@optonline.net

aannoonn

Anon

Sewer line repair

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
A co-worker had a sewer problem this week, with stuff backing up into the basement sink. It cost $30,000 to repair! They had to replace part of the pipes under the slab (some were still in OK condition) and the pipe from the house to the curb. Since you guys love this stuff, I thought I'd share the pics (ignore the date, they were taken Thursday).

bcool
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25

bcool

Premium Member

great photos. Dumb question: The homeowner had to pay the $30,000 out of his own pocket? How does somebody even come up with that kind of cash on the spot...well maybe some of you have 30 grand lying round...but wow!? Can you insure against such a disaster?

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to aannoonn

Premium Member

to aannoonn
I can believe the 30k bill. We had to have a section of line replaced. It was just in the lawn, buried about 15 feet down. That cost us 7k.

The local water company sells a low cost "insurance" on the water line. So if it breaks, most of the repair cost is covered. But I don't think there is such a thing for the sewage line.

Ken
MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN

3 recommendations

Ken to aannoonn

MVM

to aannoonn
For $30,000 your coworker could have bought that mini excavator, bought all the materials needed for the job, and still had money left over. The company that did that work probably only had about $5K in expenses on that job unless there is a lot more to it than you have shown.

aannoonn
@optonline.net

aannoonn to bcool

Anon

to bcool
said by bcool:

How does somebody even come up with that kind of cash on the spot...

$15k on each of two credit cards. Apparently the inside repair is partially(?) covered by the homeowner's insurance, so they'll get some money back. But there's no coverage for the outside work. The town is responsible for the pipe from the curb to the main sewer line.
KirkyInCT
join:2008-11-04
Higganum, CT

KirkyInCT to aannoonn

to aannoonn
Yeah, 30k sounds about right. A few months after moving into my first home, found a 13k bill to replace the elbow right before the city line. Homeowner is responsible all the way to the main line. it was roots, they found their way into the elbow by dislodging it which was apparently installed incorrectly.

In addition to the actual work, I needed to pay for the cops to monitor traffic, etc. Homeowners picked up all but $350, which was the cost of the elbow and labor to install that. Everything else was covered, I didn't question it, $350 was better than $13k.
harald
join:2010-10-22
Columbus, OH

harald to aannoonn

to aannoonn
I would be taking a hard look at the electrical system. That house was built at a time when they used copper for DWV! Looks to be around 1970.

Unless there are some strange soil situations, it is hard to believe that the pipe disintegrated that much without a few stray electrical currents.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium Member
join:2009-09-11

The Pig to aannoonn

Premium Member

to aannoonn
Doesn't home owners insurance cover these type of problems?

Bruschi
Premium Member
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod

Bruschi to aannoonn

Premium Member

to aannoonn
30K wow ripoff! We just had a full title V septic installed for a 4 bedroom house for $8500. Fully insured and and reputable company.
harald
join:2010-10-22
Columbus, OH

1 edit

harald to The Pig

to The Pig
No, not normally. They would cover it if the damage results from collapse of the building.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939 to Bruschi

Premium Member

to Bruschi
said by Bruschi:

30K wow ripoff! We just had a full title V septic installed for a 4 bedroom house for $8500. Fully insured and and reputable company.

All depends on your area. Replacing a chunk of sewer line with treeroots in it cost about $15k around here, for replacement and excavation of a 15ft long, 9 foot wide, 13 foot deep hole.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium Member
join:2009-09-11

The Pig to harald

Premium Member

to harald
said by harald:

No, not normally. They would cover it if the damage reultes from collapse of the building.

Oh!
Good to know!

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to aannoonn

MVM

to aannoonn
Homeowners insurance might cover any resulting damage, but certainly will not cover the repair.

$30K seems uber-high. I think your friend got hosed - big time.

As someone already mentioned, he could buy (not rent!) a nice used mini-ex, the materials, and still have at least $5K left over!

$30K would be 1/5 the value of my entire house!

I have lateral insurance, so I'm only liable for pipes under the basement slab. After that, it's a $300 deductible. Definitely worth the miniscule cost. Something everybody on a public sewer should look into.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to aannoonn

Premium Member

to aannoonn
A mini excavator like that is $250-300/day rental.
The depth of the excavation (as it appears in the photo) isn't deep enough to require a trench box, but if it did, add an extra $100/day rental for that.

