tao
Frazzlebats
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Lansing, MI

tao

Premium Member

[DSL] Just signed on, don't think this DSL is usable

35 Kbits up is a drag. should we beat this dead horse, or just get cable? Westell 7500 modem, firmware 5.02.00.07

Transceiver Statistics
Transceiver Revision A2pB030s1.d23a
Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_re-adsl
Data Path INTERLEAVED

Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 3359 35
Margin (dB) 8.8 5.9
Line Attenuation (dB) 43.5 55.1
Transmit Power (dBm) 16.1 9.4
FEC Errors 46669 0
HEC Errors 17 3
CRC Errors 20 19

Errored Seconds 13
LOS Errors 0

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

You've got huge issues with your line. Plug your modem into the NID, if you have one (See this FAQ: »Verizon DSL FAQ »What is a NID? ) and give us the Statistics that appear when plugged in. If there is little change or if they still look bad, you need to get a technician out to repair your line. That upload speed is unacceptable as well as those stats.

Once the line is repaired, we'll then decide if you should stick with DSL or if you should get Cable.

tao
Frazzlebats
Premium Member
Lansing, MI

tao

Premium Member

Thank you, I cannot access the NID, but will call to get a tech out to investigate line quality at the NID.

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

Sweet. Let us know how things go once they arrive.
FrontierMatt
join:2012-02-23
Fort Wayne, IN

FrontierMatt to tao

to tao
Hi Tao, I'm the Communications Manager for Frontier in Michigan and Indiana. If you run into any issues with getting a tech out to your home, please e-mail me with your contact information and I'll escalate to the General Manager and his team in your area to get it resolved. My company e-mail address is matt.kelley@ftr.com.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

Wow FrontierMatt - It certainly is nice to see you in here. It would be great if other managers in Frontier were as forthcoming and helpful.

tao
Frazzlebats
Premium Member
Lansing, MI

tao

Premium Member

Thanks for the replies, and thank you FrontierMatt for offering to help, I may need you yet. I got a call from Jeff who stated that there was a problem found in the line, but he fixed it. He stated that the upload speed was now in the 400s, but these tests tonight do not support that. Perhaps we need a new line from the jack to the NID, seems like an extreme signal drop over a 25 foot line(the distance from the jack to the NID) Don't know, I will call them back tomorrow. Appreciate the effort thus far for sure.

Frontier Speed Test

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

There isn't much of a change in stats. The download is anemic due to the limited upload, so I fully expect that to go up when the download is fixed.

If the problem is with the inside wiring, I would certainly check over everything inside. You want to be sure all jacks are free of corrosion, nothing is shorting out inside of the socket or behind the outlet, and you want to ensure any twists in the cabling (if it's not old quad style stuff) are preserved. Everything, even alarm systems and Satellite receivers, need to be on a filter if it connects to the telephone lines except for the modem, and the wiring for your telephone wiring should be neat. You should not be twisting cables around each other to connect them and using a single screw to lock it in place, as this does cause a ton of noise, especially with upstream (I see this all too often in this area. Big improvement in stats once I clean up this problem!). Punch blocks or wiring blocks are what you use for multi-line to one cable setups. The twist all cables into one epic connector solution works for phone, but not for DSL.

Either way, for sure a tech should be rolled to your home as well. They need to be sure your line is clean up to the NID, and if it is dirty from the NID to the home, that they at least help you find the problem. They won't re-wire your home without a fee, but they may set up a home-run for you without charge since the service hasn't worked right from day one.

tao
Frazzlebats
Premium Member
Lansing, MI

tao

Premium Member

Thanks for the response.

The home run would be easy. For whatever reason this was done originally, the line coming to the lone jack used inside is outside the house and comes inside through the window frame. Doesn't mean the rest of the house isn't wired, but it remains that the line could be isolated and a home run of 20-25 feet is all that is necessary.

As to the local home, there are no apparent sources of interference. As the line is outside for most of the run, it does not run parallel to any EMI source, the inside phone line runs long the base of a wall having no electrical outlets. The wire coming from the NID is two wires, the jack is older, having six screw downs. The cover is missing. So I will call Frontier back, might try to call Jeff, the local tech to see what we have to do. I can buy some telephone line and new jack to get that cleaned up.

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

Certainly speak to Frontier to see what else they can do for you.

Keep us posted

tao
Frazzlebats
Premium Member
Lansing, MI

tao

Premium Member

Much better Frontier did something Friday, then stopped out today to replace the phone jack. Cruising along at promised speeds. Thanks to all that helped.

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

No problem! Glad to hear they found and fixed the problem. What do your new stats look like?

tao
Frazzlebats
Premium Member
Lansing, MI

tao

Premium Member

These look so much better

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

I'd say. Huge improvement there. You could throw 15Mbps/1Mbps at that line with ease at this point.

friendly
@frontiercorp.com

friendly to tao

Anon

to tao
Tao,

It is very possible to have drops of noise from the NID to the jack and many things can interfere. Are you plugged right into modem with ethernet or wireless? do you have phone service and are all the jacks filtered? Is it filtered in the NID? Is the wire standard telephone wire(CAT3) or sub standard? CAT5 is best for any run but especially a straight run. Be patient some techs are more knowledgable than others. If it is wireless MANY things can effect your connection. Let us know if things improve or not so we can help!