Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango to Reimer

Premium Member

to Reimer

Re: [Voip.ms] Disabling SIP Helper in Tomato + Voip.ms

As far as I am aware, the SIP Helper will not cause the issues you're describing. However I haven't actually read the code for it so I don't know everything that it does.

The reason I suggest disabling it is that one of its "features" is that it causes SIP connections to disrespect the UDP Timeouts and time out after one hour. In theory, this is a good thing, because if it worked properly it would reduce NAT issues that prevent your phone from ringing.

In practice, if you're affected by the bug that prevents your ATA from registering upon reboot of the router or your ISP changing your public IP address, the SIP Helper will prevent the Unreplied UDP Timeout from working around the bug, and your VoIP equipment will never be able to make/receive calls without human intervention, OR without failing over to another server via DNS SRV.

I haven't seen as many reports of this lately, so either the bug has been fixed, or everyone reads this forum

I don't actually know what causes your 1-2 second delay (I don't have this) but I'll keep an eye on this thread because I would like to know.

Good luck,
Mango