a modem when bridged.

The ONLY issue the SMC has and it only affects those of us with superfast routers is that the script takes time to run...before it's executed the modem is in DHCP mode and it will hand out an IP address to the router if the router is waiting. Sooo router gets its dynamic IP says oooh I'm happy and meanwhile the SMC switches to bridge mode leaving the router hanging and happy with a 192. and thus no connectivity to the outside world. The fix for this is a simple router reboot but I got a bit fancy with that and instead have a IP powe controller that simply polls a few sites and when it fails to connect autoboots the router. Problem solved...
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Keep the feedback coming guys overall this has been great stuff
Keiro
Birmingham, AL

Keiro to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

Got it and yes we still have some SMC modems out there for BC folks. To be honest with you they bridge just fine. I'm one of the rare residential folks that still have one right here and it performs flawlessly in bridge mode. The trick is...you can't bridge it yourself...we have to. If for any reason you do hard reset on that modem you kill the script that puts it into bridge mode and then someone from the office has to bridge the device again. Otherwise it performs flawlessly just as a modem when bridged.

The ONLY issue the SMC has and it only affects those of us with superfast routers is that the script takes time to run...before it's executed the modem is in DHCP mode and it will hand out an IP address to the router if the router is waiting. Sooo router gets its dynamic IP says oooh I'm happy and meanwhile the SMC switches to bridge mode leaving the router hanging and happy with a 192. and thus no connectivity to the outside world. The fix for this is a simple router reboot but I got a bit fancy with that and instead have a IP powe controller that simply polls a few sites and when it fails to connect autoboots the router. Problem solved...

Eh. The SMC doesn't do true bridge-mode... but I'll leave it at that.

The other thing I'd like to see improved is the guide you used to do... for having awesome service on Lightning. I recalled you did those guides, but for some reason you took them down.

I was saddened to see them go... I'd LOVE to see them brought back, particularly since we're going with ever-faster service.