spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FrugalFreaky

join:2012-03-12
reply to BHNtechXpert

Re: Why do you use forums as your first line of support?

I'm looking for forum that is not controlled. Where we are free to share Our outrage but seems that opinions are being contained web wide. Can't even post opinion on BH FB page. Not healthy to present only one side of an argument. Thats why I came here.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:161
said by FrugalFreaky:

I'm looking for forum that is not controlled. Where we are free to share Our outrage but seems that opinions are being contained web wide. Can't even post opinion on BH FB page. Not healthy to present only one side of an argument. Thats why I came here.

This is a public forum, we have no control over any posts here any more than you do. You are free to share how you feel at any time just as we are free to respond to any post you may have. We are all guests of DSLR.

I have responded to your direct forums thread btw. Hope that explains things a little better.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

Noah Vail
Son made my Avatar
Premium
join:2004-12-10
SouthAmerica
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Bright House Net..

1 recommendation

reply to BHNtechXpert
Forums are still the richest source of solutions to technical problems.

Compared to blogs, a thread is more likely to thoroughly detail the problem at hand.
That helps me figure out if the solution presented is a good fit for the problem I'm trying to solve.

Sometimes I discover lots of other people have my issue and no answer is available.
On rare occasion, I'm able to craft or puzzle out the solution we're all looking for.

When that happens, it's very important to me to get that information out there - in a way that most people can make use of it.
I'm grateful when I can add my bit.
--
The Dark Tower's Skynet evolves from 4chan.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by Noah Vail:

Forums are still the richest source of solutions to technical problems.

Compared to blogs, a thread is more likely to thoroughly detail the problem at hand.
That helps me figure out if the solution presented is a good fit for the problem I'm trying to solve.

Sometimes I discover lots of other people have my issue and no answer is available.
On rare occasion, I'm able to craft or puzzle out the solution we're all looking for.

When that happens, it's very important to me to get that information out there - in a way that most people can make use of it.
I'm grateful when I can add my bit.

Howdy NV!

Thank you.... I agree
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

JeffMD

join:2002-08-16
Edgewater, FL
kudos:1
reply to BHNtechXpert
I use forums as my first line of support because they are usually quicker to get through for common questions and problems. Especially when the problem comes down to a specific piece of hardware, I can search for that hardware and come up with a known problem, or if its not a problem and I probably have a more general issue like a broken device.

They are also a good source of backward reviews. Take wireless routers for example. It it is hard to say this one is better then that one in the same price range so instead I look up problems they had. Did it have problems with laptops and ipods? Is the administration menu system not working like it should or is it sluggish? Does it overheat?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by JeffMD:

I use forums as my first line of support because they are usually quicker to get through for common questions and problems. Especially when the problem comes down to a specific piece of hardware, I can search for that hardware and come up with a known problem, or if its not a problem and I probably have a more general issue like a broken device.

They are also a good source of backward reviews. Take wireless routers for example. It it is hard to say this one is better then that one in the same price range so instead I look up problems they had. Did it have problems with laptops and ipods? Is the administration menu system not working like it should or is it sluggish? Does it overheat?

Good points and thank you Jeffmd. Haven't seen you in while
--

jeremycafe

join:2009-03-03
Orlando, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

This is an honest question and I really look forward to reading your answers so please share your opinions on this. This isn't a BHN specific thing so feel free to answer generally nor do I want this thread to turn into a rant fest. I'm seeking your honest answers and feelings on this. And yes...your feedback may very well shape things for the future so take this seriously

I started coming here because I spent over a year being elevated and reset to first tier tech support over and over again as my problem was never fixed. I came on here to rant about how much I was fed up. As a result, two very helpful BHN employees who actually know what they are doing provided support.

So short answer: I come here because I know the experienced tech's will provide assistance. If I call the support number, it will be weeks of unnecessary home visits and replacing lines that don't need to be replaced.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by jeremycafe:

said by BHNtechXpert:

This is an honest question and I really look forward to reading your answers so please share your opinions on this. This isn't a BHN specific thing so feel free to answer generally nor do I want this thread to turn into a rant fest. I'm seeking your honest answers and feelings on this. And yes...your feedback may very well shape things for the future so take this seriously

I started coming here because I spent over a year being elevated and reset to first tier tech support over and over again as my problem was never fixed. I came on here to rant about how much I was fed up. As a result, two very helpful BHN employees who actually know what they are doing provided support.

So short answer: I come here because I know the experienced tech's will provide assistance. If I call the support number, it will be weeks of unnecessary home visits and replacing lines that don't need to be replaced.

Thanks JC. Glad to have been able to help
--

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
Let's bring this back to the surface for some additional feedback from you guys

rebus9

join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Bright House Net..

3 edits
reply to bighorn1
said by bighorn1:

1) Phone system is annoying (press this, press that, currently nobody available, please wait, blah blah)

2) Usually canned answers from 1st level tech support. To be fair, that applies more for RR than BH.

3) It's easier to describe problem here, especially if issue is more complex. On the phone, many things get lost or misunderstood. Sometimes you talk about white, and the person on the other side about black.

4) Usually here in forum, you get relevant answer quicker due to several savvy BH people posting. That doesn't necessarily mean the problem is solved, but you get general idea what you should next.

5) It's easier to understand possible solution to your problem, because you can reread it several times (in case you didn't get it first time). It's more comfortable, less stresfull than hanging on the phone.

6) For more general troubleshooting, it may be useful to more people with similar issues.

Couldn't have said it much better.

I prefer the forums because:

a) Large numbers. If there is an outage or widespread issue, it's likely to be discussed here very quickly. There is often a thread going before Level 1 support even learns (or at least admits) there is a problem.

b) Honesty. Often vendors will gloss over a problem, even if they know one exists, or try to minimize what they disclose. My favorite is when a massive failure has occurred (fiber cut with no protect path, core router down, etc) where a large number of people are hard-down, and the carrier passes it off as "some customers may be experiencing degraded performance". Forum posts tell it like it is: "can't connect" or "totally down".

c) Large base of information. Often, each of us hears a tiny piece of the story. Discussing what we all know, collectively, puts the puzzle pieces together and builds a clear picture of what is really happening.

d) Time saver. If the issue is not critical, it's more convenient to post, go about my day and periodically check in on the responses. This beats wasting time sitting in a phone queue waiting to talk to a Level 1 support rep who may not even understand the problem at first. (I only call for complex issues beyond my reach to fix.)

e) It's already happened to someone else. Occasionally, some anomoly will happen that by ourselves, we can't quite pin down. But discussing it openly, someone will often pop up and say, "Hey, the same thing happened to me a few months ago, and we got it fixed by....."

f) We're taken more seriously. Provider employees who participate in forums take us more seriously and listen more carefully to the information we offer, because we (in general) are more savvy than the average customer.

To sum all that up in one sentence, forums enable us to (quickly) draw on a much broader range of curent information and past experience, and to get more honest information without the corporate P.R. filters scraping away the useful-- but often ugly-- truth.

rebus9

join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Bright House Net..
reply to khollister
said by khollister:

Not too sure what I could suggest here at DSLR - you and Tim are very responsive and I don't see too many folks appear to walk away without getting assistance to whatever their problem is.

IMO, BHN Tampa Bay is one of the best represented, most responsive companies in this forum, from the standpoint of provider employee participation.

You guys have embraced this form of communication quite seriously, and I give you high props for that.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
Thank you all for the great feedback (and kind words) please keep the posts coming.
Expand your moderator at work