Labor Ready or other temp agency can supply laborers @$15/hour with workers comp. insurance all-in. Say 3 workers x 8 hours x 3 days worst case = $1080

A heavy duty concrete breaker $200 rental.
Disposal bin $250

Pipe/glue/elbows $200

Laser level rental for slope setting $75/day

New grass - $2.00 per roll.
Concrete - $100/cubic yard (maybe 2 yards max).

Do the math.

He was what I call 1-800-Ripped-Off
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG

Premium Member

said by MaynardKrebs:

He was what I call 1-800-Ripped-Off

Somewhere out there there is a contractor with well lined pockets, that's for sure.

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium Member
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON

ArthurS to aannoonn

Premium Member

to aannoonn
Major rip off! I had tree roots in my sewer line, hired a local company to reline it with a resin liner, put in a backwater valve, run a new 3/4" water main, and add an additional drain in the basement. Grand total for the job, $7K, about $3K was the city's responsibility, $4K out of my pocket.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_ to aannoonn

Premium Member

to aannoonn
said by aannoonn :

A co-worker had a sewer problem this week, with stuff backing up into the basement sink. It cost $30,000 to repair! They had to replace part of the pipes under the slab (some were still in OK condition) and the pipe from the house to the curb. Since you guys love this stuff, I thought I'd share the pics (ignore the date, they were taken Thursday).

he/she should have gotten bids for it might have saved 9-25k $

my mom got her sewer line replaced for about 1,500$
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to aannoonn

to aannoonn
I think it is the panic that sets in for some people. How are we going to live without sewer. omg whatever it takes as soon as possible.
If you really had to probably get one of those long stay hotels for a month and still be way cheaper after shopping around and not panic.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya
You'd also have to apply for permits, and get an inspector. The town might require a licensed plumber.

One thing I learned about deep trenches like that. Don't go in them unless you are being paid to. I have heard about to many deaths involving trenches like that collapsing. Because hey weren't shored up correctly.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to aannoonn

MVM

to aannoonn
This afternoon I was talking to my neighbor down the street who just had this done recently. It was about 20' under the basement slab, and about 50' in the yard. It started at about 10' deep at the house and was about 15' at the street. Total bill was $6900. He had to pay a $300 deductible.

I've noticed a lot of these in my neighborhood lately. About every other house. I guess they were good for about 50-60 years.

I have a question for plumbers - why do they put cast iron in the dirt. I noticed mine is cast going into the slab, and the floor drains are cast too. Shouldn't that be clay?

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

Cast iron doesn't run the risk of fracturing with the cold.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO

nunya

MVM

How could cold be an issue at 10' below grade?

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

Well lets put it this way, does a pipe made out of ceramic buried 15 deep in the ground sound like a good idea?

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya

MVM

I don't think they are ceramic. They are clay. And they are buried 15' in the ground. And they lasted for 60 years. At the phone company, they lasted for 100 years and are still in use (duct runs).

Every one of the neighbors dug up so far has been clay pipe on outside of the house, not iron. So, it must transition somewhere under the slab. The main (city) sewer pipes under the street are clay pipe as well.
It seems like roots have been the main problem in my neighborhood.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to sk1939

Premium Member

to sk1939
said by sk1939:

Well lets put it this way, does a pipe made out of ceramic buried 15 deep in the ground sound like a good idea?

It sounds like a MUCH better idea then burying a cast iron pipe! Baked clay pipe has been around since 4000 B.C. and is still available today. As long as you keep roots away it'll last for a very long time.

(Terra cotta = clay-based unglazed ceramic)

/M

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to nunya

Mod

to nunya
said by nunya:

Every one of the neighbors dug up so far has been clay pipe on outside of the house, not iron. So, it must transition somewhere under the slab.

Here it would transition to Orangeburg at a cleanout a few feet from the house.

aannoonn
@optonline.net

aannoonn to MaynardKrebs

Anon

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

A heavy duty concrete breaker $200 rental.
Disposal bin $250
Concrete - $100/cubic yard (maybe 2 yards max).

They removed the sidewalk slab intact and put it back at the end of the job.